Sponsored by:

Getting rid of bumperettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Go all the way down to the first post in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-by-step.html) and you can see what they look like from the inside of the bumper. Also a very good rear bumper removal DIY as well, and the one I used a few years ago when fitting the RUF rear bumper to my car and the Vorsteiner to my wife's.
One thing about this DIY.

On my car (2012 997.2) the bumperettes are just snapped in with tabs. The car in this DIY is a 997.1 and the bumperettes use plastic removable rivets. On the .2 you can use a plastic pry to pop them off without having to take the whole bumper cover off. It's not easy but can be done.
Doesn't really matter for the OP since he's also asking about removing the bumper arms too but just something for others to know and consider.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
One thing about this DIY.

On my car (2012 997.2) the bumperettes are just snapped in with tabs. The car in this DIY is a 997.1 and the bumperettes use plastic removable rivets. On the .2 you can use a plastic pry to pop them off without having to take the whole bumper cover off. It's not easy but can be done.
Doesn't really matter for the OP since he's also asking about removing the bumper arms too but just something for others to know and consider.

Great to hear that the 997.2 is different. I've given up the idea when I saw all the complexity of removing these bumperettes. However, if they just snap onto the bumper as you claim, I'll give it a try.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

It's really not that hard. The most difficult part will be filling the holes left once removed.
I've gotten down the time it takes to remove the rear bumper cover to under 4 minutes. All the screws are exposed except for one in each wheel well that are easily accessible once you find the correct angle for the longer screwdriver.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
Looks great. That horizontal reflector came with your 4S or did you changed the engine lid to fit it ? That horizontal red line sure makes the car look more aggressive and wider.
Henry, the red reflector strip is OEM and not something I added. I also changed the deck lid script to black and the S painted Arena Red. Looks sharp.

My body shop in Syracuse took pieces from a donor bumper and had it machined to fit in the bumperette holes. He plastic welded in place and then used filler to doll it up and then repaint and clear. Perfect result.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:16 PM
NightRyder
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The removal of the rear bumper isn't too difficult once you are able to locate all of the screws. The hardest screws to reach are up and behind the rear tire, but they are still reachable without having to remove the wheels. I've removed the rear bumper about 3 times, and I've cut down the time to about 2 hours. Removing the Bumper first will make the removal of the bumperettes so much easier. Well worth the extra effort instead of potentially damaging the area around the bumperettes prying from the outside.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:42 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

2 hours?!?! Are you using your teeth?
The following users liked this post:
Udo Koehler (05-21-2021)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 PM
NightRyder
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blindfolded with both hands tied behind my back?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 AM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGM5S8
GT3 Tek rear bumper?

You might be able to put some progressive height washers/spacers under the bumper attachment points in the engine bay using a taller one in the center and shorter as you work your way out to lift the bumper and even out the bumper to engine lid seam all the way across instead of it being larger in the center and tighter at the light corners.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 AM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, GT3 Tek, I will try that. Thanks

QUOTE=Petza914;14865812]GT3 Tek rear bumper?

You might be able to put some progressive height washers/spacers under the bumper attachment points in the engine bay using a taller one in the center and shorter as you work your way out to lift the bumper and even out the bumper to engine lid seam all the way across instead of it being larger in the center and tighter at the light corners.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Neither of my cars has them anymore because the aftermarket bumpers on them delete them so they're compatible with wider European license plates. I agree that the look is much cleaner without them.

If you do a search, there have been a couple people that have deleted them from US bumpers. I think one guy put some carbon fiber panels in their place.
That might be me. Haha. It's a full cut out in Carbon Fiber that just attaches to fill the empty space and cover the wholes. You can either drill or use 3M double stick body tape. I opted to drill for a more secure look and also helps with mounting the licence plate. The cut out isn't perfect but it works well. Hope this helps.

Petza, love the Vorsteiner rear on your wifes car. I was thinking of adding just the carbon rear diffuser. How's the fitment on the car, is it narrow body or wide body? Looking for a wide body rear without going GT3 center conversion.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

Originally Posted by drockzcity
That might be me. Haha. It's a full cut out in Carbon Fiber that just attaches to fill the empty space and cover the wholes. You can either drill or use 3M double stick body tape. I opted to drill for a more secure look and also helps with mounting the licence plate. The cut out isn't perfect but it works well. Hope this helps.

Petza, love the Vorsteiner rear on your wifes car. I was thinking of adding just the carbon rear diffuser. How's the fitment on the car, is it narrow body or wide body? Looking for a wide body rear without going GT3 center conversion.
Yup, that is you and the one I remember seeing 👍

Both my cars are narrow body C2Ss. The Vorsteiner bolted right up, but we're also the 2nd owner of it so any fitment work may have been done by the first owner. We bought the front and rear off another guy with a damaged the front CF lower lip. We decided not to replace it since my wife would probably have destroyed anyway using the car for DD duties. The rear section that has the molded in diffuser is usually painted black, but my wife didn't like that look and wanted all one color so that's what we did.

Here's another angle.

Last edited by Petza914; 03-16-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:10 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

is that the getty ducktail classic wing? looks straighter then the getty that replicates the sport classic ducktail. looks nice imo!

Originally Posted by drockzcity

Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
is that the getty ducktail classic wing? looks straighter then the getty that replicates the sport classic ducktail. looks nice imo!
Yup! Decided to go with the Classic from Getty, I think the lines looked better and I wasn't a fan of the third brake light in the middle of the tail. Plus the vent openings on top aren't as big or exaggerated so to me it looks cleaner overall.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Yup, that is you and the one I remember seeing 👍

Both my cars are narrow body C2Ss. The Vorsteiner bolted right up, but we're also the 2nd owner of it so any fitment work may have been done by the first owner. We bought the front and rear off another guy with a damaged the front CF lower lip. We decided not to replace it since my wife would probably have destroyed anyway using the car for DD duties. The rear section that has the molded in diffuser is usually painted black, but my wife didn't like that look and wanted all one color so that's what we did.
Great looking cars as always. I'll have to contact them to see if they make the rear for a widebody. If not, I don't mind just the diffuser. Thanks Petza!

Quick Reply: Getting rid of bumperettes