Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Ding FML

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll go to a PDR guy ASAP. I was kinda hoping to put it off for a while. I just sucks that I get a ding cuz someone is a dumbass or a hater. Im super paranoid about parking too close too. I try to park only in spaces with a lot of space, and only next to nicer, newer cars, and never next to vehicles that I think have kids lol. But still took a loss.
Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost me?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,462 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll go to a PDR guy ASAP. I was kinda hoping to put it off for a while. I just sucks that I get a ding cuz someone is a dumbass or a hater. Im super paranoid about parking too close too. I try to park only in spaces with a lot of space, and only next to nicer, newer cars, and never next to vehicles that I think have kids lol. But still took a loss.
Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost me?
Also try to avoid parking next to other 2 door cars. The door on a 2-door has to swing open wider / further for the person to be able to get out than the shorter door on a 4-door car
Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Also try to avoid parking next to other 2 door cars. The door on a 2-door has to swing open wider / further for the person to be able to get out than the shorter door on a 4-door car
Good advice. I should know this already lol.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

or parking next to SUvs with car seats!

PDR guys, the good ones, are magicians. I had a crease on a fender right on seam and he got it out w/o a trace. If they cannot get access, they can use what is called glue pull to pull it out then work it back down with their hammer tools. Should not be a problem on a door.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, definitely PDR not a DIY ask me how I know lol. I had a small dent and thought "hey I can pop that out", well about 10 minutes later I really FUBAR'd a small dent and had tripled the size of it and now had peaks and valleys "facepalm". I had a client that owned a PDR business so I called him and drove over. He took care of everything in 20 minutes with fancy curved bars, lights and a lined mirror thing. Was truly amazing to watch a master PDR guy work. Usually there is an initial price to come out and do a dent, like 60 bucks or whatever, then it is 20 bucks or something for each additional I think but YMMV.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:11 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I restored an all original 951 to concourse condition. I did a detail and paint correction on it that took me about a month of disassembly and reassembly. It was unusual because the paint on the car was original throughout, but needed major corrections to bring to concourse level.

I interviewed several PDR guys as the car had 2 places that were going to be difficult to work properly. There were also small to tiny dings all over it. I hired the best PDR guy I could find for an entire day and worked with him to bring back every single scratch and ding back to absolute perfection.

Here's what I learned:

Access to getting tools in there to correct the ding is one of the most important considerations. A PDR guy's experience, techniques and tools pays off huge if you have a difficult to access ding.

The ding's location relative to a crease or bend changes the level of skill required significantly. Any PDR guy can fix a ding in the middle of a flat door. Fixing one that has damaged a crease in a difficult to access location is exponentially more difficult, and requires a true craftsman.

A true badass PDR guy can work wonders. It is astounding.

If you are going to have one done, go over your car with bright light and look everywhere for them (trust me, they are there). It is obviously cheaper to have them all done in one go and the results get you to a a completely new level.

Once you have everything where there are no dings or un-repaired scratches anywhere, the effect is the difference between just another detailed out used car to "this car is no longer discernible from new." Paying a few hundred bucks for this kind of service will pay for itself in resale many times over.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 AM
shekmark
Pro

I could use a really good PDR in Monmouth County NJ. My small ding is on the hip below my drivers side rear window. Not sure if it's accessible to use their tools.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Ive been researching about whether or not its true that the longer you wait to get a dent fixed, the harder it will be to fix. Does anyone konw how true this is? because I would rather wait a little than have it done right away.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
Ive been researching about whether or not its true that the longer you wait to get a dent fixed, the harder it will be to fix. Does anyone konw how true this is? because I would rather wait a little than have it done right away.
Since it was my statement, I looked around for a while and can't find anything. That may mean it's just an old wive's tale like the welders that insist on drinking buttermilk when working with galvanized steel. Except that so many welders do this. Who knows?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Since it was my statement, I looked around for a while and can't find anything. That may mean it's just an old wive's tale like the welders that insist on drinking buttermilk when working with galvanized steel. Except that so many welders do this. Who knows?
Ok, Ill probably wait a little bit. It's not a huge dent.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

I just had some pdr done on a Cayman as a result of a plastic trash can lid slipping and bouncing on the rear quarter panel above the wheel. Asked the guy whether or not it mattered how long to wait. He said nope. Doesn't matter. He did a great job. Said aluminum was more difficult than steel since steel had memory. He's a hail guy that travels around the country so I trust his opinion.

Had it done on my 911 a few years ago too. Came out perfect. I'm so thankful for pdr.

About $150 in nova for first dent ...

Quick Reply: Door Ding FML