Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade or stay put?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

What seems to be missing is that you can typically find a decent used engine for approximately 10 to 12k, with another 2k for install. still not cheap but not 25k either.

I have zero interest in a 991, save a 991.2 gt3, but they are far too much car for the street so i'll pass
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Both the 997 and the 991 are great cars and fun to drive. The older 911s get, the more pesky and expensive to maintain they become. Stuff just wears out and breaks over time. With that in mind, a newer 991.1 may be more enjoyable to those not wanting to deal or having the $$$ to deal with potential maintenance and upkeep of 10+ year old sports cars.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to put in a new engine due to scoring. It was at the tail end of my extended warranty, and it kicked in for the value of a used engine and I paid the difference for an RND. All told, over the 6 year term, my extended warranty paid out almost 7 times what it cost me, with no hassle or denial of claims. That is the most any of the dozen or so extended warranties I've had have repaid...most have paid back double or triple, a couple broke even...but not once have I ever lost money on an extended warranty. Having replaced everything of major cost other than the transmission, I am going bare on mine now.

As for trading, as someone astutely pointed out, the inevitable depreciation on a newer car easily outweighs the cost of a new engine, which is not necessarily inevitable. If you think keeping the older car is Russian Roulette, buying a new car is Russian Roulette with all six chambers loaded.

What it comes down to is are you itching for a different car? Life is short, get what makes you happy. None of these cars is about basic transportation necessity. They are utilitarian toys.

In my case I opted to go with a new engine (and some paintwork currently, as FL sun finally did the clearcoat in) and keep the car. It's exactly what I want in a Porsche...rocky ride, noisy, no nanny devices other than ABS and traction control, but the safety and reliability of a modern car. I took the money it would have cost me to trade up to a newer 911, put part of it into fixing this one, and the rest into an '08 Corvette. Now I've got two very different sportscars and belong to two different car clubs.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 PM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Upgrade or stay put sums up my Porsche history fairly well. I moved from my ‘75 914 to a ‘72 911. Form there I thought I needed a faster 911, so I purchased a 911SC. Then sold off the Porsches to focus on starting a family. I came back to the Porsche world with a ‘00 Boxster S. Sold it for the 997 and I too think about 991s. I see history repeating and I think back to my ‘72 911. If I could, I would own that car again and call it good. OP, I totally understand your question, but this is a question that no one can help you with. I feel like I have chased the next Porsche enough, so I will likely just keep mine and build it like I want. For me, even if I went with a great 991, there would just be the next model to think about. I am going to build my 997 to be what I want. The mods and upgrades of my current car will my move on.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I’m starting to think that your best option is an extended, transferable, warranty. You have time to decide, the warranty will put your mind at ease, you won’t lose much money on it, and if you decide to upgrade, if the warranty will be an attractor to anyone looking at your old car. If you keep your car, you are protected. Seems like the perfect hedge.

That said, like for like Porsches (base vs base, S vs. S, Turbo vs. Turbo) don’t have significant performance improvements over time. The base 991 I drove wasn’t that much faster on the street than my 996. On track, maybe different, but not as much on the street. You may find that you prefer a GTS if you are coming from an S.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:12 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I’m starting to think that your best option is an extended, transferable, warranty. You have time to decide, the warranty will put your mind at ease, you won’t lose much money on it, and if you decide to upgrade, if the warranty will be an attractor to anyone looking at your old car. If you keep your car, you are protected. Seems like the perfect hedge.

That said, like for like Porsches (base vs base, S vs. S, Turbo vs. Turbo) don’t have significant performance improvements over time. The base 991 I drove wasn’t that much faster on the street than my 996. On track, maybe different, but not as much on the street. You may find that you prefer a GTS if you are coming from an S.
Hell, I'd sell my car right now for a GTS. I love it, but not THAT much. Do you have a spare $50K I could use?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:10 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay put with 997
Best 911 water-cooled
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 119 Posts

Aren't these warranties like $2-3k a pop? Why not take the money you'd put into the extended warranty and put it into a rainy day account instead? When you are done with the car, it'll likely still be there and you can use it as a further down payment against whatever you get next or just keep building the repair fund by continuing to ignore the scams...I mean warranties offered by the dealerships
Old 12-22-2017, 12:54 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
Stay put with 997
Best 911 water-cooled
nope.. sorry.
the 991 is superior in every way.
i have owned both.

on a side note the macan turbo S can't touch. 991. Comments like that come from people never tracked a 991.
the 991 punches way above its rating..
991 won motortrend car of the year twice!!!! Twice!!, the 997 got beat out by e92 m3.....
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,061 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 911
Aren't these warranties like $2-3k a pop? Why not take the money you'd put into the extended warranty and put it into a rainy day account instead? When you are done with the car, it'll likely still be there and you can use it as a further down payment against whatever you get next or just keep building the repair fund by continuing to ignore the scams...I mean warranties offered by the dealerships
Or maybe it won't be there and maybe it won't end with that. I had one of those $3K warranties on my -09 C4S when the PDK crapped out. A $14,000 replacement paid in full with zero deductible.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

nope.. sorry.
i have owned both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAIKr47ytV4

on a side note the macan turbo S can't touch. 991. Comments like that come from people never tracked a 991.
the 991 punches way above its rating..
991 won motortrend car of the year twice!!!! Twice!!, the 997 got beat out by e92 m3.....
So what. I'm not talking about the reliability of the engine. I'm talking about the total package. The excitement. The noise in the cabin drove. The steering wheel. 997 This is the perfect 911 since 1998. Today, 991 is a vehicle this year. But not compared to 997
Old 12-22-2017, 02:22 AM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

nope.. sorry.
i have owned both..
That is likely true for you, but there is room for debate per individual preference. The car is more than just track times and stats. There is an individual connection that cannot be measured in hp or seconds. I love the 997 dash and console layout. It feels like all my older 911s. The 991 seems to have lost that feeling for me. As someone who has owned 911 from the 70s and 80s, the 997 just feels right. That is not to say the 997 is better, it just feels more like a traditional 911. I guess if someone always wants the newest and best, they would lease and never buy. That is a thought for this thread. Maybe we should be talking about leases and we should just be looking at a per month cost. After all, I am sure the 992 will be better in every way than the 991.1 and 991.2. My kids will likely buy 911 with full electric motors or with mid engines that will top anything we have today.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Or maybe it won't be there and maybe it won't end with that. I had one of those $3K warranties on my -09 C4S when the PDK crapped out. A $14,000 replacement paid in full with zero deductible.
That is the risk you take. If you've bought 10 cars and paid for the warranty 10 times with one major repair like this, you're still behind. I do understand that it "feels good" to have one and helps with the "what if" scenarios, but these companies are for profit, so statistically speaking, you're going to lose if you buy one. Every one and a while, something like this does happen. Does that mean everyone should buy one? In my opinion, no, but YMMV.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:28 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

If you think keeping the older car is Russian Roulette, buying a new car is Russian Roulette with all six chambers loaded.
@Ben Z - well said, especially for one of the unlucky few. Sorry to hear about the scored bores but glad it ended well.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:28 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Upgrade. If you are worried about reliability, and you should be, then just upgrade and be done with it. It sounds like that is what you want to do anyways

Quick Reply: Upgrade or stay put?