Sponsored by:

997 C4S OZ Leggera HLT

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Yes! The Oem Carrera Sport wheels are already a grey paint color with polished lip. Although they look a bit lighter side by side with the OZs. I think it had more to do with how light bounces off the hard angles on the OZs vs the soft shapes on the carrera sport wheel, but when I popped the 997 carrera sport oem center caps on the OZ it is almost a perfect color match. I was very excited because now it has a real oem look to them. :^)
Awesome!

I was under the impression (from tire rack) that none of the OEM caps fit the Leggera HLTs. Do you have the part numbers off the back of the Porsche centercaps...or can you confirm what year 911 your Carrera Sport wheels were off of?
The following users liked this post:
mmoran33 (04-16-2022)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by TuonoR
Awesome!

I was under the impression (from tire rack) that none of the OEM caps fit the Leggera HLTs. Do you have the part numbers off the back of the Porsche centercaps...or can you confirm what year 911 your Carrera Sport wheels were off of?
2006 is the year of my carrera sport wheels. These caps are NOT concave like a bowl, but a bit more convex like a flat bubble.

Tequipment Porsche Carrera Sport wheel center in GT Silver set of 4: 997-044-600-10

A set of 4 is not cheap. About $180-$200 and although I mentioned almost a perfect color match, it's very close, but don't get upset with me if you get them and it's off by a shade or so ;^).
It's not actually a perfect identical color code match, but I am meticulous and very detail oriented and I actually think they look great and oem. Metallic colors change depending on the angle of light and in some cases it looks darn near identical and in others just a shade light, but overall I am very happy with them.

You can see them here in the tequipment catalogue page 16. you can copy/paste link below if does not work.

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/fl...e/en/index.htm

I will say this, I read a few forums that when at the track oem center caps would pop off the OZ wheels under harsh conditions. I think that is why tirerack does not recommend oem caps, but in general, at track events, it is recommended to remove your center caps anyway no matter what wheels you run.
Some say the fitment of oem caps may feel "loose" compared to the oz original caps. I can see and feel that too, but when I popped these oem's on they felt about right as far as a good hold. With a tool I can still spin them just enough to line up with the valve stem. The OZ caps do not spin at all, very tight fit.
I did make a small adjustment on the rear caps. The front caps popped in and were flush. The rears, not sure why, but were just not as flush. This could be wheel specific, maybe a thicker coat of paint did it, but I ended up shaving with a blade just the slightest little plastic off the fingers of the cap that seemed to be keeping it from fully seating. It worked great after that adjustment.

Last edited by qikqbn; 04-10-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:36 AM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Do the OZ hubcaps and Porsche cap use the same retaining method? spring clip? if you have photo of the OZ cap that would be great.

I've been eyeing these wheels for a while.. so I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger..
Old 04-11-2018, 04:29 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AltVelo
Do the OZ hubcaps and Porsche cap use the same retaining method? spring clip? if you have photo of the OZ cap that would be great.

I've been eyeing these wheels for a while.. so I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger..

as you can see the OZ "hook" is thicker and more rigid. It also hugs the inside wheel center hole tighter.
There is no real difference in size or thickness of the center hole between the OZ and Porsche oem wheel.
So the way your Porsche oem cap feels now in the oem wheel, will be about the same when it snaps into the OZ wheel.
It's snug, but you can rotate it with some force or a tool to spin it around. It's not flapping around in the hole or spinning freely.
I can line up the Porsche crest with the valve stem and it holds its position just fine, even after 100 miles.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is my understanding correct that it's the bottom of the crest, not the top, that should point toward the valve stem?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

my old caps are sitting in the OZ Superforgiata just fine
Old 04-11-2018, 04:46 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sailorlite
Is my understanding correct that it's the bottom of the crest, not the top, that should point toward the valve stem?
It's my understanding that the bottom "pointy" end should point to the valve stem... that's how I have always done it ;^)

Only For those of us meticulous and **** enough to care ;^)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:26 PM
AltVelo
Racer

That's a great photo showing the tab lengths. With that, it's obvious that the groove on the Porsche caps sit deeper than OZ's since the tabs are longer. So my guess is this is just tab are wedging itself into the bore on the OZ's and holding it in place.

How do they sit on the wheel?

Thanks for sharing and it's not the first time I ran across your helpful threads. Keep it up!

Here's a recent pic of my 911. I'm thinking it's ready for the set of Leggera's now. I just installed a set of Eibach's a few months ago.

Last edited by AltVelo; 06-07-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

That's a great photo showing the tab lengths. With that, it's obvious that the groove on the Porsche caps sit deeper than OZ's since the tabs are longer. So my guess is this is just tab are wedging itself into the bore on the OZ's and holding it in place.

How do they sit on the wheel?

Thanks for sharing and it's not the first time I ran across your helpful threads. Keep it up!

Here's a recent pic of my 911. I'm thinking it's ready for the set of Leggera's now. I just installed a set of Eibach's a few months ago.

I added a few more pics and you can see how the caps sit in the wheel. I am very happy with the updated look of this wheel. Even though it's been out for a few years, it still looks really sharp.
Your car looks great and the Eibach pro-kit, in my opinion, is a great compromise for a conservative drop and ride height. I think your car would look really nice with these wheels. They may be a bit darker than your silver paint, but
do a image search to see how these wheels look on silver cars. I have not seen a car yet with these wheels that looks bad ;^)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:57 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have OZ Ultraleggera HLT on my 997.1 and have lost 2 factory center caps to date. I was unable to get replacements from Tire Rack and ended taking my chances buying apocryphal caps on the interwebs. I'd like to replace my CF OZ caps with P-car crest caps but unknown fitment and my history of losing caps are holding me back.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 AM
AltVelo
Racer

I want more contrast against the GT silver so going with the new gloss black.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Man i almost bought the same exact wheels, we would have been twins! I also got the ducktail and gts front bumper and mine is also a meteor gray. Looks sharp!!!
Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by j beede
I have OZ Ultraleggera HLT on my 997.1 and have lost 2 factory center caps to date. I was unable to get replacements from Tire Rack and ended taking my chances buying apocryphal caps on the interwebs. I'd like to replace my CF OZ caps with P-car crest caps but unknown fitment and my history of losing caps are holding me back.
Bummer, that's what I am hoping does not happen. These caps are like $50 bucks a pop! Maybe there is a "MacGyver" way to secure them better. I am gonna do some research. For now they seem to fit like stock Porsche center caps normally do.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

I want more contrast against the GT silver so going with the new gloss black.
Your car is GT Silver ?! nice! Rare color!
These wheels should look really nice in black too with your car! Post some pics if/when you pull the trigger
Old 04-12-2018, 12:00 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronz
Man i almost bought the same exact wheels, we would have been twins! I also got the ducktail and gts front bumper and mine is also a meteor gray. Looks sharp!!!
Ducktail and GTS front bumper.... very nice! The sunlight plays tricks with my cars color. It's actually Seal Grey 6B4 which looks a bit more blue/grey around noon, but then looks Meteor grey around sunset.

Quick Reply: 997 C4S OZ Leggera HLT