Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2S or 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018 | 07:17 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by love2drive
For the classic 911 inverted pedulum feel, get C2S.
For better traction in wet, get C4S.
For wider hips in rain, get C4S.
For wider hips with rwd, get GTS.

Can't go wrong really.
Right. Can't go wrong driving any of them.
Revised post :
Inverted pendulum feel/RWD - GTS, C2S
Wide hips and rear WD - GTS,
Better traction in wet - C4S, Turbo, 959, 918
Faster traction in dry - C4S, Turbo, 959, 918
Wide hips wet or dry - C4S, GTS, Turbo

And I still want my Carrera GT
Old 05-10-2018 | 07:20 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

I live in sunny California, but I specifically went with the C4S because of the the reflective stripe between the rear lights, and the wider butt. I don't and can't drive more than 7/10th of what these cars are capable of, so a little stability and better look swayed me towards the 4 WD
Old 05-10-2018 | 07:48 PM
F308gt4
Racer

I’m in California, so have no need for a 4S, but I wanted a Targa which only comes in 4 or 4S. So I wound up with a Targa 4S. Love the rear, and North Shore 911 is right: Baby Got Back!!!

Old 05-10-2018 | 09:32 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

If your main question is maintenance... then there is the possibility of having to address a maintenance issue with the 4S over the 2S, but No two cars are alike and you may find some that never have an issue. You may find a 2S that has many more issues than a 4S and vice versa. Maintenance issues over the life span of a car can very widely and unpredictably.

Everything is personal preference. Some like blondes and others brunettes. One thing I don't say anymore is that one Porsche is way better than another. Because we are all at different phases of life and looking for different things to make us happy. Some want a 911 as a track focused car and others a grand touring. Some enjoy the track and canyons and others never step foot on a track or have to drive 3 hours to a 10 mile curvy road. Some live in rainy/snowy climate and others never see snow and barely any rain. So it's up to you.

Here is why I chose a 4S. I also live in CA and even though our climate is dry I went straight for the 4S because of those beautiful wide hips. (This is Pre-GTS widebody days). Since I was a kid, the wide hips of a Porsche Sports car are what always made me stare and admire them. I love the looks and always prefer wide bodies, but that's just me.

Next thing that won me over to the 4S was the handling. My first Porsche was a Boxster. Those have telepathic handling and what I was use to at the time. Some prefer a bit more wild on the edge handling and some like a bit more stability. I preferred stability. The 997 2S or 4S really handle great compared to early 911s, so this is maybe less a factor then previous generations, but 911s are known for having very light front ends and can push in corners a bit more than you would expect your first few times out and pushing hard. (964 C4 being the exception) Especially if you get on the throttle too early mid corner. It's like the effect of pulling a wheelie and the front wheels get a bit light and therefore lose traction. In a 911 It's all about patience and knowing when to pull the trigger coming out of a corner. The 2S requires a bit more patience in the tight corners or else you will push wide and that surprised me coming from the Boxsters mid engine handling. The 4S has a bit more stability because of the extra weight over the front end so that initial bite throughout the corner is more predictable and then with the addition of the front wheels driving you can get on the throttle earlier coming out of the corners, hence the feeling of "stability". I would say this is something you really only notice when pushing hard at the track or through tight canyon roads. In most day to day highway driving you will never feel this effect or difference between the 2S/4S. If you do live in a rainy or snowy climate. Then the 4S has some real advantages.

Looks aside, what you do feel is the biggest difference between the two is weight. The steering feel in the 2S is noticeably lighter than the 4S, since you don't have the extra hardware up front and there is about 100 lbs less on the front axle, the 2S steering dances a bit more in your hands and takes less effort to steer. 4S steering is a bit heavier and feels a bit more solid. Again, some prefer the lighter, nimble steering feel and handling characteristics of the 2S. Some say it's more fun and more "911", but I can guarantee you that when pushed hard the 4S will also have your hair standing on end, you screaming like a little girl, and laughing your butt off all at the same time. The adrenaline will have your knees knocking . The 2S and 4S are both a real hoot to drive, especially at the limit and pushing hard, but if you prefer a car that feels overall "lighter" and some say "more alive", then the 2S is probably what you want.

So... for Light and nimble... go for the 2S
For wide hips and stability... go for the 4S

best of luck on your search!!

I know this vid is about 991... but same driving dynamics between 2S and 4S can be said for 997

Last edited by qikqbn; 05-11-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:35 PM
josserman
Instructor

C2 with snow tires for winter.

For me, I care about low gas miles, light, rwd, and manual. I also wanted to master driving a 911 above the limits (NOT ON THE STREET, on skid pad).
Old 05-10-2018 | 10:16 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Well, I can tell you that the 997 GTS looses a bit of the inverted pendulum feel to a 997 c2s, just like the c4s, due to its wider rear track.
Drive a 997.2 c2s and GTS back to back and you'll feel the difference around any spirited turn. That's my impression at least.

