Window moving up and down on its own...2007 997 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:18 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Window moving up and down on its own...2007 997 Cabrio

Good day everyone...

I noticed a weird issue with the passenger window on my new to me, 2007 997 Cabrio. When the car is unlocked and or driving i notice that the passenger window will pulse up and down on its own from time to time. Otherwise the window is functioning like it should. Goes up and down fine, one touch works in both directions and the window opens up a half inch when opening the doors....

I have tried to reset the window using the button procedure outlined here in the forum.. did not seem to help.

Any idea what I should be looking at? Maybe a faulty micro switch? if so, which one?

Any help fixing this annoying issue would be great!!!

Video attached.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1212.MOV (1.54 MB, 195 views)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Perhaps a Catholic Priest?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:35 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

LOL... It is Sunday after all ;-)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,555 Likes on 4,169 Posts

See my post in this thread from yesterday. Likely the same issue -
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1048880-strange-window-behavior.html#post14794020
Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

OP, I received the visitor message you sent referencing an old post I had made in another thread. I didn't even know "visitor messages" existed! But in any case, let me answer in this thread:

The last part of Petza's answer in the post he references (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14794020) was what the dealer found to be wrong with mine. The door panel had somehow become slightly misaligned. All they had to do in my case was loosen the door panel, realign it properly, and tighten everything back down. This allowed the microswitch shown in that other thread to align properly. Otherwise, I guess the handle just vibrates a little and goes in and out of contact with that switch. Hopefully yours is this simple fix too.

I think you can determine if this is likely the cause by just gently tapping on the inner door handle... bumping it up and down a little... and see if the window indexing jitters like you are seeing.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
OP, I received the visitor message you sent referencing an old post I had made in another thread. I didn't even know "visitor messages" existed! But in any case, let me answer in this thread:

The last part of Petza's answer in the post he references (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14794020) was what the dealer found to be wrong with mine. The door panel had somehow become slightly misaligned. All they had to do in my case was loosen the door panel, realign it properly, and tighten everything back down. This allowed the microswitch shown in that other thread to align properly. Otherwise, I guess the handle just vibrates a little and goes in and out of contact with that switch. Hopefully yours is this simple fix too.

I think you can determine if this is likely the cause by just gently tapping on the inner door handle... bumping it up and down a little... and see if the window indexing jitters like you are seeing.
The post that the inner door handle screws onto is attached to the back of the door card and what holds it on is 3 screws in oval slots, designed to allow for some fine adjustment to get the handle to sit flush in its recess. When reassembling and reinstalling the door panel, after I've threaded these 3 screws in, but vefure putting the panel back onto the door, I temporarily reinstall the silver inner handle on the post and get it fitting perfectly into the door spear, then tighten the three screws that hold that assembly. Then you have to remove the silver handle again as one of the door panel fastener bolts is behind the little circular cap in the door spear. I mention this because panel alignment shouldn't effect this at all since the habdle assembly is part of tge doir card as is the door spear, but the handle assembly alignment on the door card certainly will, and maybe this us what StormRune meant.

His testing method is right on though, but you'll need to do it sitting inside the car or by manually closing the door catch tgat engages with the striker when the door is closed to trigger that microswitch so the window is all the way up to test what's making it drop.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Thank you for giving a much better description of that Pete. You know a lot more detail on this than I do since I only know what the dealer told me; and you know how misleading "the dealer said" can be.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you for giving a much better description of that Pete. You know a lot more detail on this than I do since I only know what the dealer told me; and you know how misleading "the dealer said" can be.
No problem at all. I've had these things apart numerous times for various reasons and prefer to do my own repair and maintenance work so have direct experience I can share, and am happy to help out my Porsche brethren with it.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Thanks a bunch. ;-). I am traveling on business for the next 4 days, but will look into this when I get back. I will report back what I find. ;-)

Appriciate the help!!!

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look at my post Strange Window Behaviour

Ordered a used replacement window motor/control unit from eBay for about $50 which fixed the problem, new ones are around $550. Part number 997-624-181-06 for the passenger side.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also check for damp carpet behind driver's seat. If you find some look under seat and see if it is wet there. Report back.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:26 AM
StubobT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chonniedotcom
LOL... It is Sunday after all ;-)
resurrection of an older post seems appropriate then because my 997.2 is displaying the same weird actions. Did the OP solve the problem?
was it the microswitch?
Thanks.

addendum: I see it was fixed. Sorry. I missed earlier posts somehow 🙄 Will have a go at door panel align although if I hold the outer door handle open it stops the action and it starts again when let go.

Last edited by StubobT; 11-29-2023 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Missed earlier posts.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StubobT
resurrection of an older post seems appropriate then because my 997.2 is displaying the same weird actions. Did the OP solve the problem?
was it the microswitch?
Thanks.

addendum: I see it was fixed. Sorry. I missed earlier posts somehow 🙄 Will have a go at door panel align although if I hold the outer door handle open it stops the action and it starts again when let go.
Thanks to Petza below, I've figured out that my answer below is incorrect and applies to the 991.1 and 981. I got the model years mixed up. My apologies!

The behavior you described is consistent with it being related to the microswitch and it falsely triggering the car to index the window for someone opening the door. With a misalignment or a loosely-installed door panel the handle’s magnet is just far enough from the sensor that vibrations can make it oscillate between being engaged and disengaged. When you hold the handle open the switch is no longer near the handle’s magnet so it stops with the window in the downward indexed position.

When the alignment/looseness is corrected the magnet and the switch are close again when the handle is at rest so the car knows the handle isn’t being pulled… until it is actually pulled.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-29-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The behavior you described is consistent with it being related to the microswitch and it falsely triggering the car to index the window for someone opening the door. With a misalignment or a loosely-installed door panel the handle’s magnet is just far enough from the sensor that vibrations can make it oscillate between being engaged and disengaged. When you hold the handle open the switch is no longer near the handle’s magnet so it stops with the window in the downward indexed position.

When the alignment/looseness is corrected the magnet and the switch are close again when the handle is at rest so the car knows the handle isn’t being pulled… until it is actually pulled.
Are you talking about the outer handle that uses a magnet and proximity microswitch?

There is no magnet on the inside door handle assembly. It has a molded in plastic pin on the backside that goes through a hole in the door spear to engage a plunger microswitch.

I don't know how the other handle or the latch mechanism mocroswitches work as I've never had to mess with either in my cars.
The following users liked this post:
StubobT (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 04:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I’ve had a few too many cars and no longer have this model. I guess I’ve confused cars?!

Edit: Yep, I went and verified my earlier description actually applies to the 991.1. I've struck out that post.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Are you talking about the outer handle that uses a magnet and proximity microswitch?

There is no magnet on the inside door handle assembly. It has a molded in plastic pin on the backside that goes through a hole in the door spear to engage a plunger microswitch.

I don't know how the other handle or the latch mechanism mocroswitches work as I've never had to mess with either in my cars.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-29-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Window moving up and down on its own...2007 997 Cabrio