Sponsored by:

New-to-me GTS Cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:21 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
beautiful gts - glad you removed the extra badges that were visually misaligned. btw you have the best looking oem lip for the gts bumper.
Thanks, and thanks!
PO must have been super proud and felt compelled to have the extra "911" on the rear. I have a slight affinity for the lineage too
Old 06-27-2019, 02:34 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pilfer
I am thinking about getting a sport classic lip or speedster lip to replace my factory one. I seem to find higher prices than nwGTS says though on suncoast.
Well, good chance I'll be looking for another Sport Classic lip too!
In the wee hours this morning, At ?? mph over PSL, I drove over "something" on Interstate 5 (north of Redding, CA). BOOM THUMP!!! Now, there is a long linear crack in the mid section of the lip. Not completely broken off - might be plasti-weld and refinished back. Maybe
I can't even imagine what might have been damaged undercarriage. At least my oil level looked good, when I pulled into Vallejo.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:45 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

damn, sorry to hear that. Road trip to the Bay Area? I think I'll get an aerokit lip, it may have better clearance?
Old 07-01-2019, 02:39 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

damn, sorry to hear that. Road trip to the Bay Area? I think I'll get an aerokit lip, it may have better clearance?
Yes, made brief visits in the area. Looped back via the coast, which was nothing short of epic!

An Aerokit lip would clear slightly better than the Sport Classic, avoiding some scrapes. But, certainly not all. Besides, whatever I hit on the highway would have damaged most lips. The lip took the brunt of the force near centre, which has more clearance than the pseudo "vents".

After visiting Cypress Tree Tunnel...
warning, do not visit if you mind unending rough road & potholes, flooded sections, and gravel.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by kruinc
Thanks, and thanks!
PO must have been super proud and felt compelled to have the extra "911" on the rear. I have a slight affinity for the lineage too
Nice! planning on debadging mine soon and just leaving the GTS. How did you re-align the GTS - just eyeball?
Old 07-03-2019, 02:16 AM
pilfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
Nice! planning on debadging mine soon and just leaving the GTS. How did you re-align the GTS - just eyeball?
mine has all the designations, I'd like to just put GTS as well. Especially after I get some sort of ducktail.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:37 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
How did you re-align the GTS - just eyeball?
I used a laser level to line up the centre of the "GTS" with the centre of the spoiler fin - in red oval, photo below.
Before waxing clean the outline of the original badge, I marked the bottom using tape.

mine has all the designations, I'd like to just put GTS as well. Especially after I get some sort of ducktail.
Rear badge - I ordered a new OE "Carrera GTS" and just used the GTS (beware, there are other GTS badges varying in sizes ie. 991's, 718,etc.)

Side badges - My clear protection expert cut a pair of new vinyl GTS's

The following users liked this post:
myw (08-30-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks, appreciate that tutorial!
kru911 (07-03-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:31 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Default Function over Form ???

Switched to forged OZ Superforgiata's. Compared to the OE RS Spyder's and Ultraleggera's, the unsprung weight is reduced by nearly a total of 10kgs (22 lbs).

The change in handling is awesome. But, the lighter grey needs to grow on me.

myw (08-30-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by kru911
Switched to forged OZ Superforgiata's. Compared to the OE RS Spyder's and Ultraleggera's, the unsprung weight is reduced by nearly a total of 10kgs (22 lbs).

Like em'. Look similar to my Forgelines. What's the color? Looks almost like a light gunmetal variant in the picture.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:25 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Like em'. Look similar to my Forgelines. What's the color? Looks almost like a light gunmetal variant in the picture.
Much thanks. This is awesome, coming from you! Your 997 is among my favourites here. And, yes, these OZ's do have a similar look to your Forgelines - GA1R's? All business

Tirerack describes the colour as "Light Grey". On OZ's website, the colour is "Grigio Corsa" - although, the online photos show a slightly darker grey. I tell you, choosing from the boundless shades of grey is like falling down a rabbit hole
Old 08-28-2019, 08:15 PM
pilfer
Racer

Hey Grey on white looks good, in my opinion. I was originally going to order my bbs monoblock’s in matte black but switched to grey last minute. Very happy with it so far. Your car looks great, is that the new lip you ordered?

