2S or 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Here you go - http://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

If I was in the market for a 997 to replace my RUF car so I'd have something with similar power and RWD only, I'd find a 997 TT and do this RWD conversion
Pretty cool - you can cut off 100lbs, sell off those parts and maybe break even in the transaction. Plus now you have WB without the GTS cost.

Nice tip.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default That 911 feel..

For me, a key difference between the c2s and wide body (c4s or gts) or mid engine (cayman..) is not its more eager propensity to get its tail out, but that unsettling and funny feel that is undeniably there while turning at speeds higher than 20mph. You can feel the rear weight shift to your left while turning right and vice versa. That feel, albeit an indication/warning of the car's inherently unnatural, arguably "unstable" settup, gives the 911 a unique character. It's another dimension you can enjoy or despise, but it's there in all 911s, and most pronounced in the c2,c2s. If you want that feel, the 997 and earlier c2s is arguably the best version to feel it.

Originally Posted by ocgarza
and

qikqbn also wrote, " Next thing that won me over to the 4S was the handling. My first Porsche was a Boxster. Those have telepathic handling and what I was use to at the time."

1. It is quite easy to break the tail loose on a C4S, probably like it is on the Turbos. But, I hate when my tail slides out because it means I'm slower than I should be. I find nothing fun about losing the tail at all, in fact, the way I drive, loosing the tail means I screwed up.

2. Several very interesting comments about the C2 feeling "lighter handling" than the C4. I have no doubts about that, but when I think of "light handling" I do not think of 911s at all. Let's talk 987, and specifically the first year CaymanS. That is a light handling car. Mid-engine, firm chassis, light and nimble when paired with the stock 18" tires, and my model is pure analog. It is everything a light handling car is suppose to be, with a great steering touch. No it does not have the power of the C2 and yet with fresh Michelins has great stability. And right now these cars are cheap, cheap, cheap!
3. And I totally agree with all the insightful comments about the different "drives" available in Pcars. Drive them all then pick the one you love most
Old 05-11-2018, 11:50 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Not sure why you guys are so gung-ho about getting the tail to slide out. In my 4S I can if I really want to, to make it happen. Turn off the TC and I can have at it. Even with TC on it’s quite possible to break the tires loose, if you really want to. Granted the LSD kicks in and the power gets routed to the front wheels for as much as the computer thinks it needs to, to save you from killing yourself. You guys old like me, sound like my equally older buds that still do motocross, talking about all the air they get at Buds Creek tabletop on their bikes when in fact they are at most 10 inches off the ground and go about 7 feet. You are not sliding around every turn and if you are it’s not that much. I will say thst yes the steering in the C2 over the C4 is lighter. But let’s suspend all the tail out two feet talk.

It's not about getting the tail to slide out for m. It's about being able to control the car at the limits, mastering what has often been thought of as one of the more difficult cars to drive fast. I'm also of the school of thought that every driver should be required to learn vehicle dynamics in order to get their drivers license, especially for areas where snow is part of driving. I know you can get a C4 sideways, but it's substantially easier to control then. I plan to drive my C2 in the snow with snow tires. I don't drive recklessly at all on the street, nor do I drive street cars on a race track (unless I'm instructing someone I know and trust). It's just important to me to know I can have full control over all types of vehicles and up till now I've had limited experience driving rear engine rwd cars.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

997.1 or 997.2 4S? There is quite a difference as far as I know.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ocgarza
Several very interesting comments about the C2 feeling "lighter handling" than the C4. I have no doubts about that, but when I think of "light handling" I do not think of 911s at all. Let's talk 987, and specifically the first year CaymanS. That is a light handling car. Mid-engine, firm chassis, light and nimble when paired with the stock 18" tires, and my model is pure analog. It is everything a light handling car is suppose to be, with a great steering touch. No it does not have the power of the C2 and yet with fresh Michelins has great stability. And right now these cars are cheap, cheap, cheap!
It's all relative I suppose. A 987 is neither light nor light handling in comparison to an NA or NB Miata. That car is actually light (2200-2300lbs) and has a light on its feet handling. A 987 is still a 3000lb automobile and a porker for its size. It's easy to associate lightness with something that is actually lighter, but yet still not light. A 987 is lighter than a 997. That doesn't make it a light car unless you are going to take a Cayenne or some other 4000lb+ vehicle in comparison.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 997.1 C4S. I bought the car for the rare options (X51 PCCB exclusive leather all over). I prefer the wide body look, I also have a NB GT3.

The C4S is heavy and I get terrible fuel economy, like 18 MPG (daily driver). I am in CA so snow and even rain are rare, don't need AWD for any practical reason.

