Sponsored by:

SPASM or Techart Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 PM
silvertoy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SPASM or Techart Springs

Does anyone have direct experience with both OEM SPASM and Techart suspension springs? I have 2011 997.2 C2S with standard PASM suspension and would like the car to sit slightly lower. There is just too much wheel gap with the current PASM setup. I like the idea of SPASM springs since they are OEM parts, but unsure if the ride will be overly stiff. Car only has 15K miles, so no plans for coilovers or replacing shocks at this point.

Are SPASM springs stiffer than Techart? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

OT: I have the Eibach with PASM and it's great.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Techart don't release numbers for their spring rates calling them 'proprietary'.

SPASM is about 10% stiffer than PASM in the front (36n/mm SPASM vs. 33n/mm PASM)
For the rear SPASM is progressive 65 - 95 n/mm vs fixed rate 56n/mm for PASM (4WD PASM is slightly stiffer at 60n/mm)

So as a general rule SPASM is about 10% stiffer than PASM until you hit the secondary stiffer rate on the rears.

Eibach's (the best numbers I have) are 19 - 34n/mm front and 52- 90n/mm rear - very close to SPASM rates with the difference of progressive springs in the front - how much of the softer initial rate you get is dependant on how the springs are wound so I suspect not much. Eibach wind the techart springs to Techart specs - there are some subjective comparisons out there but no hard numbers.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoo
OT: I have the Eibach with PASM and it's great.
+1

I believe Techart springs are white Eibach's.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 PM
silvertoy
Rennlist Member

Good info on the spring rates. It's difficult to compare the Techart springs since they don't release any numbers and no one knows if they are identical to the Eibachs... Real world driving opinions would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone is in the Los Angeles area I would love to meet up for a drive.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:29 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertoy
Good info on the spring rates. It's difficult to compare the Techart springs since they don't release any numbers and no one knows if they are identical to the Eibachs... Real world driving opinions would be appreciated.
They are manufactured by Eibach, not identical.

FWIW, I was at Eibach recently. I have 17K miles on my 997.1 C2S so similar to your situation. With PASM on, the stock suspension became more firm but the trade off was it bounced more. Now with the Eibach's, the car has the addition stiffness similar to as if PASM was on.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rnia-love.html
Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have direct experience with both OEM SPASM and Techart suspension springs? I have 2011 997.2 C2S with standard PASM suspension and would like the car to sit slightly lower. There is just too much wheel gap with the current PASM setup. I like the idea of SPASM springs since they are OEM parts, but unsure if the ride will be overly stiff. Car only has 15K miles, so no plans for coilovers or replacing shocks at this point.

Are SPASM springs stiffer than Techart? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I installed Techart springs about 2 years ago and gave me the minor drop I was looking for, and the ride a bit stiffer. It was what I was looking to accomplish. A good balance as a daily driver and once, or twice a year track day. Good match for me and can't speak to the question on whether Eibach spring rates are the same as the Techart Eibach versions I installed. I also added TPC's DSC controller last year and as a whole made a big difference. By the way, I also installed RSS adjustable rear links and front adjustable toe/bump steer kit. As well as H&R front and rear sway bars to finish off the suspension tune. Could not be happier with these combinations and PASM features completely intact.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:24 PM
geeky
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

997.1 but here's by H&R review

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...gs-review.html
Old 06-23-2018, 12:35 AM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I inherited my 997.1 s with Techart springs. Like the lower profile don’t but rarely use w PASM as too stiff for city roads. Nice to be able to keep the sport on without PASM when aggressive.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

...I have 2011 997.2 C2S with standard PASM suspension and would like the car to sit slightly lower... I like the idea of SPASM springs since they are OEM parts....
SPASM (P17 option) included more parts than just the springs - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14659093

Like yourself, I also like the idea of OEM. If I were retrofitting elements of SPASM, I’d also consider the rear sway bar. But would likely pass on the rest (shocks/struts, controller, etc.).

Here’s an article by Pete Stout comparing PASM vs. SPASM: http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...s/the-hard-way

Karl.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:25 PM
silvertoy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henry_Rearden
If anyone is interested - I am selling a full set of SPASM shocks mated to Techart lowering springs from my 2009 911 C2S. Going to coilovers - plug and play solution.
How did the Techart springs compare to the SPASM springs? Sounds like you had both on your car. Thx
Old 06-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Custom_James
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011-sy-carreras
I installed Techart springs about 2 years ago and gave me the minor drop I was looking for, and the ride a bit stiffer. It was what I was looking to accomplish. A good balance as a daily driver and once, or twice a year track day. Good match for me and can't speak to the question on whether Eibach spring rates are the same as the Techart Eibach versions I installed. I also added TPC's DSC controller last year and as a whole made a big difference. By the way, I also installed RSS adjustable rear links and front adjustable toe/bump steer kit. As well as H&R front and rear sway bars to finish off the suspension tune. Could not be happier with these combinations and PASM features completely intact.

Hey guys, first time poster longtime lurker.

Sy-carerras, Did your car have PASM or SPASM to begin with? Im interested in doing the something similar but cant seem to find anyone thats done it on a SPASM car. My car (2011 C2S SPASM) has Eibach springs with the TPC DSC box. Huge ride improvement over SPASM springs on road but I did the box and the springs at the same time. Wish I had tested the oem SPASM springs with the DSC Box first because I'm thinking the additional stiffness of the spasm springs may be better from a performance perspective after a recent HPDE...but Im not sure. Im considering making a change to stiffer sways and drop links as you did but am interested to hear about the results on a SPASM equipped car as Ive read there are several bits of hardware that are different between PASM and SPASM from the factory. Would also be interested to hear how the sways and links specifically affected handling performance.

Pic of the recently red devil for reference. Wing is up for cooling, not posing.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Custom_James
...Huge ride improvement over SPASM springs on road but I did the box and the springs at the same time. Wish I had tested the oem SPASM springs with the DSC Box first...
I’ve heard that swapping between OEM and DSC controller is a quick job. You could swap back to your OEM unit for a test drive, to isolate that specific effect, and perhaps infer the SPASM vs. Eibach from prior memory.

Karl.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Custom_James
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point. I'll have to try that when I geg back in town.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:20 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Custom_James
Hey guys, first time poster longtime lurker.

Sy-carerras, Did your car have PASM or SPASM to begin with? Im interested in doing the something similar but cant seem to find anyone thats done it on a SPASM car. My car (2011 C2S SPASM) has Eibach springs with the TPC DSC box. Huge ride improvement over SPASM springs on road but I did the box and the springs at the same time. Wish I had tested the oem SPASM springs with the DSC Box first because I'm thinking the additional stiffness of the spasm springs may be better from a performance perspective after a recent HPDE...but Im not sure. Im considering making a change to stiffer sways and drop links as you did but am interested to hear about the results on a SPASM equipped car as Ive read there are several bits of hardware that are different between PASM and SPASM from the factory. Would also be interested to hear how the sways and links specifically affected handling performance.

Pic of the recently red devil for reference. Wing is up for cooling, not posing.
Quick response to the question on my stock set up "to begin with", I had PASM and added the items mentioned in my earlier post.

Quick Reply: SPASM or Techart Springs