Originally Posted by ocgarza
Right. Can't go wrong driving any of them.
Revised post :
Inverted pendulum feel/RWD - GTS, C2S
Wide hips and rear WD - GTS,
Better traction in wet - C4S, Turbo, 959, 918
Faster traction in dry - C4S, Turbo, 959, 918
Wide hips wet or dry - C4S, GTS, Turbo

And I still want my Carrera GT
Old 05-10-2018 | 11:08 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
It's 4S all the way for me for two reasons:

1) I live in Chicagoland and my 4S Cab was my DD for 4 winters. This car is a beast in the snow sitting on a set Pirelli Sottozero's, and it's always enjoyable to breeze past chucklehead SUV drivers on all-season tires who manage to side off the road.
2) Sir Mix-a-Lot was right about big butts :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JphDdGV2TU
And may the lord be with you!! Every wide body 911 carries a premium over a narrow body 911, historical fact. They are more rare, look better and are the same width as the Turbo and GT cars. I started my search for a 2S and had a 4S fall out of the sky and thanked the lord. For all the mechanical nay sayers, there is a simple $1,000 kit to disable the AWD so now you have a wide body, rear wheel drive car.

I live in SoCal and could not care about rain, snow etc. I love the girl because she is wide, and juicy. Hearing the narrow body peeps chime in is like small breasted women saying 'more than a handful is a waste'. Sure honey.....thats how the world works....right!

A 4S looks better IMHO. I got lucky, and hopefully you will too. Lastly, Ive tried and tried to get my 4S to break in a hard turn....nope. It just sticks, like my old Esprit S4.
Old 05-11-2018 | 01:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

No hard proof of course but I would bet good money that most people who choose a 4 or 4S over a 2 or 2S do it because of the wider hips. Not for better traction in snow. I admit I'm one of them. Better looking car. As for maintenance issues with the 4WD cars, I had no problems related to that with either the -06 C4S or the -09 C4S.
Old 05-11-2018 | 02:17 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

4S fans must love dualie pickup trucks.
Old 05-11-2018 | 03:26 AM
spyder918
Intermediate

Thank you gents! I really appreciate all the great feedback and suggestions!
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Unless you're driving it in snow, the 2S. That's where the optimum 911 feel resides - utmost in tactile front end feedback (prior to the 991's electric steering), rear end playfulness, etc. Also, the NB cars are actually the rarer ones, with only the C2, C2S, and GT3 being made in this body style - everything else us widebody, yet there's nothing narrow about a NB 997 as it still gas that sexy Coke bottle shape. Both of mine are NB C2Ss.

​​​
IMO the rear fenders have a prettier continuous curve vs the WB cars that flatten out a bit in the middle of the flare for that extra 1". Taillights also look better on the NB cars from the rear since they go essentially to the outer edge without more body beyond them.

You can't go wrong with any model or version of 997 though. Drive a few different versions and see what you like the feel of - some like the more neutral and safer feel of the AWD and some like the more playful and more sensitive front end feel of the RWD cars (like me).
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:58 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Not sure why you guys are so gung-ho about getting the tail to slide out. In my 4S I can if I really want to, to make it happen. Turn off the TC and I can have at it. Even with TC on it’s quite possible to break the tires loose, if you really want to. Granted the LSD kicks in and the power gets routed to the front wheels for as much as the computer thinks it needs to, to save you from killing yourself. You guys old like me, sound like my equally older buds that still do motocross, talking about all the air they get at Buds Creek tabletop on their bikes when in fact they are at most 10 inches off the ground and go about 7 feet. You are not sliding around every turn and if you are it’s not that much. I will say thst yes the steering in the C2 over the C4 is lighter. But let’s suspend all the tail out two feet talk.
Old 05-11-2018 | 10:48 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by captainbaker
For all the mechanical nay sayers, there is a simple $1,000 kit to disable the AWD so now you have a wide body, rear wheel drive car.
Thanks - do you have a source for that kit ?
Old 05-11-2018 | 10:50 AM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
Not sure why you guys are so gung-ho about getting the tail to slide out. In my 4S I can if I really want to, to make it happen. Turn off the TC and I can have at it. Even with TC on it’s quite possible to break the tires loose, if you really want to.... SNIP
and

qikqbn also wrote, " Next thing that won me over to the 4S was the handling. My first Porsche was a Boxster. Those have telepathic handling and what I was use to at the time."

1. It is quite easy to break the tail loose on a C4S, probably like it is on the Turbos. But, I hate when my tail slides out because it means I'm slower than I should be. I find nothing fun about losing the tail at all, in fact, the way I drive, loosing the tail means I screwed up.

2. Several very interesting comments about the C2 feeling "lighter handling" than the C4. I have no doubts about that, but when I think of "light handling" I do not think of 911s at all. Let's talk 987, and specifically the first year CaymanS. That is a light handling car. Mid-engine, firm chassis, light and nimble when paired with the stock 18" tires, and my model is pure analog. It is everything a light handling car is suppose to be, with a great steering touch. No it does not have the power of the C2 and yet with fresh Michelins has great stability. And right now these cars are cheap, cheap, cheap!
3. And I totally agree with all the insightful comments about the different "drives" available in Pcars. Drive them all then pick the one you love most
Old 05-11-2018 | 10:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Thanks - do you have a source for that kit ?
Here you go - http://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

If I was in the market for a 997 to replace my RUF car so I'd have something with similar power and RWD only, I'd find a 997 TT and do this RWD conversion

Quick Reply: 2S or 4S?