Someday maybe I will convert to RWD, then the car will essentially be like a 997.1 GTS.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
It's all relative I suppose. A 987 is neither light nor light handling in comparison to an NA or NB Miata. That car is actually light (2200-2300lbs) and has a light on its feet handling. A 987 is still a 3000lb automobile and a porker for its size. It's easy to associate lightness with something that is actually lighter, but yet still not light. A 987 is lighter than a 997. That doesn't make it a light car unless you are going to take a Cayenne or some other 4000lb+ vehicle in comparison.
Good points all. But I was mainly referring to light "handling" characteristics of the 987S, which in turn is probably due to the mid-engine platform. Love driving both the 987 and the 997.2.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Every wide body 911 carries a premium over a narrow body 911, historical fact. They are more rare,

Past performance may not be indicative of future results.

Not as rare, a loose adding of the numbers for 997.2 production shows that wide bodies and narrows were produced in equal numbers.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live live in So Cal and got a 4S.
1. Wide body
2. It's my daily and it still rains here and I used to be pretty paranoid driving my old 996 rwd in the rain.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,324 Posts

When you decide to buy a "Mans" car with enough power to warrant AWD (a Turbo), then you'll understand why it's needed. LOL

Go with the 2S for now.

J/K on the "mans car" thing... lol
Old 05-15-2018, 12:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
When you decide to buy a "Mans" car with enough power to warrant AWD (a Turbo), then you'll understand why it's needed. LOL

Go with the 2S for now.

J/K on the "mans car" thing... lol

.... Or you buy a car with enough power to warrant AWD but its only RWD, and you drive the crap out of it anyway.

LOL
Old 05-15-2018, 08:41 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Here you go - http://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

If I was in the market for a 997 to replace my RUF car so I'd have something with similar power and RWD only, I'd find a 997 TT and do this RWD conversion
I did the conversion on my 997.1 c4s. I love it. Biggest difference is the steering feel. I have also done a LWFW and read that it doesn't go well with AWD. Also lost about 100 pounds on the conversion, and my front diff was leaking on one side at the time. And allows me more freedom in tire sizing choice, as I dont have to worry about the front rear ratio.

In the end, it has been a great mod for me and I wouldn't go back.

I dont think the kit will work on the 997 TT though. Works on the 996, but 997 TT uses the same electronic diff as the 997.2 from what I read. It is a version of the diff developed for the 959, way back. Kit only works on the 997.1 C4 and C4s.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,324 Posts

.... Or you buy a car with enough power to warrant AWD but its only RWD, and you drive the crap out of it anyway.

LOL

Touche'

LOL

I'd do it
Old 05-16-2018, 03:29 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Re: the wide hips thing: I bet this is confirmation bias more than anything. I own both a .2 C2S and C4S and if the light strip weren't on the 4S, I wouldn't know which was which without looking specifically for the wider car. The difference is subtle, not dramatic, and anyone who isn't a Porsche-phile will not see a difference. Heck, a lot of people cannot tell on a debadged car. I have seen several NB that were debadged and I could not tell if they were 2S or 4S models. Wheeler's 2S was recently for sale, and with that ducktail he had installed, I would have bet $100 it was WB. I think he had some offset wheels installed. My first 997 was a C4 (with an aftermarket wing) and I replaced it with a C2S. I had the C2S for 2 months, and only when they were side by side did I notice the slightly wider rear track on the 4; it wasn't obvious whatsoever, and like I said, even on my own car, I didn't notice it. Once I saw a difference, I came here and saw that people were talking about how much better the WB looks, but not knowing that one was wider than the other, it just wasn't notable. I probably washed the 4 a good 8 times and the 2S a good 5 times without noticing the wider hips. You can find plenty of 2S vs 4S pics online to get a feel for it.

I would let driving dynamics influence your decision; the 2S looks great, the 4S looks great, but they feel drastically different.

Found the pic: if either of those cars were debadged and passed a guy on the street, I bet the odds of recognizing which were which would be the same as a coin flip.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:15 AM
Chef Sheff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Focus on use case. I had a tough time making this decision for my 997.2 and ultimately based it on my use case. Drove a C4S and liked it. Drove a C2S and liked it. The differences have been discussed ad nauseam. But for me, it's a 2nd car for weekend drives and canyon carving in the Santa Monica mountains. I will never drive it in the rain and there is no snow here. I have daily driven a Subaru STi for the past 10 years, so I am totally over the side effects of AWD when pushing sportily in dry conditions. RWD with a 6MT is perfect for MY use case and I could not be happier with my C2S (as well from a value perspective, again for ME, since GTS cars demand such a premium). The dry grip is so good with C2S, I'm not sure what I would "do" with AWD on the roads I drive, especially vs. the mass and steering feel tradeoffs (and that's before I have new Pilot PS4S installed this weekend).

Quick Reply: 2S or 4S?