Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 12:12 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ahhh much better...

Out with the old....
I installed the new toggles yesterday. I don't have a "before" pic of the HVAC control, but you can see how the old ones looked. The whole process, including removing the control unit, took me about an hour - being careful to not break anything. I think I could do it in 30 minutes if I had to do it again, which hopefully I won't . The MAcarbon parts are every bit OEM look. Very pleased.

John - I'll drop the cores in the mail to you Monday.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks alwayswantedone! Glad you liked them. We'll get that deposit refunded once they arrive.

We currently have a set in stock in case anyone is still on the fence about doing it.
https://macarbon.com/index.php?optio...111&Itemid=656
Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

We just finished another three sets and have them in stock. PM us or order through the website or give us a call if you want to get yours taken care of.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 PM
vikingpilot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MACarbon Buttons

Just installed my new buttons from MACarbon. Took me 20-30 minutes following the youtube British guys instructions.

Quality and finish is top notch....

Old 05-17-2018, 01:50 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Thanks for the kind words vikingpilot.

We have two sets in stock right now if anyone is wanting to get theirs done.

They can be purchased here:
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Hello guys, we are happy to be delivering worldwide to several resellers, this one is flying to Germany

Name:  uUlmc1C.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  711.9 KB

Best regards,
John
Old 05-28-2018, 11:40 PM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This thread thoroughly entertained me for an hour!

I'm a new Porsche owner (not even a year with my 997), and probably the only thing I'm annoyed with is this issue with the climate controls. By chance, I stumbled on this thread tonight and got excited when I started reading it. Then I got disappointed. Then laughed quite a bit. Now I'm happy to see that there are viable solutions to the problem. I'm so glad to be part of this community.

Originally Posted by Pokerpot
Guess what? Asked my credit card company for information regarding Clima Repair. The phone number listed for Clima Repair in the credit card transaction is a California phone number.

Where was that 335i from in that picture posted earlier?

So we have a person with a Spanish and American passport posting a picture of his (California) car.

Then we have a company shipping from Spain from a company with a phone number listed in California... So coincidental - or not.
I had to quote this one because I was thinking the same thing as I progressed through the thread. You were on to something.

Originally Posted by motopix
This thread delivers!
Yes, indeed.

Originally Posted by cosm3os
So, now. Who's the liar?

Folks, you have to ask yourself: if this guy has a history of ripping off people, then goes so far to cover it up, why would you believe V2, or any of his other products, are anything but the same disappointing garbage?
I still think they look like garbage just looking at the pics.

Originally Posted by fuego
This got me LOL. I had to take a walk around the block and come back.

Originally Posted by Rengoku
Time to share my story. I was one of the "early adopters" of the V1 switches, of course they turned out horrible. Was planning on opening a paypal dispute but had to leave on a last minute extended business trip. By the time I got back, I had forgotten about it.

I reached out recently, after finding out that they had been offering V2 replacements for customers who bought the V1 switches. I figured it was probably too late and a lost cause, but decided to give it a try anyway. To be fair they got back to me within a reasonable time, but said because it was over 6 months, they would send me the V2s, but I would have to pay the shipping & handling ($30). At this point it felt like I was being fed misleading information, where did the $30 come from? Their site clearly states free shipping, even on checkout, the most expensive rate was "Worldwide Flat Rate" at $5.99.

I decided not to take them up on their offer and chalk it up as a loss. I figured I'd try to fix the switches myself. Surprisingly they came out much better than I expected. Here are the steps I took in case anyone else wanted to DIY themselves:

1. Remove the old switches and with some rags, qtips and rubbing alcohol, strip away all of the rubber paint.

2. I decided against trying to preserve the glowing symbol/text on the switches as I didn't have any stencils or the patience to tape them off.
3. Pick up a can of Krylon Flat Black spray paint and apply a couple coats on the switches, making sure to get into the crevices.
4. Use a small light to shine through from behind to make sure the switches are evenly coated and there are no spots where the light can leak through. If there are, simply stick some black tape behind the switches to cover up the spots.

This is what the refinished switches look like compared to the awful Climarepair switches.

Heres another pic of the refinished switches reinstalled back into the climate control module. The flat black finish was practically identical to the other switches. Very happy with the result.
Very impressive! I was thinking of doing something similar by taking it apart and cleaning the hell out of those controls. I knew that it would be tricky, but I think the paint route is the way to go. I will have to take a close look at the symbols and find a way to cover those from getting black paint in them. I like the idea of keeping the symbols and having the backlight.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Got them istalled over lunch. 30 minutes job minus the trip to the store to get a T6. Very easy:

- remove the unit from the dash and u plug 2 cables.
- remove 4 T6 screws to remove the front panel
- remove 8 T6 screws to remove the pcb board
- drop the lcd out catefully
- remove 10yr old coke stains from the back of the lcd panel
- push a small flat head to undue the clips on either side of the button. This is a little fiddley.
- push the little plungers in to push the button out.
- push the new buttons back in
- button up and your done

Came out excellent and the side benefit is my climate control lcd is a lot brighter after cleaning the coke stains off the back. I though the lcd was going bad but it was just crusty coke...

John pointed out the temp button backlight looks a little dimmer but I think that might be the angle.
You are the man! Well done on getting someone like John interested and involved in this community. My hats off to you (and John).
Old 06-03-2018, 01:40 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
Thanks for the kind words vikingpilot.

We have two sets in stock right now if anyone is wanting to get theirs done.

They can be purchased here:

those look amazing but, and maybe this has been covered somewhere else, if they are refinished originals with same soft touch feel as website says, whats to keep them from doing the same thing over time?

thanks

shawn
Old 06-21-2018, 04:06 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Before

After
Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Feels good to have that fix done, doesn't it?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:26 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

So nice. Yes!
Old 07-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WANTED, your old switches.

I am working on a fix up for these and need some old nasty Temp and Fan switches to test out.

Let me know if you have any, and I will gladly take them and keep you informed if my test works out.
I am super fussy, so I hope my plan will be as close to factory as possible.

PM me with what you have and I'll arrange to get them from you.

Cheers

Last edited by Greyghost230; 09-07-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Bump
Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Default Our latest batch is ready

For anyone who still has sticky switches and has not yet fixed them, our next batch is in. They can be ordered through the site via this link or give us a call at the shop. 650.489.4415
Old 07-30-2018, 11:05 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd like to get a set. I can return 2 core sets as I have my originals and a set I bought from that other guy that were so bad I never used them.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:30 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LeNoah
I'd like to get a set. I can return 2 core sets as I have my originals and a set I bought from that other guy that were so bad I never used them.
Ooh. Great idea! MA Carbon I have a set of V1s that I was told we're as good as OEM. Take them as a core? :P

Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???