Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 997... and it's really fun :)

Old 06-14-2018, 02:18 AM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New (to me) 997... and it's really fun :)

I've finally done it. Found a great deal on a 997.1 C2S, talked to wifey, next thing you know, got rid of my old SAAB Viggen (totally stock, more grocery getter) that I had for 14 years and bought the dream... and I still can't believe it.
The mid-life crisis

It's so much fun that I'm trying to find ways to use more gas. I think I've filled up the tank every week for the past few months (any else still feel that way?).

I remember back in the glory days, I got bit by the tuner bug and it felt great! (if I said B18C, would anyone know what I'm saying without googling?) Skipped that stuff with the SAAB, but getting that feeling back soon!

Anyways, a few things I noticed immediately:
- The engine doesn't sound so great, when I can actually hear it over the roar of the rear tires.
- I've ordered a new exhaust system via Felix at Kline and Sambo, based on the rave customer service reviews, so far they've been awesome! (i.e. helpful and responsive, means a ton to me)
- Went ahead and bought the Fabspeed carbon fiber dual intake, installed it, the engine does sound a bit better now.
- 1st to 2nd gear shifts, I can't seem to make that a smoooooth transition.
- In the 2000-3000 rpm range, there's this really weird hesitation or lurch behavior whenever using just part throttle, kinda goes away if I floor it in that rpm range... "charming quality" from what I'm reading?
- Some strange creaking from what sounds like the rear glass, not sure if there's something wrong there or not.
- Sound volume on the stereo doesn't remember where I left it between starts, defaults to a level that's a bit too loud for me every time.
- About the engine again, still getting used to the fact that it's in the back!

So, that's about it... I love this car.

Kinda been lurking for a bit, not sure if there's much action any more around here on the 997.1, from what I can tell most everything has been done, except maybe the Kline on an NA 997 (seems all the action is in the TT forums?), maybe GT3 throttle body without an upgraded plenum. Can't wait to share more either way, still just way too excited!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

welcome, welcome and congrats on the new ride! im still finding ways to use gas 20k miles later :-)

as to your points:

1. my first purchase was Fister exhaust. they sounds awesome.
2. i typically shift slower between 1st and 2nd and faster in higher gears
3. that hesitation at 3k is likely the variocams
4. it took me a few weeks to track down all the rattles when I first bought the car. now rattle free. search your symptoms on the forum and you will likely find some posts on how to fix it. there are 4-5 typical areas that tend the rattle
5. re volume, I would get a LaPower bluetooth module to stream from your phone. that made a world of difference for me with the old PCM.

enjoy the ride!

ps - it didnt happen unless you add some pics :-)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations on your new car! The "dream" that you're feeling right now will never go away. Every single day you will smile and wonder how you became so lucky to be able to drive and connect with a car that becomes a part of you....it's as if it becomes a part of your body.

For the 1st to 2nd shift, I had the same "issue". I have always had manuals, and my current Acura TL 6 Speed feels like a toy when I shift through gears. Very light, no effort, and there's not much to it. The Porsche, on the other hand, is much much different. When shifting at the right RPM's, it's a dream. If you're shifting at other speeds, it will feel clunky and the car will feel unbalanced. For 1-2 shifts, I recently began shifting near 2K RPM's, and it is much smoother than if I were to shift at 3-4K rpms. I typically shift into 2nd at 2K rpms, then shift at 4K or so for all the other gears during normal driving. It took me months to figure this out and get all gears to feel smooth and balanced.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jlert

1. Went ahead and bought the Fabspeed carbon fiber dual intake, installed it, the engine does sound a bit better now.
  2. 1st to 2nd gear shifts, I can't seem to make that a smoooooth transition.
  3. In the 2000-3000 rpm range, there's this really weird hesitation or lurch behavior whenever using just part throttle, kinda goes away if I floor it in that rpm range... "charming quality" from what I'm reading?
  4. Sound volume on the stereo doesn't remember where I left it between starts, defaults to a level that's a bit too loud for me every time.
  5. Kinda been lurking for a bit, not sure if there's much action any more around here on the 997.1, from what I can tell most everything has been done, except maybe the Kline on an NA 997 (seems all the action is in the TT forums?), maybe GT3 throttle body without an upgraded plenum. Can't wait to share more either way, still just way too excited!

