Sponsored by:

997.2 Tubi Exhaust- Who's running them

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Are you talking about just replacing the center muffler with SW x-pipes and keep the stock side cans? You'll get some improvement from that but you really need to modify the side cans and get rid of the center muffler on a .2 car to get where you want to be.
Correct, I think my question would then be is it smart to do a SW X pipe and the Gundo/Fister mod, or just go straight for a Tubi, for those that have heard each? As someone that will be using this car only on the weekends and really likes a high quality piece of engineering, I would think I would want to just go for the Tubi, but if I am paying $1500 vs $3500, that is a decent price difference.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:52 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a look back through this thread. I posted the UK supplier that appears to be significantly cheaper than sourcing locally excluding shipping and your local taxes.
Hacking into a perfectly good exhaust didn't sit well with me tbh.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:23 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Hacking in to a perfectly good exhaust is what the gundo is about and probably hundreds of people have done it with no issues. In fact prob best bang for the buck in exhaust mods. Its only welding and isnt high end engineering...

I find the tubi a little higher pitched then my system which i prefer for a deeper sound

At the end of the day its really about what you like and is the tubi $2000 better sounding?
Old 10-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FZP
Have a look back through this thread. I posted the UK supplier that appears to be significantly cheaper than sourcing locally excluding shipping and your local taxes.
Thanks so much, will do. I will look into shipping costs as well.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Hacking in to a perfectly good exhaust is what the gundo is about and probably hundreds of people have done it with no issues. In fact prob best bang for the buck in exhaust mods. Its only welding and isnt high end engineering...

I find the tubi a little higher pitched then my system which i prefer for a deeper sound

At the end of the day its really about what you like and is the tubi $2000 better sounding?
Thanks so much, appreciate the input. Probably will end up going with the Tubi, and then saving the stock exhaust. That way I can always put it back on when I sold the car.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by FZP
If you don't like the hacking path, another option would be to try to get your hands on a used set of OEM PSE side cans and then add the x-pipes. That's the combo I have on the current GTS and I actually like it better than the Tubi I had on the -09 C4S. May not be a perfect comparison since the GTS has the X-51 headers but the consensus seems to be that the Tubi has a bit of a higher pitched note than the PSE/SW setup.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Delete....duplicate
Old 10-29-2017, 04:50 AM
FZP
Instructor

Delete....duplicate
If you don't like the hacking path, another option would be to try to get your hands on a used set of OEM PSE side cans and then add the x-pipes. That's the combo I have on the current GTS and I actually like it better than the Tubi I had on the -09 C4S. May not be a perfect comparison since the GTS has the X-51 headers but the consensus seems to be that the Tubi has a bit of a higher pitched note than the PSE/SW setup.
Before I bought the Tubi system I was on the hunt for PSE cans as I wanted to have the OEM feel. I'd been searching for months through wreckers and eBay but they just don't seem to come up that often. What I have purchased worked out $150 more than purchasing a cross over pipe and doing the Gundo Hack. I'm super excited to get these installed. I went to do it yesterday but the jack is purchased was too tall to get under the car. I'm going this morning to purchase a low profile one to give it another try this afternoon.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:05 PM
FZP
Instructor

Sods law. On the return from acquiring new jacks and stands, the engine light came on in the wife's car. In 23 years of car ownership this has never happened to me before, so somewhat annoyed. Projected postponed, wife takes the 911 to school and I've got a date with Audi tomorrow.

On a positive note, the side cans have polished back to mirror finish, but struggling with the cross over pipes. I've tried wire wheel, then wet sanding with various papers, then finally metal polish MOP. As I'm not getting any further along I think I'll be handing it to the pros to do for the final finish. That way it will look brand new with all new stainless steel bolts from the cat back.
If I put it on now in this state it will only be a source of annoyance, even though I'm hanging to get them installed.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:30 PM
FZP
Instructor

I collected the freshly polished exhaust from the polishers. It was a bit of a trek, but the guys did exactly what I needed and the system looks brand new. Very happy with the end result.

Work has begun on the swap over if the exhaust. You can read all you want and watch every youtube you like, but those rusted bolts are one great S.O.B's. None of mine broke which would have been a blessing.
I used heat,WD40, angle grinder, reciprocating saw and a dremel to get the old bolts off. The only thing I had to buy was the dremel, all the rest I had.

The bolts on the exhaust clamps were a pain so I removed the whole system as one item with the help of Mrs P.

I've managed to mount the two side cans which was satisfying. All I need to do is remove the exhaust clamps off the old system and I can mount the cross over pipe.

Here are a couple of pics during progress. Looking forward to getting it back together and hearing it.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 PM
FZP
Instructor

Well I've done the install and has first drive. Finally sounds like a 911 with intent. I was surprised by how loud it is on cold start up. Once it warms up it's great. It's a fair old job as a sit though. I'm broken!
Look forward to more drives!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:59 AM
FZP
Instructor

So it's been a whole since I've had the Tubi on so that id jump back on and update on the experience.

Cold Start Up - If you use it as a daily driver and get up at 5am, you probably won't win any favour with your immediate neighbours. It's very loud for the first 20 seconds or so until the cats warm up. After that it's fine.

Warm Start Up - Its got a lovely bark on start up and then it almost factory quiet from inside the car. Throttle blips on on clutch release also gives a nice bark.

Sensible Driving - Driving through urban areas is no issue as I can modulate the noise by gear selection so it's civilised. No excessive noise above factory system. No droning on normal cruising. Interestingly, you can now hear and feel more in the back rest, what I can only assume is the second set of cams coming into play at about 2800rpm. The slightest increase in exhaust note and a shove in the back.

Spirited Driving - This is where you have to be selective of location as at full tilt it's race car loud. It's obnoxiously loud if used in the wrong setting. Out in rural areas or on a freeway is the best place to get up it. I have some tunnels near where I live and full tilt through there it's something else. The noise is intoxicating. My fuel consumption seems to have increases over the past few weeks..😎

Performance Increase - They suggest an increase of ~20bhp. I would challenge most people that they could feel 5% increase, but there is a subtle difference in the way it pulls through the rev range. I'd love to see a dyno sheet showing std vs tubi difference.

After searching for almost a year for a set of 2nd hand Factory PSE cans, produced zero results. Then this system came up on eBay and I jumped in, boots and all. It's a great system that produces the right noise and I'm glad I did it. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves a race-like sound. So if you're thinking of doing....get it done
The following users liked this post:
fireman_007 (05-22-2020)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Miki997.2
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Question I'm getting a new tubi installed next week and I was curious to know if there is a market for the OEM or just keep it on the side.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:46 PM
FZP
Instructor

Keep It On The Side, if you decide to sell the car in the future you can return to factory and punt off the tubi on ebay
Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Miki997.2
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FZP
Keep It On The Side, if you decide to sell the car in the future you can return to factory and punt off the tubi on ebay
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Tubi Exhaust- Who's running them