Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Carrera 4S 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 AM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow guys, way to be a buzzkill to the new (lucky!) owner. Some of you are writing freakin’ novels that one must scroll down a few to get rid of! There are potential problems with both gens, get over it and enjoy your preference whichever it is. You sound like a bunch of little girls.

OP - congrats and enjoy in good health! You got a helluva good deal and I’m confident you won’t regret your choice!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 02:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

To the OP.....big congratulations to what sounds like one of be the best deals I recall reading about here. Enjoy in good health.

Then.....

Originally Posted by qikqbn
#9 -2/6/2017 Jake Raby Replies "My count is at 4 dozen since 2010." So, at least 48 engines according to Raby in a thread discussing bore scoring in 997.2 engines. That was 1.5 years ago l
That's a big number. Which begs the same question I've asked a number of times here that never gets a reply. "Can someone please point to a thread about bore scoring/engine failure of a 997.2 by a member/contributor?". If Raby alone says he's had almost 50 a year and a half ago, with that frequency you'd think we would have at least one story here between all the contributors from around the world that take their cars to their respective dealerships, not just to Raby. Again, I don't read every thread here but with a story like that and a fitting subject line I don't think I would have missed it.

It also doesn't go hand in hand with this assessment of the 9A1 engine which I've seen in a number of publications:

Porsche completely over engineered the 9A1 and I'm fine with that
Variations of the 9A1 now power everything from the 2017 911 RSR - 911 GT3 RS etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv53RbvgfGc
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13939906
Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
Some of you are writing freakin’ novels that one must scroll down a few to get rid of!
I know... Right!? hahaha... never knew I had it in me and my apologies to the "scrollers". I guess I got triggered.

To all my 997.1 buddies. I am bowing out, I have used up all my thread credits on this one and probably any future responses for the next few years. Plus I am just exhausted. Peace!

NORCALCCD... looking forward to seeing your future mods or updates. Keep us posted.... but please create a new thread when you do
Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I would add PDK to the issues with .2 cars if so equipped. You're right about the HPFP which failed recently on my GTS and was covered with goodwill. But as I stated earlier in this thread, I also had the PDK fail on the -09 C4S. Simple software failure according to the codes they pulled but still required full replacement at $14,000 and just under 40,000 miles on the car. Not covered by goodwill but by after market warranty. Porsche refuses to disclose the number of PDK replacements they've done but my service advisor tells me they keep a "rather large" number of replacement units in a warehouse in Atlanta "for good reason". I obviously don't have any way of verifying the accuracy of that statement.

I had the GTS flatbedded to the dealer recently with the "emergency transmission run" warning that wouldn't clear and a transmission stuck in 4th. gear. Similar to the first signs of trouble with the PDK that failed on the -09 so I'm mentally prepared for more problems going forward. This one they were able to clear but it's obviously a temperamental, very sophisticated transmission full of electronic components that the dealers aren't allowed to touch so as also stated previously, I wouldn't own a PDK car without a warranty that covered failure of it since a complete "failure" could amount to a $200 electronic part. Which is why I don't disagree with those who say the PDK is the .2 cars equivalence of the .1 cars IMS issue. Failures of both are few and far between but expensive when they happen.
Yes, I purchased a warranty on a .2 convertible my wife bought to drive last summer and flip solely because it was a pdk. I also got the warranty at cost and am not sure I would have purchased it.. I would likely self insure if warranty several thousand dollars.

PDKs are a concern, but have not even remotely reached the level of IMS failures. There are way more pdks in Porsches since 2009 than early 997.1s with the faulty IMS bearings. I have kept in fairly close contact with my buddies that work for PCNA in two different parts of the country and both are saying they have seen very few pdk failures. One had only seen an issue in the Panamera that was somewhat different and limited to the Panamera and the other had replaced 2 pdks: one in an early 991.1 which he says was questionable, but they did it anyway and one in a Panamera. Both still see IMS and bore scored cars every couple months..

If the failure rate of the pdk was even close to the IMS failure rate, we would see Porsches across all model lines dropping like flies given how many pdks are out there.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

Yes, I purchased a warranty on a .2 convertible my wife bought to drive last summer and flip solely because it was a pdk. I also got the warranty at cost and am not sure I would have purchased it.. I would likely self insure if warranty several thousand dollars.

PDKs are a concern, but have not even remotely reached the level of IMS failures. There are way more pdks in Porsches since 2009 than early 997.1s with the faulty IMS bearings. I have kept in fairly close contact with my buddies that work for PCNA in two different parts of the country and both are saying they have seen very few pdk failures. One had only seen an issue in the Panamera that was somewhat different and limited to the Panamera and the other had replaced 2 pdks: one in an early 991.1 which he says was questionable, but they did it anyway and one in a Panamera. Both still see IMS and bore scored cars every couple months..

If the failure rate of the pdk was even close to the IMS failure rate, we would see Porsches across all model lines dropping like flies given how many pdks are out there.
I've had excellent results both personally and in our race shop with Porsche's PDK as well as VW's DSG. The key to long life, as with any automatic transmission, is changing the fluid regularly and keeping them cool when used on track. We've had cars with 10,000+ track only miles with zero issues on their original PDK. We change the fluid after every other event and filter every second fluid change. Gear lube every three events. Zero gearbox failures.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

@qikqbn - no apologies necessary. nobody puts baby in the corner :-)

@Dough H - you and @Sandwedge are OGs on the forum so I respect your opinions. You aren't wrong. The 997.1 has weaknesses and the 997.2 is a better engine by all measures. But for many of us, including me, a 997.1 is the best we can do from a budget standpoint. At the prices they are trading, particularly the insane price the OP just picked up his for, these cars are are no-brainers and bring in a whole new generation of owners. All I would suggest is:

1. Provide a balanced view of the 997.1 risks. Don't scare the **** out of people with soundbites. All that does is ruin the day of every owner on this forum.
2. Provide context. What are we really taking about here: the flip of a coin, 10%, <1%?
3. Be honest with the 997.2 risks, however low they are. No car is risk-free.
3. Suggest they buy a warranty if they aren't comfortable and/or cant afford the risk. In the OPs case he can buy a Fidelity warranty, have 100% security, and still saved $30k vs an equivalent 997.2 C4S. If I were him id be laughing all the way to the bank.

