Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To spare or not to spare

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Spare for me. One time without it and low sidewall damage at the edge of the tread - and 4 hours waiting for flatbed, then 4 hours to the nearest dealer in Alabama at 10pm - hotel, next day new tire, 3 hour drive back to Atlanta...you get the idea. Major suckage! And that was when the car still had the paid for Porsche Roadside Assistance. Would have cost me $1000 to flatbed it to Atlanta if I'd had to pay for it!!!!

So, yes, a spare and Edgy01's repair kit suggestions (which I tried but that won't help a sidewall or sidewall/tread corner puncture). Always the "what to do with the take-off". I have tire carriers and plastic in with the spare and would figure out something - something better than all that hassle above!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Spare for me. One time without it and low sidewall damage at the edge of the tread - and 4 hours waiting for flatbed, then 4 hours to the nearest dealer in Alabama at 10pm - hotel, next day new tire, 3 hour drive back to Atlanta...you get the idea. Major suckage! And that was when the car still had the paid for Porsche Roadside Assistance. Would have cost me $1000 to flatbed it to Atlanta if I'd had to pay for it!!!!

So, yes, a spare and Edgy01's repair kit suggestions (which I tried but that won't help a sidewall or sidewall/tread corner puncture). Always the "what to do with the take-off". I have tire carriers and plastic in with the spare and would figure out something - something better than all that hassle above!
Actually a plug kit will work with a sidewall puncture... assuming it is a puncture.... the point here is not a permanent repair, but to get the thing to hold air and get you home or to a service place. Just don't be doing 120 with it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-02-2018, 11:13 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Spare for me... picked one up on eBay for <$300 including the jack, cover. Fits in the drunk angled. Doesn’t leave room for luggage.

Todd
07 C2S cab
Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

What's the point of carrying a spare if it doesn't leave room for luggage? If you don't need luggage then you're close enough to home where AAA can come to the rescue and if you're on a trip where you're further away, you need luggage.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM
evo9
Advanced

I have a 997.2 C2S and I picked up a 996 17" spare, jack, and cover off ebay for <$300. And yes, I also carry two types of plug kits and have AAA Gold membership. The spare fits in the frunk, but I've not decided how to secure it yet. Wedged it it frunk with a piece of 2x4 lumber, but wife ragged on me bad... For long trips, I may just strap it in rear seat behind driver.

Years ago, I was stranded on side of hiway and it was a complete utter pia.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:07 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

My road trip luggage is a reusable grocery bag or two, which will fit in the frunk on top of the spare. A suitcase, if needed would have to go on the back seat folded. I think somebody said that the inflatable spare would fit flat in the frunk.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
That spare tire kit from Suncoast is the only thing I've found. As is says on their website if you have a flat on the rear you have to first take off your front wheel, put the spare on the front, then put your front tire on the rear. You also have to carry the spare around in the rear seat and if you have a flat then your full size tire will have to go back there. Seems like I did recently see a website that sold just the spare, without the jack, tire cover, etc. and it was significantly cheaper. Probably something I would consider for really long road trips.

Here's my delimma. According to Suncoast site, the spare tire can only be used on the front. There is no problem using it if you have a flat front. If you have a flat on the rear, than the process is to take off the front, move it to the back and use the spare on the front. I found 90% of the flat happens on the rear because the front kicks up any debris and the back catches it. Now I couldn't get a definitive answer on the spare tire kit. This will require the jack to lift both front and back at the same time to switch these tires back to front. Will the jack be capable to handle it ? Or is there a risk that the jack will collapse due to contortions if I have to elevate the car that high off the ground to clear both front and back ?
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

car is likely stiff enough you can get both wheels off the ground. Then the question will be: Can you still fit the rear wheel in the frunk?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:13 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't carry a spare. And my goo is expired. Never gave it a second thought.

Now I'm paranoid. Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

Why cant you use the spare on the back- too much weight?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:58 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I dunno. Perhaps the weight exceeded the tire specifications. Bear in mind my stock rear is 295-30-19.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Here's my delimma. According to Suncoast site, the spare tire can only be used on the front. There is no problem using it if you have a flat front. If you have a flat on the rear, than the process is to take off the front, move it to the back and use the spare on the front. I found 90% of the flat happens on the rear because the front kicks up any debris and the back catches it. Now I couldn't get a definitive answer on the spare tire kit. This will require the jack to lift both front and back at the same time to switch these tires back to front. Will the jack be capable to handle it ? Or is there a risk that the jack will collapse due to contortions if I have to elevate the car that high off the ground to clear both front and back ?
You'll have to do a switcheroo. Jack up the front, remove the good tire and install the spare. Jack up the back, remove the flat rear tire and install front tire on the rear.

I'll haul the spare in the back seat along with some over-sized contractor garbage bags. The plan is to wrap up the spare and cram the flat back there. Or just cry on the side of the road.

Last edited by Hula; 08-02-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: To spare or not to spare