Congrats; such a great feeling. I was a Saab guy once upon a time too - had a '90 900 SPG that my Father is still driving around today
  1. How many miles ago did you install the Fabspeed intake? If not too many, you may want to do a battery disconnect for 10 minutes which will reset the fuel trim adaptations. That may eliminate the hesitation you're feeling at 3,000 RPM - the Vaiocam + in our cars comes in a little higher than that, closer to 3,800 RPM if I'm not mistaken and although I can hear the exhaust change as I sweep past that range in both my .1 C2S cars, I've never felt a hesitation. Sometimes that hesitation is caused by the Heimholtz resonator in the airbox, but you've eliminated that with the Fabspeed intake. If you do the Battery disconnect, don't latch the frunk with it disconnected. Also don't worry about the PSM warning that will come on the first time you restart the car - that will go away as soon as you start moving and the wheel speed sensors get a reading. The car may run rougher for a few seconds as the fuel trims for each bank of the engine are calculated.
  2. Schedule a transmission fluid change to Mobil PTX - I bet it eliminates the 1st to 2nd notchiness you're feeling and will also prevent it not wanting to go into 1st occasionally when stopped at a light. Has to be Mobil PTX - don't use anything else. While you're at it, get the spin-on oil filter adapter from LN Engineering and their low-temp thermostat (install whenever you need to change your waterpump). Buy 2 of their magnetic drain plugs and install one when you do your first oil change and install the other in the lower hole (drain hole) of your transmission when you do the PTX oil change - plug size and threads are the same for both and these will prevent any ferrous material from circulating in your engine or transmission.
  3. See #1
  4. You can program certain settings to each key - radio stations, volume, seat position, HVAC settings, so that when that key is used to unlock the car, those settings automatically load. This way if the car has 2 drivers each can have their own key and own preferences. It's possible someone stored that radio volume and tied it to the key you're using. Details are in the manual.
  5. Plenty of action on 997.1 cars around here as if you'll be modding yours, I've done about anything there is to do on these cars so let me know if you have any questions I can help with or look up some of my older posts on a topic you may be considering.
Enjoy that new beauty.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Schedule a transmission fluid change to Mobil PTX - I bet it eliminates the 1st to 2nd notchiness you're feeling and will also prevent it not wanting to go into 1st occasionally when stopped at a light. Has to be Mobil PTX - don't use anything else. While you're at it, get the spin-on oil filter adapter from LN Engineering and their low-temp thermostat (install whenever you need to change your waterpump). Buy 2 of their magnetic drain plugs and install one when you do your first oil change and install the other in the lower hole (drain hole) of your transmission when you do the PTX oil change - plug size and threads are the same for both and these will prevent any ferrous material from circulating in your engine or transmission.
THIS.

I will warn you ahead of time that most dealers DO NOT carry the Mobilube PTX any longer. Simply because Porsche considers their new gear oil to be backwards compatible with it. The only way to purchase it from Porsche is via 16gal drum now, its not sold in Litres. With all that said, there are a few dealers that still do have it, and 1 (last I checked) that bottled it and sold it per litre online. I will not plug their name, but they're a FL dealer woth a popular estore.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
THIS.

I will warn you ahead of time that most dealers DO NOT carry the Mobilube PTX any longer. Simply because Porsche considers their new gear oil to be backwards compatible with it. The only way to purchase it from Porsche is via 16gal drum now, its not sold in Litres. With all that said, there are a few dealers that still do have it, and 1 (last I checked) that bottled it and sold it per litre online. I will not plug their name, but they're a FL dealer woth a popular estore.
You can buy it in end user quantities from both Suncoast and sunset. They'll ship it in a different bottle they have with a label on it that says it's PTX.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy it in end user quantities from both Suncoast and sunset. They'll ship it in a different bottle they have with a label on it that says it's PTX.
Thats what I was getting at I just can't post their name, thank you!

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2018, 04:58 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1st gear....not our car sweet spot. I have found shifting over 5 rpm is better than below 3...

congrats!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
geeky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Im about to do my transmission fluid change with Liquimoly GL5 75w90.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geeky
Im about to do my transmission fluid change with Liquimoly GL5 75w90.
I'd advise against that and to use the PTX that a bunch of us have had excellent success with - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html
Old 06-14-2018, 07:24 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Hmm. I thought the Saab Viggen was an airplane?!?
Any who, enjoy your new car, and put lots of miles on it.
T
Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Congrats there buddy.. I, too, had (have) an affair with Saab's as well, although I prefer the Classic 900 models.. Still have 2 of them..

Where in TX are you?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by jlert
I've finally done it. Found a great deal on a 997.1 C2S, talked to wifey, next thing you know, got rid of my old SAAB Viggen (totally stock, more grocery getter) that I had for 14 years and bought the dream... and I still can't believe it.
The mid-life crisis

It's so much fun that I'm trying to find ways to use more gas. I think I've filled up the tank every week for the past few months (any else still feel that way?).