Lets move on, agree to agree, welcome the newest 997 owner...then get back to debating whats the best oil.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

You guys get a room
Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

IMS Failures / Bore Scope Bla Bla Bla ..... People are slowly realizing 997.1 cars are great deals and the standard coupes properly optioned out in good condition with decent miles are getting harder to find at a good price. I myself and my 3 friends who have 997.1 cars all have had no major issues with them ever ! Failures can happen as we all have over read but are certainly not the norm in the .1 cars ...... Treat them well drive them hard and preferably to a good steakhouse and don't worry about cancer Life is too short for worrying !!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,912 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalccd
Picked up the car in Mountain View. Looking forward to personalizing it a bit. I really am not sure on the Rims. Thinking about painting the Black. (unsure on gloss or Satin). I definitely want a lower lip spoiler for the front. Not sure about putting a wing on the back. I appreciate any suggestions and photos on great ideas. Thank you all again for the input.
Norcalccd congratulations on your purchase. I'll be down your way soon with my new to me 2007 997 C4S after PPI at Rector Porsche(Porsche Burlingame) on 6/25.
Driving home to Seattle with my wife and if you are on the way would love to buy you a beer coffee or vodka?.

My 2007 C4S is Meteor Gray/Full black leather w/Sport seats and some other goodies. 74K miles - I too purchased for under $33K
If you have the time, are diligent and have some people skills, you can make out well finding nice Porsche's.

I've been an RL'er for many many years and you just have to ignore the grumpy/negative members who don't get much affection from their wives/gurlfriends and feel it necessary to bash different models/etc.
If they really knew anything about these cars and had some Porsche experience, they would know almost every model has had issues since the birth of the 356.
I've posted lists on many threads of all the issues with each model starting from 356/Early 911/911s/911sc/911 Carrera/964/993/996 & 997, all those models I have had the pleasure to own....And if you want some real entertainment, make some popcorn and go to 993 forum and look up clogged air passages. I can't remember how many years I had to read those posts ....Funny how all 3 of my 993's ,all 3 of my 996 C4s's and my recent 997S had no issues whatsoever. Must be some weird reason that I'm sure one of the 997 geniuses can chime in on.

Anyway enjoy your beauty and have fun - Send me a PM if you want to meet up - We are headed from San Mateo area on 6/25 after dinner up to Marin, then up to Santa Rosa then to wine country 6/26 - Then heading over to I5 north on 6/27 or there abouts.

All the best!

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-04-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:28 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Norcalccd congratulations on your purchase. I'll be down your way soon with my new to me 2007 997 C4S after PPI at Rector Porsche(Porsche Burlingame) on 6/25.
Driving home to Seattle with my wife and if you are on the way would love to buy you a beer coffee or vodka?.

My 2007 C4S is Meteor Gray/Full black leather w/Sport seats and some other goodies. 74K miles - I too purchased for under $33K
If you have the time, are diligent and have some people skills, you can make out well finding nice Porsche's.
You seem to find good deals on 911s. Didn't you have a nice C2S that you picked up super cheap? Thought you sold it to get a 991. Either way, congrats on the C4S!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:11 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
You seem to find good deals on 911s. Didn't you have a nice C2S that you picked up super cheap? Thought you sold it to get a 991. Either way, congrats on the C4S!
Yes I had super nice 05 Atlas Gray 997S that I just sold to fellow RL'er - Was looking for 991 but drove 997 C4S and must have one
Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

You're probably right. Porsche is notorious for refusing to release statistics on problem issues so all we can go by is hearsay from wherever we can get it. I'm obviously not the most objective one on the subject having owned two PDK cars now, one with a complete failure requiring replacement and the second one stranding me with what the dealer referred to as "limp mode" failure. No replacement of the current one yet but as I said, this is how it started on the previous one. BTW......I don't abuse my cars. I do drive the PDK's in manual/sport plus mode 95% of the time but I can't imagine that amounts to abuse that leads to abnormal failure rates. And incidentally (??), the limp mode failure on my current GTS happened the day after I picked the car up after having the 60K mile PDK service done......
Old 06-05-2018, 01:29 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

@groovzilla - PM me if you are coming through Marin, or let the guys know on the SF thread in the West Coast forum. Bunch of guys in the area always looking for an excuse...
Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@groovzilla - PM me if you are coming through Marin, or let the guys know on the SF thread in the West Coast forum. Bunch of guys in the area always looking for an excuse...
Will Do
Old 06-05-2018, 03:51 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@qikqbn - no apologies necessary. nobody puts baby in the corner :-)
Hahaha... TheBruce... Not sure what to think about that dirty dancing reference
Never thought I would see that in a Porsche forum, But, thanks... I think!

"You guys get a room " Don't be jealous ElectricChair... Just some 997.1 bonding happening ... hahaha

thanks for the laugh... much needed after this thread!
Great to see some members reaching out and making an effort to meet up. That's awesome!

Last edited by qikqbn; 06-05-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Carrera 4S 997.1