997 Carrera S replacement rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:10 PM
RowdyD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Carrera S replacement rotors

Hi All,
I've managed to warp my rotors at a track day recently and before I head out and pick up OEM replacements I'm wondering if anyone has some better advise?

I use the car as my daily drive with only a track day every 1-2 months so there's no point in getting too serious.

Thoughts?

Many thanks
Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you sure they've warped? The same thing happened to me and I was told it's very hard to warp these discs, and it was most likely dirt on one of the pads. The 'dirt' came off the pad and my braking returned to normal. You could give it a few hard stops to see if you wear anything off the pads, or replace the pads first before the discs (assuming you've life left on them).
Old 11-19-2017, 05:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

If you end up looking for replacements, I like the dba 2-piece slotted versions (disc brakes australia). Have them on my wife's car. The slots mean you always have fresh pad material contacting the rotor, they help prevent glazing, and the 2-piece design reduces unsprung weight a little and means for future replacements, you just replace the disc itself and don't need to rebuy the had, which makes it a little less expensive.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

More likely pad deposits.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

If you're anticipating further track days, I would recommend not using the OEM drilled rotors. You'll find a number of posts on the subject, discussing the cracking issues. I've had good experiences with Sebro slotted, and friends have used Zimmerman rotors without problems.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyD
Hi All,
I've managed to warp my rotors at a track day recently and before I head out and pick up OEM replacements I'm wondering if anyone has some better advise?

I use the car as my daily drive with only a track day every 1-2 months so there's no point in getting too serious.

Thoughts?

Many thanks
Front and back? Or just one end? What size are your front rotors? If you have a 350mm rotor, you may be able to sub a set of Cayenne rotors. A lot of us use them on our GT3s - and they only cost around $100 a corner. If you able to use them, research here on Rennlist and you'll see they are a great alternative.

Also, I agree that it is very hard to warp them. Drive on the street a few days and see if the issue corrects itself.

Lastly, all rotors are going to crack. There is really no downside to OEM - it's just a chunk of metal...

-td
Old 11-19-2017, 11:10 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Also check to make sure the internal vanes point to the rear of the car while rotating in the direction of forward motion. It creates a low pressure zone inside the rotors sucking heat out.

When I bought my car a few years ago the front L&R rotors were swapped and the front calipers were a nice off red color from overheating on the track. Obviously the prior owner didn't know the difference.

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyD
Hi All,

Thoughts?

Many thanks
I'm not going to speculate on rotor being warped.

But, my recommendation is to buy ATE rotors from FCP Euro. They are $85/ piece and have a lifetime warranty including wear. It costs about $25/rotor to ship back.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Subscribed for cheap rotors with a warranty!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

I like the Brembo rotors. They also paint the hub of the rotors with this "pretty grey" finish that seems to be holding up pretty well!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
I'm not going to speculate on rotor being warped.

But, my recommendation is to buy ATE rotors from FCP Euro. They are $85/ piece and have a lifetime warranty including wear. It costs about $25/rotor to ship back.

Can you please show me where the warranty includes wear?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

"Every auto part you buy from FCP Euro is guaranteed for life, for as long as you own the vehicle. Our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee covers everything we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, gaskets, brake rotors, filters, and wiper blades!"

I've yet to use it yet, and I'm still skeptical, but I've ordered a couple "consumables" from them as they were an otherwise fair price, irrespective of the warranty.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

@3Series: Getting the ATE Rotors from FCP Euro is a great idea! If they warp or crack on track, ask for new ones! I was planning to get some Sebro Slotted rottors but maybe I will go down this route instead.

Last edited by Shred; 11-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Any idea why they don't sell the rear rotors (ATE)?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

"Every auto part you buy from FCP Euro is guaranteed for life, for as long as you own the vehicle. Our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee covers everything we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, gaskets, brake rotors, filters, and wiper blades!"

I've yet to use it yet, and I'm still skeptical, but I've ordered a couple "consumables" from them as they were an otherwise fair price, irrespective of the warranty.

i was looking on the item page and that wasn't stated in the warranty listed, but great find.... that is insane. Educated guess says they are speculating that most will not take them up on the offer. Because to the informed, that's the cost of return shipping for a lifetime's worth of rotors. That's incredible. Crap.. why did I go Girodisc?

Quick Reply: 997 Carrera S replacement rotors