Sponsored by:

PDK warning message

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
It's quite interesting that starting 2017, I am seeing more and more PDK issues reported ALL OVER. It sure looks like PDK lifespan is around 7-8yrs or so. Not a great sign! I wonder if PDK was updated in 991 or 991.2, and specially for GT-cars, and if those have less issues or not (won't know for a few years)?!

Generally it looks like the MORE we put electronics into our cars, the lesser the reliability and lifespan, I think 997 would be on of the last Porsches that could last for decades and mended easily, possibly 991... BUT any of the newer cars are so dependent on their electronics, they will be incredibly prone to issue moving forward, specially if Software updates are not provided for cars beyond a certain time.
Originally Posted by f911
I also think.. An interesting point and I'd love to hear too..
I know too many people that their PDK has failed. Around 80-100 km.
A lot of problems that start with "smoothing" or slow shifting of the gears.
The Solution: replacement of the PDK or, renovation (VERY expensive)
This is worrying because I also think of upgrading to PDK (or 997.2 / 991.1 manual) in the future [Today I'm with TIPTRONIC S 997 (only in manual mode and sports ).]

I know that the gt3 991 PDK is different. Hardware and software.
Can you guys elaborate, the PDK failure rate is basically 0? There is no "high" failure rate. It's a sealed bulletproof unit. Race proven, and lots of empirical data supporting nothing but robustness.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Can you guys elaborate, the PDK failure rate is basically 0? There is no "high" failure rate. It's a sealed bulletproof unit. Race proven, and lots of empirical data supporting nothing but robustness.
LOL... really? Zero? Just look around this forum and 6speed to see dozens of reports. It was maybe close to zero in the first 5yrs of use, essentially when new, however, starting the 6th year they've begun to develop all sorts of issues or complete failure. Race-proven? If so, WHY not used in Cup cars?

One major problem is that you can't service it, so the issue maybe a sensor inside PDK that cannot be changed without taking the whole thing apart, resulting in tens of thousands of repair... again points to my earlier point of added electronics making Porsche 911 not much of a long-term car, as it used to be from first gen till now!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

LOL... really? Zero? Just look around this forum and 6speed to see dozens of reports. It was maybe close to zero in the first 5yrs of use, essentially when new, however, starting the 6th year they've begun to develop all sorts of issues or complete failure. Race-proven? If so, WHY not used in Cup cars?

One major problem is that you can't service it, so the issue maybe a sensor inside PDK that cannot be changed without taking the whole thing apart, resulting in tens of thousands of repair... again points to my earlier point of added electronics making Porsche 911 not much of a long-term car, as it used to be from first gen till now!

I have seen no widespread reports. Keep in mind there were 97,082 first gen PDK equipped Porsches from 2009-2012 (North America Only). So even if you say there are "Dozens", that's still 0.0001%, or effectively "0"
The PDK is extremely robust and race proven. It was developed and raced in group B rally cars in the 1980's. The most reliable DCT to date. By a large margin. There are plenty of cup series and race series with PDK equipped Porsches.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen no widespread reports. Keep in mind there were 97,082 first gen PDK equipped Porsches from 2009-2012 (North America Only). So even if you say there are "Dozens", that's still 0.0001%, or effectively "0"
The PDK is extremely robust and race proven. It was developed and raced in group B rally cars in the 1980's. The most reliable DCT to date. By a large margin. There are plenty of cup series and race series with PDK equipped Porsches.

It is not the same PDK transmission system. Similar technology.
And the majority with sequential transaxle.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f911
It is not the same PDK transmission system. Similar technology.
And the majority with sequential transaxle.

Yes it is.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 257 Posts

PDKs are robust. Failures are almost non-existant. But, like anything mechanical.....things could break.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
PDKs are robust. Failures are almost non-existant. But, like anything mechanical.....things could break.
That's the irony here. The mechanical part of the PDK does seem robust. What seems less robust are the various electronic components that are part of the transmission. My failure and as far as I remember, every other failure I've read about here and elsewhere have been electronics related one way or the other.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

AGAIN, then WHY it's NOT used in their Cup cars? Go drink your PDK coolaid, it's 100% clear that it's starting to have major failures and issues from 2016 onwards and its just gonna get worse! PDK may even be as robust as you claim but ONE failed temp sensor could render the whole transmission unusable... so there!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's the irony here. The mechanical part of the PDK does seem robust. What seems less robust are the various electronic components that are part of the transmission. My failure and as far as I remember, every other failure I've read about here and elsewhere have been electronics related one way or the other.
What he said!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:51 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way, although the racing is not the same transmission system. Still, at the races the most important thing is to be fast, after that reliability. In contrast, in normal use, the reliability of the gear system is more important.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

AGAIN, then WHY it's NOT used in their Cup cars? Go drink your PDK coolaid, it's 100% clear that it's starting to have major failures and issues from 2016 onwards and its just gonna get worse! PDK may even be as robust as you claim but ONE failed temp sensor could render the whole transmission unusable... so there!

Wow. You really are a simpleton. Your entire argument on PDK reliability is based on it's absence in Cup Cars? It's not in Cup Cars for servicing and gear change accessibility. Nothing to do with robustness or reliability. PDK IS in the Porsche 918, GT3, GT3 RS and GT2 RS... Cup cars have less power and EXTREMELY shorter service intervals than the aforementioned. Isn't it past your bedtime junior
Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

The PDK is far more robust than forum failures reflect. Yes there are some failures, but the overall percentage is very small.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:34 PM
dhtexas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_buch
I don't see how the transmission temperature could be too high after two miles of driving. This clearly points to the sensor in my view.
That's my thought too. Especially as I turned off the engine, waited about one minute and then started it up again and then drove two miles to get back home. If the transmission was really running hot the message should have recurred but it did not.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't want to wade into the debate on PDK reliability, but the stop/turn if off/restart is what the manual suggests you do when the light comes on ...
Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

I remember my dad and other old-timers back in the day yacking about their new Cadilac or whatever...... (hey! I am now their age... I guess.... ooof...)

When one showed off their fancy auto-tuning radio with seek, a very mechanical, motorized feature, or their auto-ride leveling system... you would hear the air pump run to fill some bag in the shocks.... the other would say something like: "What is that going to cost when it breaks?"

Hmmm......

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: PDK warning message