Sponsored by:

997 Carrera S replacement rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:35 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
i was looking on the item page and that wasn't stated in the warranty listed, but great find.... that is insane. Educated guess says they are speculating that most will not take them up on the offer. Because to the informed, that's the cost of return shipping for a lifetime's worth of rotors. That's incredible. Crap.. why did I go Girodisc?
I certainly hope it's not because margins on repair parts on that high. Only other thing I can figure is that they are banking on DiYers not keeping a car long enough to consume something more than once.
Other than one's personal morals, I'm not sure what's stopping you from buying 1 of something like a coil pack, and then returning it 6 times to get a full set.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
Only other thing I can figure is that they are banking on DiYers not keeping a car long enough to consume something more than once.
Yep, probably this. I had a professor back in school use Midas as a model for this. Their lifetime guarantee mufler was real but the mufflers were made of crap metal and rotted. I had them replace a few for free on a Honda I had back in the day. The professor said they counted on people selling the car.... how long a person keeps a car (less back then) was clearly known.... so you just do the math. If your profits are higher than the costs of replacment, then advertise the heck out of that plan.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Shred
@3Series: Getting the ATE Rotors from FCP Euro is a great idea! If they warp or crack on track, ask for new ones! I was planning to get some Sebro Slotted rottors but maybe I will go down this route instead.
I was skeptical at first but now that I have first hand experience, it really is too good to be true but it is true. One caveat is that inventory can change, it hasn't happened yet on the stuff I've bought but I'm way ahead right now so it doesn't matter. Besides rotors, I also do about 4-5 oil changes a year and believe it or not if you send them back your messy used filter, they will give you new ones! I save them up and ship 4-5 back at one time. $6 shipping for $40-50 worth of filters is a win for me. I hope FCP has figured out a winning formula for themselves.

FYI, i've been doing this for a couple of years now. I even asked if used Oil can be returned.... it can't...
Old 11-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
I was skeptical at first but now that I have first hand experience, it really is too good to be true but it is true. One caveat is that inventory can change, it hasn't happened yet on the stuff I've bought but I'm way ahead right now so it doesn't matter. Besides rotors, I also do about 4-5 oil changes a year and believe it or not if you send them back your messy used filter, they will give you new ones! I save them up and ship 4-5 back at one time. $6 shipping for $40-50 worth of filters is a win for me. I hope FCP has figured out a winning formula for themselves.

FYI, i've been doing this for a couple of years now. I even asked if used Oil can be returned.... it can't...
While i know they are ok with it, i find this to be super grimey. fcp offers great prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service, so despite their warranty i would not want to take advantage of them in this way. defective part, no problem, but used oil filters...nope, not me
Old 11-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
While i know they are ok with it, i find this to be super grimey. fcp offers great prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service, so despite their warranty i would not want to take advantage of them in this way. defective part, no problem, but used oil filters...nope, not me
+1
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally I'd agree, and I probably still wont return an oil filter as it's not worth the hassle of boxing that dirty thing back up, and then doing an RMA etc, but they go so far as to specifically suggest this practice. If FCP wanted to limit it to parts with a minimum price of $50 to prevent people from doing this with wipers, filters, and spark plugs they could.

I look at it the same way as I do free refills at a fast food place. I'm not going to order the large when free refills on the small are an option.

Last edited by BillNye; 11-21-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:49 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I would normally agree. However, there's no implied defect and no warranty claim. They call it a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, "covers everything we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, gaskets, brake rotors, filters, and wiper blades"

"Once the part purchased from FCP Euro wears out, simply purchase a replacement and then return the part you purchased to us within 90 days. We will issue you a refund against the replacement. No fine print, no restrictions, no time limit!"

So, there is nothing unethical about this practice, they specially want you to send back worn out items like filters and wiper blades. Most DIY'ers won't benefit from this, the only folks that probably go through consumables that FCP selss are DE guys, and the number of DE guys that DIY is even smaller than that group. Racer's prob aren't buying anything that's needed from FCP so that eliminates that crowd.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I know their policy i guess i just have a personal problem with doing it.

I could absolutely buy brake rotors for my track car there but im not sure i could bring myself to send thr old ones back
Old 11-22-2017, 01:29 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I know their policy i guess i just have a personal problem with doing it.

I could absolutely buy brake rotors for my track car there but im not sure i could bring myself to send thr old ones back
Said nobody ever.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

hey, if you don't have an issue with it, go for it, I know they will welcome the used worn out parts. I'd rather see FCP stay alive for a long time, so I'll eat the extra cost.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

hey, if you don't have an issue with it, go for it, I know they will welcome the used worn out parts. I'd rather see FCP stay alive for a long time, so I'll eat the extra cost.
Said nobody ever, either.

Wanna pay higher taxes, too?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Said nobody ever, either.

Wanna pay higher taxes, too?
I don't equate trying to help an excellent small business survive in spite of themselves to paying higher taxes, which don't benefit me in any way.

Quick Reply: 997 Carrera S replacement rotors