2007 Carrera 4S 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:00 AM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2007 Carrera 4S 997.1

Hello All-
Looking for some help. I am in the final process of purchasing a 2007 911 4S. This is my first Porsche and I only have information that I've read. From what I understand the IMES is not an issue with this one Ok so hear is what I have see so far:
47K Miles
Major Services done at Porsche dealer
Silver ext/ black interior
6 speed
Bose upgrade / Navi / Leather upgrade / PASM / Sunroof /
Clean Car Fax
Extremely clean. No scratches / dings / wheels perfect / Tires good
Clutch seems ok. No Oil Leaks
So any suggestions to investigate? Also, the price seems right at $32,500
After the purchase I am interested in a lower lip addition. Any recommendations?
Thanks for the advance help
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely have a pre-purchase inspection done. An under 50k mi C4S for $32.5 is very low. Is this a private party sale or dealer?

Last edited by HiAperture; 05-28-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HiAperture
I would definitely have a pre-purchase inspection done. An under $50k C4S for $32.5 is very low. Is this a private party sale or dealer?
2nd that. Seems like an awesne deal but at such a good price it may be worthwhile to spend a few bucks having a mechanic check the cyl bores and running an overrrev report. Heck at that price may even spend the money for a leakdown lol. Thats a nice find. Good luck.

mike

mike
Old 05-28-2018, 12:32 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The price seems awfully low for that car and can't help but think there is something underlying. That car should be about 10k higher in price. Just get a PPI done if you aren't familiar with these cars. Double check the title status of that vehicle..
Old 05-28-2018, 02:08 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Yea something is wrong with that deal unless its a typo and has 147k miles or has a significant accident on the carfax. Super low mile (~25k) 997.1 C4S's have been going for high 40s to low 50s if they are fully optioned. With 47k miles that car would likely go for around $45k. Something fishy.

Beside that you need to find a reputable Porsche mechanic in the area, use Yelp or ask for recommendations on the forum, to get a proper PPI before purchasing it. Let us know when your ready for that step and we can walk you through what to look for but figure out whats going on with that car first.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're not doing anything silly like wiring money for a car you haven't seen ? No one here is going to buy the car out from under you but based on what you wrote and pricing this sounds like a scam. If the car is real, you still have d-chunk and bore scoring to worry about. Are all of the records complete and all maintenance milestones (time and mileage) met? Yes, get a PPI, get a carfax, have some people here look at the VIN and photos of the car - they may know it from elsewhere. About 50% of the listings I encountered were scams. Of the too good to be true listings, almost 100% of them were scams.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM
j5m
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my area, you can't even touch a bare bones Carrera for that price. Red flag.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:45 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree. Something seems off. Get a good PPI and make sure it includes a bore scan.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:04 PM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Hey All,
It’s a local Nor Cal car serviced at the local Porsche dealership. The CARFAX is perfect showing service records. I am going down tomorrow to look at service records. The major service was completed with new spark plugs at Fletcher Porsche in Fremont. I have possession of the car now and will get a PPI on it. I was actually thinking about changing oil and filter to inspect for debris. Of course the price is right but I was hoping to get some insight on common mechanical items that fail. Very excited about the car. Thank you for all your advice. I am going to post photos tomorrow if possible.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

That’s a hell of a price. Congrats on finding that car. Hopefully it all checks out.

I bought an 06 C2S last year. Awesome car. So far the only issue that came up was the ignition coils. OEM they are pricy when you add in labor/installation. It’s definitely a repair you can do on your own, but finding the time was the issue.

Fortunately I have a Fidelity Warranty. The entire repair was covered; there was a $100 deductible. Hopefully this is the only time I’ll need to use it.

I’d suggest picking up a warranty with Fidelity (Platinum is an exclusionary warranty and the best one if you can get it), to cover these types of issues. It also covers the major stuff like IMS/cylinder failures.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:05 AM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

How much can I expect to pay for a Warranty
Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

It depends on the mileage/years/level of coverage you want. Once they quote you the price, it is negotiable.

Search the forums. Someone posted a contact at a dealership who was giving fair prices/quotes. Use that as a reference point.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Agree with everyone else. Hell of a deal but why would they sell for $10K to $13K less than they should be getting? Also, the IMS is not a complete non issue on the -07. It still has the bearing. Upgraded version and failures are very rare but there are documented cases.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post8924078

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post9677220
Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

I would run at it if it checks out but have a healthy dose of skepticism. Could it be listed as a C4S instead of a C4...? Let us know.

Here is what you need to know about the 997.1:

What are the typical wear and tear items?

1. Both 997.1 and 997.2 can have the coolant expansion tank get brittle and crack. You want to make sure you inspect it regularly. I just replaced mine as a DIY job. At a dealer it would cost you $2-3K, at an indy maybe $500-1k, or DIY it for $120 in parts and 5hrs.
2. You will want to replace the water pump if it hasn't already been done.
3. The RMS can leak in some cars so check for leaks during the PPI. Even if it does its a minor issue and a $20 part than can be replaced when servicing the clutch. This was solved in MY2007 cars I believe.
4. Some 997.1's have an issue with the alternator+starter cable corroding leading the starter to turn over slowly when the engine is hot. You can check for that during the PPI by testing the voltage drop between the alternator and battery. If more than .5 you need to replace the cable. Its an $80 part but installation is a pain. I also just replaced mine as a DIY job. My indy was going to charge around $600 and the local dealer quoted $3-4k.
5. The soft touch paint on the AC ***** and center console paint can get chewed up. Both easy fixes. MACarbon has excellent replacements for around $150.
6. Clutch life is much debated. A bunch of guys on here getting 80-100k miles on their clutch. Others at 50k. Depends on city driving vs highway. Clutch job will run you $1700-$3000 at an Indy, depending on if they need to replace the flywheel ($1k). At 50k miles you likely dont.
7. Air-oil separator (AOS) is another wear and tear item that will likely need to be replaced if it hasn't already. Not an expensive part.
8. IMS is a non-issue for 2006+ model years. Very small chance.

What are recommendations for the PPI?

1. Get a proper PPI from a reputable shop.
2. Spend an extra $100-200 to have them scope the bores. There is a very small percent of cold weather cars that can get scored bores from improper warm up and/or bad winter gas. A sign of this is high oil consumption and the left exhaust tip being more stained than the right. If the car has come from cold climates I would scope the bores.
3. Have them pull the oil filter and inspect for any debris. Yes, they can do it on an 997.1. You will only loose a little oil and they can top off after.
4. Check the tire age. Even if they look good they start to dry rot and get rock hard as they age.
5. Inquire about oil usage and what brand the prior owner used.
6. Check for any smoke on a cold start. In some cases its normal. If regular its not. Check for any noticeable ticking or knocking noises.
7. Take if for a test drive and get the oil temp over 210. Then turn the car off an immediately restart it to see how it cranks. It should turn over strong. If its lazy or slow you have a bad cable.
8. Check the alternator output and any drop-off on the battery side.
9. Im sure the prior owner has all the maintenance records. Post them here if any questions.

Should you get an aftermarket warranty?

If you are a) risk adverse and b) not a DIY guy it likely makes sense to spend $3-4k for a Fidelity warranty. These are 10+ year old cars. Stuff breaks so you can sleep well knowing you can get white glove service at your local dealer. If you are a DIY guy you can do most maintenance yourself for little money.

Good luck! Excited to see where this one ends up. Bunch of 997s around SF so look forward to having you join the group.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

8. IMS is a non-issue for 2006+ model years. Very small chance.
Non-issue = very small chance???

Quick Reply: 2007 Carrera 4S 997.1