Sponsored by:

This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Also keep in mind that this is a forum where many people post to learn or share knowledge about specific issues concerning a particular brand of car. It is designed and intended to primarily discuss the problems. Few people come onto this forum (or any other) to simply say how lovely it all is. Also, the number of people on the forum is a tiny sample of the total population driving around and having a ball with their 997s or whatever.

In short, keep this information in perspective. Follow the good advice about the ppi, and what to look for, then move on it. You can't live scared or led around by the group think of a small population. Rennlist is a great resource - the best car forum I have ever interacted with, but it would not stop me from buying what I want. It would educate me to buy the best of what I want.
Thanks for the logical thoughts. And I have researched for months now. 996, 997.1 (2005), 997.1 (2006+), 997.2.I feel I have a good understanding of the pros and cons of each. I joined PCA test drive and went to a local PCA event and talked with actual humans as well.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:50 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

BailyII - Thanks for the response. That is the type of maintenance I expect and I am OK with. I have had my '05 S4 for 10 years and some years it is a $2 thousand in maintenance and most years just the cost of annual service.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought a 2006 C2S with 27k miles almost 3 years ago. The car came with no document history and was sold as is. I had a P dealer do the PPI and he did about a C+ job because I did not know to ask for an overrev report or to check for bore scoring. The dealer said it was perfect and so far they are right. It has needed normal maintenance and I have bought it tires, a clutch and a rear main seal($3000). It's a great car. I have put 24k miles on and I don't drive it in the winter. Do it.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

get a turbo and feel safe
Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

No - don't think like that.

It's a bloody good car. All cars have issues and knowing about them (which you will do here) is only a good thing. Then you know what to look for.

You will find this a very helpful community. I have learnt a lot and try to contribute with what I know and have done with the car.

A reflection I made after owning many new cars (not Porsche though) is that the forum discussions when a model is new is all about options, delivery times, best deals, production slots etc etc. After some time it goes over to maintenance costs, modifying questions, replacement wheels, where can I find the GT3 spoiler to retrofit, how can I upgrade the stereo etc, etc.
Then finally after some 6-7 years when you have second owners (like me) or even third owners the question comes more about repairs, service bills, advice for a good Indy but also the scaremongers.

I am trying in every Porsche forum where I am active to enlighten people about the true stats and even refer to comments from the gurus. Only two years ago it was much worse. Now most people know that IMS is only on the early 997.1. But of cause now everyone talks about bore scoring instead. Read the article on engine rebuilder Hartech homepage. It's very informative on IMS and bore scoring. It's very technical but very good. Should remove some of the fear and you will even learn how to treat and maintain the car to avoid much of these worries.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Racetwin2 - thank you. I will read the Hartech article.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

somehow ended up with a dupe
Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Shred
For 44k I would buy a 997.2 with higher mileage over a 997.1 any day.
Originally Posted by Turbodan
get a turbo and feel safe

^^^^^agreed. if it's a worrisome concern now then I'd just avoid the potential.

if I were going to get a 997.1 I'd be looking to do it in the 30s and not the 40s. Nothing wrong with a 997.1 As has been said, know the risks. Starting out at a lower price point should allow you to hold some back for emergencies..

of course if you're spending 44k I dont see why you wouldnt just grab something like this instead

https://www.montgomeryvillenissan.co...AB2A93AS720695
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I was like you, didn't know much about Porsches, so I came here and to other forums. After awhile, I felt pretty comfortable with the idea of purchasing a 2007 or 2008 997.1. But, in the end,the 997.2 had too many improvements to ignore.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GPGolden
This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1 Hopefully I am overreacting. I joined to become and educated consumer, but I feel there is too much of a chance I can drop $44k on a nice, low mileage 997.1 and 2 years later spend $7k on a clutch and $25k on an engine. say it aint so. I think I need to talk to humans instead of reading all the horror stories.
Knowledge is the basis for solving all problems. I 'd rather know exactly what I'm facing when buying used cars. That's why I don't even fully trust the 3rd party PPI process. Just give me a lift and I'll perform my own PPI that is more thorough than any indys PPI.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fined
^^^^^agreed. if it's a worrisome concern now then I'd just avoid the potential.

if I were going to get a 997.1 I'd be looking to do it in the 30s and not the 40s. Nothing wrong with a 997.1 As has been said, know the risks. Starting out at a lower price point should allow you to hold some back for emergencies..

of course if you're spending 44k I dont see why you wouldnt just grab something like this instead

https://www.montgomeryvillenissan.co...AB2A93AS720695
Fined - This car did come up in my search. My initial reaction is why is it at a Nissan dealer? Someone trade it in on a Sentra?? Also the Carfax has almost no service history. So I moved on.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

When I was shopping around, I focused on 997.2's and expected to pay for the extra 10-15K premium over a 997.1 of the similar flavor. I was once paranoid like you at all of the horror stories that I've read here. However, after a long search, I found a 997 and it was exactly what I was looking for; minus it being a 997.2. As a new 997.1 owner, all of my doubts were quickly suppressed because of the condition of the car that I've purchased.

The shop that did my PPI didn't even suggest a borescope test because it was not common and more of an internet phenomenon. Scoping it from the spark plug cylinders can give a false positive and the proper way to diagnose it is from the oil pan.

For most, if not all used car purchases, overall condition trumps mileage. If you're looking for a 997, I wouldn't be so quick to count out 997.1's, especially since you have a budget. Do your research, be patient and have a through PPI done. If you know your way around cars, you'll know when to walk away.

Last edited by DesmoSD; 03-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I’ll add a few more comments:

Every Porsche that I’ve ever owned (except the current 991.1 TTS) has had some kind of known potential issue that could result in a catastrophic failure. My 996 C4S had the IMS bearing potential issue. My Cayenne S had the coolant pipe/hydrolock potential issue. My 997.1 TT had the glued, plastic coolant line potential failure. None of these issues materialized for me. I knew the risk, but I bought and drove the cars.

As mentioned above, most 997.1 owners are oblivious to the potential issues. They happily drive their cars and enjoy the Porsche experience.

Go for it!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:08 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I have had my '05 S4 for 10 years and some years it is a $2 thousand in maintenance and most years just the cost of annual service.
Well the timing chain guides and tensioners are a ticking time bomb on the B6 S4. If you have been living with that lurking, then a 997.1 should not bother you at all, with its potential problems.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:15 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If reading about others' P-car woes diminishes your 997 experience--I suggest you stop visiting this forum or look for an alternative to the 997.

The 997.1 provides a wonderful driving experience, no doubt. After three years I still smile every time I fire mine up (Fister-style exhaust mods) and back out of the garage. I stopped visiting this forum for two years and simply enjoyed the car. Nice. I recently dropped by to see what's new... Next thing I know I am wiping traces black dust off my bumper wondering if my bores are scored

Quick Reply: This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1