I remember back in the glory days, I got bit by the tuner bug and it felt great! (if I said B18C, would anyone know what I'm saying without googling?) Skipped that stuff with the SAAB, but getting that feeling back soon!

- The engine doesn't sound so great, when I can actually hear it over the roar of the rear tires.
- I've ordered a new exhaust system via Felix at Kline and Sambo, based on the rave customer service reviews, so far they've been awesome! (i.e. helpful and responsive, means a ton to me)
- Went ahead and bought the Fabspeed carbon fiber dual intake, installed it, the engine does sound a bit better now.
- 1st to 2nd gear shifts, I can't seem to make that a smoooooth transition.
- In the 2000-3000 rpm range, there's this really weird hesitation or lurch behavior whenever using just part throttle, kinda goes away if I floor it in that rpm range... "charming quality" from what I'm reading?
- Some strange creaking from what sounds like the rear glass, not sure if there's something wrong there or not.
- Sound volume on the stereo doesn't remember where I left it between starts, defaults to a level that's a bit too loud for me every time.
- About the engine again, still getting used to the fact that it's in the back!

So, that's about it... I love this car.

Kinda been lurking for a bit, not sure if there's much action any more around here on the 997.1, from what I can tell most everything has been done, except maybe the Kline on an NA 997 (seems all the action is in the TT forums?), maybe GT3 throttle body without an upgraded plenum. Can't wait to share more either way, still just way too excited!

@voodoo Looks like we have another Teggy owner. I used to have a DC back in the days.

- The engine doesn't sound so great, when I can actually hear it over the roar of the rear tires. -Let the mods begin
- Went ahead and bought the Fabspeed carbon fiber dual intake, installed it, the engine does sound a bit better now. -Get the IPD/GT3. That's my next mod
- 1st to 2nd gear shifts, I can't seem to make that a smoooooth transition. -Mobilube PTX gear oil should help reduce the 1st and 2nd crunch
- In the 2000-3000 rpm range, there's this really weird hesitation or lurch behavior whenever using just part throttle, kinda goes away if I floor it in that rpm range... "charming quality" from what I'm reading? -Misfiring?
- Sound volume on the stereo doesn't remember where I left it between starts, defaults to a level that's a bit too loud for me every time. -Did you pull the ***** off to see if it still occurs? 997.1, they pull off, 997.2, they have a lock screw

Congratulations and I rode in Ryan's (voodoo) 997.1 and he has the CAI, IPD, GT3TB, headers and exhaust. His car rips!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

It’s been a pleasure working with you too buddy! Great write up and great thread. I don’t get on here often enough but if you need anything guys or if I can assist with anything contact me anytime!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 AM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this community is amazing! I'm a forum posting newb, so let me see if I can get the responses done right.

Originally Posted by Jaycote
When shifting at the right RPM's, it's a dream. If you're shifting at other speeds, it will feel clunky and the car will feel unbalanced.
Yes! Totally agree, keeps me going back to the well.

Congrats; such a great feeling. I was a Saab guy once upon a time too - had a '90 900 SPG that my Father is still driving around today
I do miss that turbo kick, when it would finally decide to spool up that is... the rush felt so good.

How many miles ago did you install the Fabspeed intake?
Probably about a thousand miles already.

Schedule a transmission fluid change to Mobil PTX - I bet it eliminates the 1st to 2nd notchiness you're feeling and will also prevent it not wanting to go into 1st occasionally when stopped at a light. Has to be Mobil PTX - don't use anything else.
I had no idea, TOTALLY adding this to my list, will report back on results.

While you're at it, get the spin-on oil filter adapter from LN Engineering and their low-temp thermostat (install whenever you need to change your waterpump). Buy 2 of their magnetic drain plugs and install one when you do your first oil change and install the other in the lower hole (drain hole) of your transmission when you do the PTX oil change - plug size and threads are the same for both and these will prevent any ferrous material from circulating in your engine or transmission.
Another few things to add to my list, love the advice!

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
Got the site now, bookmarking for sure, thanks for the pointer!

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
1st gear....not our car sweet spot.
Seriously, this car requires so much more concentration than my old SAAB, it's so worth it.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I would get a LaPower bluetooth module to stream from your phone. that made a world of difference for me with the old PCM.
Another goodie, I needs me the bluetooth anyways, will give that a go.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
ps - it didnt happen unless you add some pics :-)
Haven't finished installing much yet, just the intake, but here's that and the ride!

Mid-life baby!

First mod, woohoo!

Yes, I'm missing the heat shield... durn rubber grommets are dang near impossible, will try again later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New (to me) 997... and it's really fun :)