Sponsored by:

PDK warning message

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 PM
dhtexas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK warning message

Hello, like to see if anyone has had a similar experience as what occurred to me today.

Have a 2011 997.2 base Carrera with PDK. Bought it last December from a Jaguar dealer in San Antonio who changed the oil, oil filter and air filter at the time. At time of purchase had 24,000 miles, since then have only put on an additional 2,000 miles. So have not driven it much but it's ran fine when I have taken it out.

Took it to Porsche of Houston North on Monday. Had the annual service which was just the inspection plus oil and oil filter change. Dealer said everything else looked great and nothing else needed to be done.

Took it out this morning which was the first time since I got it home from the dealer five days ago. Everything seemed fine until after driving about two miles I get the following display warning - "transmission temperature too high". At the time I had the PDK in manual shift mode if that makes any difference.

I pulled over and turned the engine off. Waited a couple of minutes. Started the engine back up again. Warning message was cleared. To be safe I drove straight home but did not put in manual mode. No problems on the way home. Seemed to shift normally.

Sorry for being so wordy. Anyone ever experience this?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 PM
dhtexas
Intermediate

Bumping my thread to the top in hopes someone has some thoughts on my warning message.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:47 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by dhtexas
Hello, like to see if anyone has had a similar experience as what occurred to me today.

Have a 2011 997.2 base Carrera with PDK. Bought it last December from a Jaguar dealer in San Antonio who changed the oil, oil filter and air filter at the time. At time of purchase had 24,000 miles, since then have only put on an additional 2,000 miles. So have not driven it much but it's ran fine when I have taken it out.

Took it to Porsche of Houston North on Monday. Had the annual service which was just the inspection plus oil and oil filter change. Dealer said everything else looked great and nothing else needed to be done.

Took it out this morning which was the first time since I got it home from the dealer five days ago. Everything seemed fine until after driving about two miles I get the following display warning - "transmission temperature too high". At the time I had the PDK in manual shift mode if that makes any difference.

I pulled over and turned the engine off. Waited a couple of minutes. Started the engine back up again. Warning message was cleared. To be safe I drove straight home but did not put in manual mode. No problems on the way home. Seemed to shift normally.

Sorry for being so wordy. Anyone ever experience this?

Never heard of that one. Is your car under warranty?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:23 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I would check center radiator for debris/bugs that may be interfering with cooling. The center radiator is the chief cooling method for the PDK transmission.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:09 AM
dhtexas
Intermediate

sandwedge - I have an aftermarket warranty on the car.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

sandwedge - I have an aftermarket warranty on the car.
Keep it current. I had a different warning that kept coming on, cleared when the car was turned off then came on again and the process kept repeating. Finally it wouldn't clear and ended up with a $14,000 replacement.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:01 PM
dhtexas
Intermediate

Thanks sandwedge and PorscheRalph for the good advice.
The following users liked this post:
Jk1981 (08-10-2019)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a PDK temperature sensor (you can search for it and subsequent discussion here in Rennlist - or search under my screen name and you may find the thread where I detail my experience). It is very possible that what you are experiencing is the beginning of the PDK temp sensor going bad. The good news is the temp sensor is a replaceable part but needs to be done by the Porsche shop.

My experience with this (and it is direct with the temp sensor) is you can clear it a few times just as you have done - i.e. pull over and turn the car off and restart it. But eventually it will reach a point when it can no longer be cleared and at that point it must be replaced. No telling how long that may be ... mine was about 1 year between warnings until it had to be replaced. As it is a warning and not yet a fault, there may not be a code stored. Good luck and please keep us informed of your results.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:02 AM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Keep it current. I had a different warning that kept coming on, cleared when the car was turned off then came on again and the process kept repeating. Finally it wouldn't clear and ended up with a $14,000 replacement.
Which warranty did you have (Powertrain, gold, premium)?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jus2626
Which warranty did you have (Powertrain, gold, premium)?
Had the equivalence of a Fidelity Platinum policy through a different carrier. Exclusion policy with a rather short list of items not covered so next to no discussion as to whether or not it was covered.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Had the equivalence of a Fidelity Platinum policy through a different carrier. Exclusion policy with a rather short list of items not covered so next to no discussion as to whether or not it was covered.
What was the name of the carrier? Currently looking to get a warranty on my 911.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jus2626
What was the name of the carrier? Currently looking to get a warranty on my 911.
Cant remember the name of the carrier but it was sold by a local Lexus dealer. Great company whatever it was. Had other claims other than the PDK and no problems or discussions with any of them . Cost about 25% less than the Fidelity Platinum policy I was quoted at that time with near identical coverage and zero deductible. The bad news is that it's no longer available.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:52 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

It's quite interesting that starting 2017, I am seeing more and more PDK issues reported ALL OVER. It sure looks like PDK lifespan is around 7-8yrs or so. Not a great sign! I wonder if PDK was updated in 991 or 991.2, and specially for GT-cars, and if those have less issues or not (won't know for a few years)?!

Generally it looks like the MORE we put electronics into our cars, the lesser the reliability and lifespan, I think 997 would be on of the last Porsches that could last for decades and mended easily, possibly 991... BUT any of the newer cars are so dependent on their electronics, they will be incredibly prone to issue moving forward, specially if Software updates are not provided for cars beyond a certain time.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:06 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
It's quite interesting that starting 2017, I am seeing more and more PDK issues reported ALL OVER. It sure looks like PDK lifespan is around 7-8yrs or so. Not a great sign! I wonder if PDK was updated in 991 or 991.2, and specially for GT-cars, and if those have less issues or not (won't know for a few years)?!

Generally it looks like the MORE we put electronics into our cars, the lesser the reliability and lifespan, I think 997 would be on of the last Porsches that could last for decades and mended easily, possibly 991... BUT any of the newer cars are so dependent on their electronics, they will be incredibly prone to issue moving forward, specially if Software updates are not provided for cars beyond a certain time.

I also think.. An interesting point and I'd love to hear too..
I know too many people that their PDK has failed. Around 80-100 km.
A lot of problems that start with "smoothing" or slow shifting of the gears.
The Solution: replacement of the PDK or, renovation (VERY expensive)
This is worrying because I also think of upgrading to PDK (or 997.2 / 991.1 manual) in the future [Today I'm with TIPTRONIC S 997 (only in manual mode and sports ).]

I know that the gt3 991 PDK is different. Hardware and software.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:23 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

... Everything seemed fine until after driving about two miles I get the following display warning - "transmission temperature too high".
I don't see how the transmission temperature could be too high after two miles of driving. This clearly points to the sensor in my view.

Quick Reply: PDK warning message