Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 997... and it's really fun :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 AM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Congrats there buddy.. I, too, had (have) an affair with Saab's as well, although I prefer the Classic 900 models.. Still have 2 of them..
I like the look of the 900... one thing I'm enjoying about the 997, like in the Saab, is the forward visibility.

Where in TX are you?
I'm up in the northern Dallas 'burbs, Plano specifically. A lot of rennlisters in these parts?

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
@voodoo Looks like we have another Teggy owner. I used to have a DC back in the days.
Yes, the 'teggy! Nothing like the first (car) love. I had a 4-door GSR, 5MT, K&N intake, DC headers, APEXi exhaust, Eibach pro-kit... was young and had waaaay less responsibility, so great! When the VTEC would kick in (what like 6k rpm?) it was GLORIOUS. Had to stay between 5k and 8k rpm to enjoy the car, and yeah I did!

Congratulations and I rode in Ryan's (voodoo) 997.1 and he has the CAI, IPD, GT3TB, headers and exhaust. His car rips!
I'll look for his posts, can't wait to read up on more mods.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Hmm. I thought the Saab Viggen was an airplane?!?
Any who, enjoy your new car, and put lots of miles on it.
T
It is/was. Long since retired from the Swedish air force. A friend of mine flew it when it was still in use and said it was an absolute rocket. Overpowered to the point where range suffered due to the fuel consumption.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by jlert
Wow, this community is amazing! I'm a forum posting newb, so let me see if I can get the responses done right.

Yes! Totally agree, keeps me going back to the well.

I do miss that turbo kick, when it would finally decide to spool up that is... the rush felt so good.

Probably about a thousand miles already.

I had no idea, TOTALLY adding this to my list, will report back on results.

Another few things to add to my list, love the advice!

Got the site now, bookmarking for sure, thanks for the pointer!

Seriously, this car requires so much more concentration than my old SAAB, it's so worth it.

Another goodie, I needs me the bluetooth anyways, will give that a go.

Haven't finished installing much yet, just the intake, but here's that and the ride!

Mid-life baby!

First mod, woohoo!

Yes, I'm missing the heat shield... durn rubber grommets are dang near impossible, will try again later.
Very nice. Champion wheels too.

The Rubber grommets actually have threaded inserts in them. As you tighten the mounting screws, it compresses the rubber, which makes it bulge out and lock into the holes. Easiest way to get them out is to remove the screw all the way, then just put it back in a couple turns where it doesn't expand the rubber and use the screw as a handle to wiggle it back and forth as you're pulling up. Might even add a large washer before threading it back in to give yourself a handle or finger hold for more pull. The Fabspeed intake should have come with new ones to install with the heat shield and they don't have to be locked in super tight, just enough to compress the fitting and make the rubber expand and lock in.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm up in the northern Dallas 'burbs, Plano specifically. A lot of rennlisters in these parts?.
There are a few, including myself.. I'm over on the west side in FTW.. You should join PCA (Maverick region) as we have a very active region for all things Porsche. Lots of great people, and a ton of 997 owners. Events practically every weekend.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
It is/was. Long since retired from the Swedish air force. A friend of mine flew it when it was still in use and said it was an absolute rocket. Overpowered to the point where range suffered due to the fuel consumption.

That thing was amazing...could even land on rough airstrips and had short landing capabilities. The only thing missing from the Viggen was a gun
Old 07-08-2018, 04:28 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

There are a few, including myself.. I'm over on the west side in FTW.. You should join PCA (Maverick region) as we have a very active region for all things Porsche. Lots of great people, and a ton of 997 owners. Events practically every weekend.
Done! Just received my membership packet. Haven't been to a track in like 20 years, but looking forward to signing up for a beginner HPDE event whenever the weather cools.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Very nice. Champion wheels too.
I just looked this up and seems like it was a good upgrade by the previous owner, thanks for pointing this out. Used dealer didn't even mention it.

Originally Posted by Petza914
The Fabspeed intake should have come with new ones to install with the heat shield and they don't have to be locked in super tight, just enough to compress the fitting and make the rubber expand and lock in.
I saw in another post about shaving down the rubber just a little, that worked for me to get those new grommets in. After that I think it did expand like you mention.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:04 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Finally found time to complete install of the new Kline exhaust. UPS actually dented the mufflers, kudos to Felix at Kline for commissioning new ones and taking on the dispute with UPS himself.

Also, had a bit of trouble with the x-pipe where the bolts didn't quite line up, anyone else run into this with an x-pipe install?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:08 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

I'm like cursing for dang near an hour, not quite able to flex the pipe with one hand while trying to insert a bolt with the other, simply wouldn't budge.

So, the wifey walks in to check on me (make sure I'm still alive I guess), I'm frustrated and explain what's going on, that I'm probably gonna call it quits, do some more research, except here's how the next few minutes went...
Wifey: How's it going?
Me: (cursing) X-pipe won't go on, installed one side but bolt holes don't line up on the other side.
Wifey: Why not try bending it?
Me: (cursing some more) Tried, won't budge. (at this point, I'm wondering why are we having this conversation?)
Wifey: (after looking over what I've said) What if you tried bolts zig-zaggy? (translation, she meant one bolt one side at a time, alternating for each header)
Me: (my pride in full force, what do you know woman!?) ugh, that's not going to work! (then thinking about it more, she might be right)
Wifey: Just try it. I can help put the bolts on.
Me: (pride finally caving, this is probably a two person job anyways) Alright, I'll flex the pipe best I can while you put on the bolts.

