Sponsored by:

"Reduced Engine Power" warning light

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts
Default "Reduced Engine Power" warning light

This came on tonight just as I was approaching my house. Seemed like it started to run a little rough but nothing dramatic. Oil pressure and water temp normal. No smoke and no fluids on the garage floor after parking it. Left it alone for 15 minutes and then went back out and cranked it. Some hesitation starting but it did start. Idle a little rough for a few seconds but then went to normal. Then the light came on again so I shut it down. Flatbed to the dealer tomorrow (second time in two months).

Nothing in the handbook about this light except "consult your dealer". Irony here is that this is turning into the least reliable 997 of the three I've owned with the much maligned .1 -06 the most reliable. Anyone with a thought of what might be going on? Have Fidelity Platinum coverage.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Scan the car and it will point in the right direction. Id guess fuel pump or injectors. If its not yet an all out failure you can get soft limp like you got

mike
Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Highpressure fuel pump possibly
Old 04-12-2018, 09:13 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
+1

That would be my guess too. If it is, ask your dealer if Porsche will pay for the replacement even if your car is out of factory warranty. They paid for mine after my CPO warranty had expired.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM
ocsm3
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+1

That is exactly what happened to me. High pressure fuel pump. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
James William (04-24-2021)
Old 04-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Total guess: an ignition coil. Although, they tend to run fine after a cool down, then misfire when heated up. (Probably the HPFP). When I had an ignition coil go on my 2000 Boxster S, the car shook quite a bit.... cooled down and ran fine until hot, then the shakes again.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 AM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is the HPFP replace the water pump, just guts not the whole thing with housing, at the same time if you haven't already. They are right next to each other and they have to pull coolant hoses to replace HPFP so labor is very little extra.
I had my pump replaced and 3 days later noticed coolant on garage floor. Brought it back and they said that since they removed the serp belt the lack of pulley pressure helped/caused the old pump seal to leak. Had to go through full labor and coolent flush again to replace water pump.
The following 2 users liked this post by millertimefl:
Fullyield (04-24-2021), RennKit-Dave (05-27-2023)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Long cranking when starting up and reduced engine power warning are classic symptoms of a failing HPFP. This was a chronic problem with my ( thankfully long gone) 2008 BMW 535.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (05-27-2023)
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ATSR
+1

That would be my guess too. If it is, ask your dealer if Porsche will pay for the replacement even if your car is out of factory warranty. They paid for mine after my CPO warranty had expired.
Originally Posted by ocsm3
+1

Right in line with what my service advisor said although they haven't gotten to my car yet but he said that's almost always the case with that warning light and the symptoms I described. Have to backtrack on the "no fluid on the garage floor". As I rolled it out to the flatbed I did notice a small puddle right underneath the engine. Wasn't gasoline but had an oily feel to it. Completely clear though so I doubt it was engine oil. Wonder if the high pressure fuel pump is internally lubricated and that's what leaked out when it broke. Guessing it was only a couple of tablespoons worth.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:56 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

HPFP is located on the left side rear of motor about 1/3 high. I used to like puddles when I was a kid, Now I just see $$ out of my wallet
Old 04-14-2018, 01:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

HPFP is located on the left side rear of motor about 1/3 high. I used to like puddles when I was a kid, Now I just see $$ out of my wallet
That corresponds pretty closely with the location of the small puddle. Whatever the cause, that puddle will cost me no more than $250 with current warranty and current on all maintance.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:18 AM
James William
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Porsche Panamera Reduce Power Engine

Originally Posted by ocsm3
+1

When you change high pressure fuel pump did it stop giving you the warning sign because I get the warning sign while I am at top speed going over 80miles and once the light comes on the car won’t go more than 50miles an hour
Old 04-24-2021, 12:29 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Right in line with what my service advisor said although they haven't gotten to my car yet but he said that's almost always the case with that warning light and the symptoms I described. Have to backtrack on the "no fluid on the garage floor". As I rolled it out to the flatbed I did notice a small puddle right underneath the engine. Wasn't gasoline but had an oily feel to it. Completely clear though so I doubt it was engine oil. Wonder if the high pressure fuel pump is internally lubricated and that's what leaked out when it broke. Guessing it was only a couple of tablespoons worth.
1000% HPFP. All the symptoms, including the small amount of fluid from the failed pump.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by Hindsight2010; 04-24-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by James William
When you change high pressure fuel pump did it stop giving you the warning sign because I get the warning sign while I am at top speed going over 80miles and once the light comes on the car won’t go more than 50miles an hour
Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
1000% HPFP. All the symptoms, including the small amount of fluid from the failed pump.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fuel-pump.html

3 year old thread brought back to life but I noticed that I never posted the result of the diagnosis once the car was in the the hands of the dealership. As many suggested it was the HPFP. Was replaced as a recall item so I didn't even have to involve Fidelity.

There's been opposing and conflicting stories on failed HPFP's on 997.2's over the years. As I said, some like myself got it replaced at no cost as a Porsche recall item. Others say they had to pay for the replacement or use whatever warranty they had. I don't think these discrepancies were ever settled or explained, at least not that I've seen.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:10 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Oh wow, didn't even notice it was from 2018 haha.

To answer your question James, replacing the pump (assuming that's the cause of the issue) fixes the issue of not being able to drive over 50mph as well as removes the warning sign, yes. Also fixes slow starts and hesitation/bucking.

Quick Reply: "Reduced Engine Power" warning light