Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gummy HVAC switches - good repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gummy HVAC switches - good repair?

I cleaned up the sticky radio ***** with rubbing alcohol and a rag, but this method does not seem to work with the Fan and Temp switches. I managed to remove some of their black paint but they're still gummy. I'm thinking maybe I could recoat them with a good black paint even though they're already beyond a really tidy repair.

Can these switches be removed from the panel and replaced? Any good suggestions for de-gumming these two switches?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Old 05-02-2018, 07:27 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

The topic of gummy/sticky switches has been discussed before in older threads. Search will bring some ideas.

Unfortunately, the only solution to bringing the two switches to "like new" is to buy new ones. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, you cannot source the switches themselves but need to buy the panel. $$$$. There are a few companies that make replacement switches but quality has been problematic. (Check older threads). There are some newer versions that might be better.

There have been some brave souls who have refinished them with paint and labels. Not sure what is involved.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll save you two days of reading. MA Carbon. Stay away from Climarepair.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Contact John Borchelt 650-520-4822 at MACarbon. He's up in NorCal and he has some extra buttons ready to ship.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-a-fix-34.html
Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I second MA Carbon. I am a Happy customer.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

+997 for MA Carbon
Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The fan and temp switches are made from translucent white plastic, and everything is painted except the lettering, so the light shines through. If there is no damage to the lettering, then placing a strip of low-tack (yellow) painters tape over the lettering and then masking around the switch itself would allow you to prep it with alcohol and then apply a 75-25 mix of flat and gloss black model airplane paint. Which would look reasonably authentic from normal viewing distance. If however the lettering is damaged, you would need to have reverse-stencils made of the labels from laser-cut mylar tape (each letter individually), affix them on the switches in perfect alignment, paint over the entire switch, and then very carefully remove the tape pieces. This is why anyone who sells a really good repro is to be commended.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I'll save you two days of reading. MA Carbon. Stay away from Climarepair.

You need to go on with life, accept that our product improved drastically over time and stop spamming

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com
sorry I don't have pictures of the rear side, but this video shows the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8y2WMbRiI

Best regards,
John

Originally Posted by apperception
I just had my ClimaRepair set installed...
...and they look and work just fine. Yuge improvement over the worn originals.

Larry in Georgia
06 997S Seal/Cocoa
Originally Posted by ric-ko
I have the V2 version and they are such an improvement over the originals.
I don't regret my purchase at all.
Originally Posted by uberm3
New in the box Climarepair V3 switches. These are much better than previous versions. No longer need them so I am selling them. Paid $100 with RL discount. Asking $50 + shipping & PayPal fees.

And the last email from a -now- official reseller:

John I received the buttons this morning. Great quality despite the reviews I had been reading which worried me substantially. Plug and play to the factory module with a genuine OEM look. Despite the shipping Troubles, I am overall happy with the product. Keep doing what you/you all are doing.
Thanks, Dylan.
(Shipping trouble refers to him waiting 6 days for the package to arrive (instead of 4 days))

On the other hand, we are very proud of our V3 buttons, and so are our resellers and customers. Prove of this is that several Porsche dealers are installing our buttons worldwide.
Did you even try to install them to see how they look like? This is a video a customer sent us recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76EOe5gDqcc

As you can see, the finish and fitting is awesome.

Best regards,
John
Old 05-03-2018, 03:31 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

+10 on MACarbon. They look OEM (because they are), reasonably priced, excellent service.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:12 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

You need to go on with life, accept that our product improved drastically over time and stop spamming
Oh, I admit your product has improved drastically over time (compared to the turd you put in a box and shipped to me under your name), but you are on V3 and it still doesn't look/fee/work as good as MACarbon's.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

And the last email from a -now- official reseller:
(Shipping trouble refers to him waiting 6 days for the package to arrive (instead of 4 days))
John, when I saw your V3's, the TEMP font was too big and didn't look OEM. I like the MA Carbon ones because they are actual refurbished OEM switches. The material matches well and feels smooth like a brand new set of switches.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:35 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Moral is you can buy the latest try from a vendor who has disappointed again and again. Or you can do it right from the start and get the MA Carbon ones.

I have tried both...guess which ones are still installed on my car.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

I have no affiliation with climarepair but I just received their recent V3 gen replacement switches last month and they are better than the negative reviews I had previously read but clearly not OEM quality. I see them as a solid replacement/temporary solution in their current gen. My plan is to use the climarepair as a swap out until I can do a weirdo level repaint to my OEM switches.

As for the sticky radio dials, coming from a B8 Audi Avant (prestige/s-line...), the whole HVAC/PCM/BOSE situation is ridiculous for a $100k sports car. My Avant was just under $60k new fully optioned and in regards to the HVAC and ICE interface, the Audi just blows my 911 out of the water, which was optioned around $100k. Luckily, the HVAC and PCM is not part of the reason I bought the car and after getting a Fister Sports Exhaust (also no affiliation), I rarely listen to the stereo. Nevertheless, my plan right now is to swap out/refresh as much of the whole center console area/design mistake as possible even if it ends in just giving up and using high end block off plates. I think the whole center console from the dash all the way back to the e-brake is the only thing I hate about my 997.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:56 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 on MA Carbon, and also the sticky radio dials can be sourced from your nearest Porsche dealer for around $20. (They are 2 different part numbers BTW as the shafts are not the same size.)

Quick Reply: Gummy HVAC switches - good repair?