Sponsored by:

New-to-me GTS Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default MY11 GTS Cabriolet

Would love to learn more about my new-to--me 2011 GTS Cab, took delivery a couple of days ago. Have a few initial questions below. Much thanks in advance!
Mostly a lurker, this is my first time posting with images (hope I did this properly).

The car's short build list is as follows.
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
28 Black Interior Alcantara
342 Heated Seats (Front)
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extend Navigation Mod-PCM 3.0
680 BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
686 XM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver
B4 Carrara White
P01 Adapt Sport Seat Leath DrivMem
V9 Cabriolet Roof in Black

Rear Deck Lid - Emblem "911"
Judging from numerous online photos, I almost certain the "911" was added. I don't mind how it looks, but it does seem somewhat redundant. Any remote chance this GTS came from the factory like this?

Front Chin Spoiler
Is this factory? If not, might anyone know brand//model? I like it, but the drops at the openings often scrape. Want to know a little more, in case it cracks or tears off.

Suspension
This GTS does not have P17 on the build sheet, so I assume standard PASM (boo...). I was advised by the tech who did PPI that it has H&R springs with original shocks/struts. I will get her up on a hoist in a few days to have a look myself.
Please see how she sits. I'd like to raise it between where it sits now and factory. I feel the car may handle slightly better with matched springs and shocks/struts. I realize I risk getting flamed for this... hahaha!
My 996 has ROW M030, and I like it. I would like to take this car to DE's - likely only 1-2 a year, otherwise 100% street. A set of RS Spyders will replace the HRE shoes.
Honestly, I think I've read most of the relevant threads on this a few times that my vision is blurred. Hence, I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by kru911; 07-06-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

AWWW yeah. Congrats. answers inline below...

Originally Posted by kruinc
Have a few initial questions below. Much thanks in advance!

Rear Deck Lid - Emblem "911"
Judging from numerous online photos, I almost certain the "911" was added. I don't mind how it looks, but it does seem somewhat redundant. Any remote chance this GTS came from the factory like this?
Negative. that may or may not be an aftermarket badge but it definitely was not on the build sheet. it is EASILY removed. use dental floss behind it to cut through the adhesive and then some citrus based cleaner. good as new

Front Chin Spoiler
Is this factory? If not, might anyone know brand//model? I like it, but the drops at the openings often scrape. Want to know a little more, in case it cracks or tears off.
Looks like the OEM sport classic lip to me. It's made of plastic so if it cracks you can plastic weld it or buy a new one. not terribly expensive at about $300+ a pop. Not cheap either though. stay off the curbs.

Suspension
This GTS does not have P17 on the build sheet, so I assume standard PASM (boo...). I was advised by the tech who did PPI that it has H&R springs with original shocks/struts. I will get her up on a hoist in a few days to have a look myself.
Please see how she sits. I'd like to raise it between where it sits now and factory. I feel the car may handle slightly better with matched springs and shocks/struts. I realize I risk getting flamed for this... hahaha!
My 996 has ROW M030, and I like it. I would like to take this car to DE's - likely only 1-2 a year, otherwise 100% street. A set of RS Spyders will replace the HRE shoes.
Honestly, I think I've read most of the relevant threads on this a few times that my vision is blurred. Hence, I appreciate any suggestions.
If you want to raise it to PASM height you'll need OEM springs which you'll find plenty used here as a lot of people drop to H&R or Eibach height.
If you want SPASM height then you can go OEM SPASM ($$$$) or Eibach/techart. they are within a few MM of OEM SPASM, about a third the price and top quality.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
AWWW yeah. Congrats. answers inline below...
Thanks... appreciate this and your responses to my questions. I look forward to spending time reading your thread Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Regarding suspension, think I am aiming for SPASM height - slightly higher than current, but lower than PASM height (OEM for this car). Might this be roughly a 10mm raise?
And just curious, might there be thicker mounts/plates available that could raise the car instead of changing springs? Sounds hokey, still I had to ask.

Looks like varying camps on.SPASM vs PASM. Aside from incl. a locking diff, seem some believe the only difference are higher spring rate, others believe shock/struts and bushings also differ, perhaps even different sway bars. What is it?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I remember reading in Excellence, when they reviewed the 997 GTS, that they test drove both PASM and SPASM equipped cars and found the GTS actually had a better feel without Sport PASM. The director of the Carrera product line, August Achleitner, agreed with this assessment and stated that the GTS was never envisioned to have SPASM, it was simply a carry-over from the Carrera S option list. Many dealers and people like me who ordered their cars thought that "Sport" would be an improvement (not to mention it lowers the car) but that doesn't appear to necessarily be the case. I'm not saying the car is better or worse with SPASM because I have never driven a GTS (hard) without SPASM. What I am saying is that there is a credible review source (Excellence with Achleitner concurring) that believes the GTS is just better sorted without it. With or without SPASM the GTS remains a great car.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:17 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice car. Saw it listed on the Autoform website. Does it have an aftermarket exhaust or just tips?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I remember reading in Excellence, when they reviewed the 997 GTS....
Noted with much thanks.

Originally Posted by WantA997
Nice car. Saw it listed on the Autoform website. Does it have an aftermarket exhaust or just tips?
Thanks. Yes, it is the one from Autoform. It has Fabspeed system, headers to tips. IMHO, the tips as-is stick out too much and need to be tucked in.
Might you know more about the car, or seen it around? Kindly reply or PM me.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Default Engine bay - battery post?

The 996 has a positive (+) battery post in the engine bay - behind the airbox. It is what I use for a battery tender.
Does the 997.2 have one, and where?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:30 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Default Updates & recent photos

(Above) Refinished the original Fuchsfelge RS Spyder wheels all black. To deal with wheel offset, I am aiming for OZ wheels (front 8.5" ET53 + rear 12" ET48) in the future.
Also... now on Eibach springs. After 500+ kms and whole track day, I believe the springs have more or less settled. IMHO the ride is much better and handled well at the track. The stance greatly improved ...now, the front splitter sits a little higher - clears most speed bumps and scrapes less at ramps.

(Below) Removed rear badges, replaced with GTS (only). Tailpipes chopped, tucked in, and painted black.

(Above and below) Recent PCA-CWR HPDE track day at Area 27.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great, though I have to say that I really liked the look with the HREs, too!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Do you have the FabSpeed dual intake system as well? How about the FabSpeed ECU tuner?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:02 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Did you sell the HREs?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:34 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by amplitude
Looks great, though I have to say that I really liked the look with the HREs, too!
Agree.

Congrats. Definitely track it to see its full potential.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:58 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I remember reading in Excellence, when they reviewed the 997 GTS, that they test drove both PASM and SPASM equipped cars and found the GTS actually had a better feel without Sport PASM. The director of the Carrera product line, August Achleitner, agreed with this assessment and stated that the GTS was never envisioned to have SPASM, it was simply a carry-over from the Carrera S option list. Many dealers and people like me who ordered their cars thought that "Sport" would be an improvement (not to mention it lowers the car) but that doesn't appear to necessarily be the case. I'm not saying the car is better or worse with SPASM because I have never driven a GTS (hard) without SPASM. What I am saying is that there is a credible review source (Excellence with Achleitner concurring) that believes the GTS is just better sorted without it. With or without SPASM the GTS remains a great car.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on a beautiful car. Can't track the cab here in NJ :-(. Great look with white and black. Sometimes wish I had gone with a brighter color.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,552 Likes on 971 Posts

Congrats! Very nice car!

Quick Reply: New-to-me GTS Cab