Using both legs and arms and the header for leverage, I was able to flex the opposite header enough to allow the wifey to install the bolts. Crazy as it sounds, this actually worked. Props to the wifey.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! You’ll love it.

I’m also a former Saab guy. I owned a couple of them, but the most recent was a 2004 9-5 Aero 6MT. It was a great car. I attended the Saab Aero Academy at Road Atlanta right after I bought it, taught by Porsche driver Cass Whitehead. That was a fun experience.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to flex the opposite header enough to allow the wifey to install the bolts. Crazy as it sounds, this actually worked. Props to the wifey.
Now and then they ARE right more often than a broken clock!

However, be careful in letting them know.... you'll never hear the end of it.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

That’s an awesome story Jim! So glad you are enjoying the car and it’s been a pleasure working with you. I always love working with these guys at KlineBecause the value customer service the same way I do. Waiting for UPS to take care of you would’ve been a nightmare. These cars are much easier to work on in the shop in Vairo meant where the installers are experienced and used to it. Since there’s no flex in the system the wife is advice is the best but isn’t it always?! Haha, So glad you are enjoying it maybe get us some video clips! And anything else you need I’ll be glad to take care of you.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:13 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’m also a former Saab guy. I owned a couple of them, but the most recent was a 2004 9-5 Aero 6MT. It was a great car. I attended the Saab Aero Academy at Road Atlanta right after I bought it, taught by Porsche driver Cass Whitehead. That was a fun experience.
I really liked the 9-5 Aero, felt more solid than the 9-3, I think it had the same engine as the 9-3 Viggen? My interest in Saab started in high school when my friend's dad bought a red 9000 Aero, 3 spoke wheels and all, was a really sweet ride.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I'm like cursing for dang near an hour, not quite able to flex the pipe with one hand while trying to insert a bolt with the other, simply wouldn't budge.

So, the wifey walks in to check on me (make sure I'm still alive I guess), I'm frustrated and explain what's going on, that I'm probably gonna call it quits, do some more research, except here's how the next few minutes went...
Wifey: How's it going?
Me: (cursing) X-pipe won't go on, installed one side but bolt holes don't line up on the other side.
Wifey: Why not try bending it?
Me: (cursing some more) Tried, won't budge. (at this point, I'm wondering why are we having this conversation?)
Wifey: (after looking over what I've said) What if you tried bolts zig-zaggy? (translation, she meant one bolt one side at a time, alternating for each header)
Me: (my pride in full force, what do you know woman!?) ugh, that's not going to work! (then thinking about it more, she might be right)
Wifey: Just try it. I can help put the bolts on.
Me: (pride finally caving, this is probably a two person job anyways) Alright, I'll flex the pipe best I can while you put on the bolts.

Using both legs and arms and the header for leverage, I was able to flex the opposite header enough to allow the wifey to install the bolts. Crazy as it sounds, this actually worked. Props to the wifey.
Haha, my wife does the same thing and ends up giving me an extra hand. Glad you got it done. Which X pipe did you get?

Most installs require a test fitting with one bolt to hold it in place while you secure the opposite ends. On my Supra, installing a down pipe and exhaust w/resonator took some Macgyver'ing with some jackstands, floor jack, boxes with some extra shop manuals all wedged to help hold it in place while I put the bolts in. haha
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked the 9-5 Aero, felt more solid than the 9-3, I think it had the same engine as the 9-3 Viggen? My interest in Saab started in high school when my friend's dad bought a red 9000 Aero, 3 spoke wheels and all, was a really sweet ride.
Hello, fellow DC2 person! (B18C1 with a port job, represent! Scarlet R's just add weight!) And fellow Saab fan, too. Man. Just goes to prove this is where you go to find people with good taste in cars. And yes! The 9-5 Aero had the same B235 2.3/16v turbo as the 9-3 Viggen. I actually almost bought the Aero specifically because it came with the Road Atlanta class. Great motor in both. There's a blue over black 9-3 Viggen 5 door locally that probably puts down close to 500HP (and a lot of smoke for just one tire.)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:26 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rootwyrm
There's a blue over black 9-3 Viggen 5 door locally that probably puts down close to 500HP (and a lot of smoke for just one tire.)
Talk about torque steer, dang. I remember the first time driving my (all-stock) Saab, going through a corner and accelerating, but not gripping the wheel tightly... huge mistake! Was still fun, in a really quirky (dangerous?) sort of way.

Haha, my wife does the same thing and ends up giving me an extra hand. Glad you got it done. Which X pipe did you get?

Most installs require a test fitting with one bolt to hold it in place while you secure the opposite ends. On my Supra, installing a down pipe and exhaust w/resonator took some Macgyver'ing with some jackstands, floor jack, boxes with some extra shop manuals all wedged to help hold it in place while I put the bolts in. haha
All part of the DIY "experience" I guess

I installed a Kline x-pipe with 200 cell cats. Here's a pic (thoughts on how to prevent rust?).

Quick Reply: New (to me) 997... and it's really fun :)