might want to think about black stone guards.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Much thanks. This is awesome, coming from you! Your 997 is among my favourites here. And, yes, these OZ's do have a similar look to your Forgelines - GA1R's? All business

Tirerack describes the colour as "Light Grey". On OZ's website, the colour is "Grigio Corsa" - although, the online photos show a slightly darker grey. I tell you, choosing from the boundless shades of grey is like falling down a rabbit hole :roflmao:
I know I lucked out and found a car with the wheels and color I liked so I didn't have to sort through those endless choices of grayish/silverish choices out there. Either way, your wheels look great on your car. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Hey Grey on white looks good, in my opinion. I was originally going to order my bbs monoblock’s in matte black but switched to grey last minute. Very happy with it so far. Your car looks great, is that the new lip you ordered?

might want to think about black stone guards.
Lol, that is still the same cracked lip! I will try repairing the crack myself in the fall, so I have DIY project and a new one would need to primed and painted nonetheless.

I currently have clear stone guards by XPEL. Perhaps at some point I'll go with black ones. I would also re-paint or switch my wheels to black centres and silver (or polished) lips. A sort of Speedster homage.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I know I lucked out and found a car with the wheels and color I liked so I didn't have to sort through those endless choices of grayish/silverish choices out there. Either way, your wheels look great on your car. Wouldn't change a thing.
A great find. Plus your wheel offets are bang on.
Greyish, silverish ...and the undertones blackish, brownish, purple, and so on. Crazytown!
Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Man, this car looks great. The gray looks good with the white to these eyes, but the red rings might be throwing you off?

Would not be hard to have them reanodized black, silver, gray, or? Might help a bit. Or not...OZ may also offer them as spare parts in black.

Originally Posted by Kg11
Did I read in the panorama to "avoid the Sport PASM option, as it replaced the GTS specific suspension?"

The author just made that up!

the standard PASM is just standard. There is no "GTS" option. Sport PASM is better on these cars, but again, available on any 997.2 GTS if optioned
This author can get things wrong, but I assure you he didn't just make that up.

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
No, it’s true and Porsche acknowledged it. In multiple publications.
Yep, though now trying to remember where that clip posted here came from. I remember doing it to help promote PCA, but now can't remember the outlet. Still stand behind those recommendations of 996.2 GT3 & 997.2 Carrera GTS. The appeal of each as new cars was strong, and has only increased in my view.

Originally Posted by Kg11
Huh...that is so weird. I had a C4S at one point and test drove a 4 GTS. I could have sworn they had the same suspension. I thought the Sport PASM was the GTS option, like the SC and PSE you also got on these cars for no charge? Sport PASM is so much better than stock
There were "three" PASM suspensions for 997.2 Carrera/S/GTS cars (check for minor variations depending on equipment, body, etc):
  1. PASM for Carrera/S
  2. PASM for Carrera GTS
  3. Sport PASM for Carrera/S/GTS

All of the above are great, but I asked August Achleitner about the GTS suspension development at Geneva or Frankfurt and he said there were some internal discussions about dialing in a little more understeer before final sign-off—but he took his wife to Italy for a holiday, came back and said, no, leave it exactly how it is. This was well after the car's introduction, and it came up because I asked him if he had a vintage 911, and if not which one would he choose. His choice, noting his colleagues would make fun on him, was a 997.2 GTS.

The U.S. press 997 Carrera GTS coupe, a Speed Yellow car, had Sport PASM and wasn't quite as crisp as some of the other GTSs I tested (something Palevsky noted, as well, and we are happy to disagree with one another). It also reversed the rake of the standard 997 GTS, which was slightly lower in the nose than the rear. A lot of dealers and customers checked the box for Sport PASM because why wouldn't you on a GTS? The U.S. press GTS Cabriolet had the standard GTS suspension and, like coupes with that setup, was flat out brilliant. I later checked with Achleitner, who said that GTSs ordered with Sport PASM got a carryover setup from the narrow 997.2—and I suspect the compromise comes in the GTS's wider rear end—as Sport PASM is really nice in the narrow 997.2s. I'd be very curious to see the split on GTS coupes, but my gut says a lot of them were ordered with Sport PASM.

They're all wonderful cars...and among my favorite 997s, up there with the 997 RS 4.0 and 997 GT2.

Last edited by stout; 08-29-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: New-to-me GTS Cab