Sponsored by:

Is this 997.1 C4 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by jll1011

Pete, you are the best. Really appreciate your willingness to take the time to help everyone and your deep knowledge.
+1. Pete's one of the best of not THE best assets on the forum. Amazing depth of knowledge of all aspects of these cars. And always there to share when someone has doubts or questions.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,368 Likes on 4,058 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
+1. Pete's one of the best of not THE best assets on the forum. Amazing depth of knowledge of all aspects of these cars. And always there to share when someone has doubts or questions.
You guys are too much - really, but I appreciate it.

Vincent713, I've seen a kit that allows the removal of the front drive system and differential, but can't find the link again, and don't remember if it was only for the 996 with the viscous coupling for the AWD or if it also worked for the 997 since the AWD system is different. I've also seen information that says the 997s were designed where if you lift the parking brake lever up one click it's like a switch that defeats the front drive system. Don't know if this was so Porsche could run an AWD car on a more common RWD dyno or if it's so you could have total RWD when wanted or AWD when wanted, but that might be worth doing further research on.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Hey gentlemen, if I end up getting this 08' C4 which I have my fingers crossed, will I be able to disable the front wheel drive portion on the AWD? If so, how hard is it to do? Will it anyway decrease performance or affects the electronics or any way at all?

I live in TX where it never snows here so I don't think I need the AWD. I do love the wide hips it possess though. What are your thoughts on comparison between the AWD & RWD in regards to performance and steering feel?
Vincent. You can disable the front wheel drive if it's a .1 997. I remember watching a youtube video on it. But I don't have the link so you will need to google it.

I'd recommend you leave it stock. It's not too intrusive. It is a little more planted and prone to u understeer versus a c2. But whips out the corners good. I could notice a difference if I drove my car back to back with a c2. Many threads here on the pros and cons

most of the time the car feels like a rear wheel drive car unless it's wet on the road or your really flogging it.

Tim.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:42 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by cosanchez
Vincent. You can disable the front wheel drive if it's a .1 997. I remember watching a youtube video on it. But I don't have the link so you will need to google it.

I'd recommend you leave it stock. It's not too intrusive. It is a little more planted and prone to u understeer versus a c2. But whips out the corners good. I could notice a difference if I drove my car back to back with a c2. Many threads here on the pros and cons

most of the time the car feels like a rear wheel drive car unless it's wet on the road or your really flogging it.

Tim.
Yes this car is a 997.1 and I tried searching on youtube but couldn't find anything on disabling the front wheel drive feature. So you say the AWD has more of an understeer? I much prefer oversteer than understeer.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

That C4 is at a nice price right now and I bet room for even more negotiation...
Old 04-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeebus31
That C4 is at a nice price right now and I bet room for even more negotiation...
My thoughts exactly, I am bringing this car to have a ppi done. Once I get the full report on it, I will post on here.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

I've been doing research and found that you can absolutely change your 996 & 997.1 C4/C4S AWD to RWD while still maintaining your ABS functionality. Phenix Engineering has a kit to do so here.

http://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

Quick Reply: Is this 997.1 C4 worth it?