Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inside door handle replace or refinish?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default inside door handle replace or refinish?

My new to me 997.2 C2S has inside door handles that look bad. The silver paint is worn though pretty good. Hard to believe what was a $120k car was built with painted plastic door handles. Obviously, they're going to wear through in short order.

So I can live with them, replace them for $170 - each, or try to refinish them. I can't believe painted plastic door handles are $170 each, but that's a different rant. For that kind of money, they should be solid metal. But they ain't.

Anyone successfully re-paint these? A good two-part automotive paint would last longer. Not sure about a rattle can.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Try to find someone to cover them in leather?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Try a dismantler.... Oklahoma Foreign, Parts Heaven, DC Automotive.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

The PO probably had rings or Jerseay nails. It will be tough to paint match DIY unless you are doing both handles.

Bumperplugs.com can paint for you or any body shop. You can prep them yourself to save some coin.

Fun fact, these handles were originally designed to be aluminum but in crash testing them, the mass of the aluminum was too much and the handles would pop open the doors. So they reengineered them in plastic before going to market.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM
larrysb
Racer

Looks like MA Carbon can laminate them in carbon fiber for $625. Way cool, but overkill.

If one were to paint them in identical colors, it wouldn't be necessary to get a perfect match to the original paint. Just close would be fine. I just don't know if I can get them painted for any less than what it would cost to just buy new ones.

Most of the used ones I've seen pictures of are carrying scratches too, so not sure if there's an inexpensive path to better ones.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine (MY05 12/04 build) sound like metal if I tap on them with something metallic, and also get ice-cold and sweat if the A/C is blowing on them. I could swear they are some kind of metal, not plastic. Regardless, it's simple to remove them and paint them. Since there's no other silver trim nearby, a close match would be fine to me. That said, after 13+ years and 70K miles mine are not showing any wear.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

No wear on mine. However I had scratches on the silver trim of the steering wheel from the PO. That was a nightmare to respray. If its the same plastic I wouldn't bother. Just buy a new one for $150. https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...MtNmwtaDYtZ2Fz

The hard plastic used in the steering wheel trim would wrinkle if even the slightest bit of paint was left on the surface. See my experience here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=23

I think the more involved part is removing the door panel.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 PM
larrysb
Racer

I think the inside door handles can be easily changed without removing the door panel. Don't know if there's any cheaper way than just buying new ones, which of course, will probably scratch again.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:19 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

You just open the handle and there is a screw that keeps them attached. No need to take off the door panel.

Its so easy to do. For the 30 minutes it would take to remove and spray I would at least try that before buying new ones.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
You just open the handle and there is a screw that keeps them attached. No need to take off the door panel.

Its so easy to do. For the 30 minutes it would take to remove and spray I would at least try that before buying new ones.

this.. and yes, they are plastic.. not metal.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Bumperplugs.com can paint for you or any body shop. You can prep them yourself to save some coin.

+1 on Bumperplugs or try contacting Automotivetouchup to see if they have the color code for the painted interior parts.

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=5_55

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Quick Reply: inside door handle replace or refinish?