Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber bucket seats on sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 12:09 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

I guess I should probably figure out how to handle insurance on them these days? Not sure insurance pays out for mods ... so when a seat is worth 1/3-1/4 of a car, what do you do for insurance?
Old 08-02-2023, 01:31 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
I guess I should probably figure out how to handle insurance on them these days? Not sure insurance pays out for mods ... so when a seat is worth 1/3-1/4 of a car, what do you do for insurance?
This is a great question for your insurance agent/provider.

Some auto policies allow you to add mods with a stated value.

There is an Insurance called “Errors and Omissions” that insurance agents hold to protect their asses if they give bad information or fail to provide adequate coverage for your needs.

So if you’re wondering about that, send them an email and have them tell you your options or if it is covered by your policy.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:58 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

I currently insure with Porsche Auto Insurance (licensed by Porsche and underwritten by Mile Auto). They have been the best insurer for my 911 (I've tried Hagerty and Llloyd). You pay by the mile, there are no mileage limits or use restrictions, they cover mods, and will replace parts with OE Porsche parts. Their customer service is excellent too. The only caveat is that they are in a limited number of states so far: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin. Highly recommended if you qualify in one of their states.

Re: folding bucket seat prices, welcome to the Porsche tax that comes with owning these cars. I am not sure I would spring $16K for these seats either. I was fortunate to buy a new set from Carnewal for $10K a couple years ago, and even back then, that was a big financial pill to swallow. But these are the best seats I've ever experienced hands down. They are supportive yet comfortable, even on long-distance drives. I've driven 8+ hours in these seats. Plus they look the shizzle. They are narrow and not suited for bodies over 200 lbs (YMMV). If you can get a hold of a set, these seats are highly recommended.

I think the next best thing would be Recaro Sportster CS seats. They are about $4K for a pair and are supportive and comfortable. They look pretty good too, but require some finagling to fit into a 997. There are lots of threads and DIYs on RL.

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
This is a great question for your insurance agent/provider.

Some auto policies allow you to add mods with a stated value.

There is an Insurance called “Errors and Omissions” that insurance agents hold to protect their asses if they give bad information or fail to provide adequate coverage for your needs.

So if you’re wondering about that, send them an email and have them tell you your options or if it is covered by your policy.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 08-02-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:48 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

I was thinking we could start a Carbon FIber Bucket Seat 12 step program.
Meetings with previous owners who are now destitute on streets of San Fran - Maybe Detour such a high expenditure?
Just kidding & Bored no friends

Last edited by groovzilla; 08-06-2023 at 06:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
ABNJOE (08-03-2023), Que (08-08-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 05:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
If your not skinny they are awful and not a long drive comfort at all
I guess it depends on what's considered skinny and what's considered a long drive. I bought my -09 C4S with the buckets in Pompano Beach, FL. About a 3 1/2 hour drive across the state to my hometown on the FL west coast. At 6'3" and 181 lbs, I'm not skinny nor fat but right in the middle or slightly below on the BMI charts I've found.

That 3 1/2 hour drive getting home was perfectly comfortable to me. I could easily have kept going for quiet a while. No discomfort whatsoever. But.... another to each their own. Everyone have their own definition of "comfort". I like the buckets so much that when I came across a GTS with them I had to buy that car. Very rare combination. Sold the -09 C4S and the buyer told me he sold the buckets for I think $8K and replaced them with some kind of regular stock seats. He said he had a bad back and the buckets didn't work for him.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:01 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

StateFarm say nope. You can’t add mod value. I guess I can switch it over to antique policy but that has restrictions. Guess I need to dig into it a bit.

Anyone with a non stated value policy have any luck with a mainstream insurer?
Old 08-06-2023, 07:23 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 203 Posts
Default 992 buckets

How much are the 992 buckets new? I believe they fit into 997s just fine.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have to say that the seats provide a superior fit, but that’s just nuts. $$$. The best stock seats I’ve ever experienced are those in a BMW I8, but it takes a crane to get myself out later.

BMW I8 seats

Last edited by Edgy01; 08-08-2023 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Adding photo

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber bucket seats on sale