Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM switch does nothing - is it supposed to?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PSM switch does nothing - is it supposed to?

Just got my 2006 C4S a little over a month ago. My PSM switch does nothing when I push it - doesn't light up, nothing. Is it supposed to?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it should light up to indicate that some of the electronic nannies have been turned off.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, the lamp should go on. Whether or not it's properly controlling the functions will only show up when you wish you hadn't turned it off, that is, the rear end is trying to catch up with the front.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:55 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You can tell if it's just the light in the switch or if the switch is not working at all by looking just to the right of the speedometer needle hub. If an orange symbol of a skidding car shows up (sort of two S shapes below a car icon) then the switch is working but the light on the switch isn't. If the icon doesn't light up the switch has failed.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:47 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Thanks all. Mine's definitely not working. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I checked the fuses - all good.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

a light should come on in the instrument cluster along with a chime as mentioned above, if this doesn't happen there is something wrong in the circuit - this is an important safety item best not left unaddressed...trip to dealer or indie called for imo
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
a light should come on in the instrument cluster along with a chime
I wish it would. Nothing happens at all. Love that red, btw.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,135 Likes on 3,908 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
a light should come on in the instrument cluster along with a chime as mentioned above, if this doesn't happen there is something wrong in the circuit - this is an important safety item best not left unaddressed...trip to dealer or indie called for imo
The default operation of PSM is on so in its current state, there's not really any safety risk to the OP. Now if the PSM off icon was on all the time or if he had a PSM failure message displayed on the dash, then he might have a safety issue, but as is, it sounds like he just can't defeat it and it's always on.

Here's another test you can do. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. When you reconnect it and then start the car you will get a "PSM failure" message on the info screen in the middle of the tech. Once you drive a few miles, that message should reset itself. If it does, then it looks like there's something wrong with your switch. If the message stays there including the next time you start the car, then you have a problem with the PSM system itself (wheel speed sensors, control module, etc).
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Resurrecting an older thread. Same issue as the OP. My new to me 05 PSM light does not light up, nor do I get the indicator in the cluster. Appears that it is a failed switch. does anyone have a sense on how to replace the switch as a DIY job?
Old 11-10-2017, 08:43 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Nuthin?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:24 AM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by linderpat
Resurrecting an older thread. Same issue as the OP. My new to me 05 PSM light does not light up, nor do I get the indicator in the cluster. Appears that it is a failed switch. does anyone have a sense on how to replace the switch as a DIY job?
Yep it's a pretty simple job. Just need to replace the switch cluster. There are a bunch of how to threads. Look up the HVAC switch replacement, that will show you how to remove the necessary panels etc.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Does the switch feel like it is broken when pressed... unlike the feel of the other buttons? If it doesn't feel broken then it may not be the switch, it could be that the PSE isn't properly coded as being in the system. You would need a dealership or someone with a PIWI's to check and/or set this. I don't know which is cheaper to do first. Maybe a very nice dealer would check the coding on it for you for cheap?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bommerts
Yep it's a pretty simple job. Just need to replace the switch cluster. There are a bunch of how to threads. Look up the HVAC switch replacement, that will show you how to remove the necessary panels etc.
Thank you - I'll search that.

Originally Posted by StormRune
Does the switch feel like it is broken when pressed... unlike the feel of the other buttons? If it doesn't feel broken then it may not be the switch, it could be that the PSE isn't properly coded as being in the system. You would need a dealership or someone with a PIWI's to check and/or set this. I don't know which is cheaper to do first. Maybe a very nice dealer would check the coding on it for you for cheap?
switch does not feel broken. I'll dig deeper into this too.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 AM
bommerts
Instructor

Thank you - I'll search that.

switch does not feel broken. I'll dig deeper into this too.
Thanks guys.
Mine felt normal, too. I think the previous owner spilled coffee on it because when I took the HVAC switches out there were old coffee stains in various places. Nav was acting goofy too so replaced that. You can pick up these components on eBay for a reasonable price and DIY. GL! Post some car pics!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSM switch does nothing - is it supposed to?