Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Bisk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am awaiting delivery of my LA Power Kit (with CDC version) and probably have too many options as I have the PCM 2.1 CDC in the front, Bose, Sat Nav and Phone Module on an 07 Plate Boxster 987S
I have been following this thread with great interest, and wondered what would give me the least complicated install route, and without having to make a trip to the dealer?
I like the idea of locating the unit under the front seat and using the MOST connectors and power from the Phone Module.
I can't at this stage figure out if this would work, if I need to bypass any other elements on the MOST ring, and would the Bose still work etc.

I'd welcome a steer on it.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bisk
Hi everyone, I am awaiting delivery of my LA Power Kit (with CDC version) and probably have too many options as I have the PCM 2.1 CDC in the front, Bose, Sat Nav and Phone Module on an 07 Plate Boxster 987S
I have been following this thread with great interest, and wondered what would give me the least complicated install route, and without having to make a trip to the dealer?
I like the idea of locating the unit under the front seat and using the MOST connectors and power from the Phone Module.
I can't at this stage figure out if this would work, if I need to bypass any other elements on the MOST ring, and would the Bose still work etc.

Thanks
See my post #254 on this thread. Shortest install with great results. If you don’t like it, you can later go into the cabin and do the disassembly needed, install and reassemble​​​​​.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Bisk
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gbakerge

See my post #254 on this thread. Shortest install with great results. If you don’t like it, you can later go into the cabin and do the disassembly needed, install and reassemble​​​​​.
Thanks, that would do it, but I also still wonder if I just do away with the phone module and plug in the LA POWER to the MOST connector and power it what would happen, such as would the CDC still interfere and need a bypass?
It looks like I will try my way and see what happens, as I would ideally like a wired mic to save on battery issues with a wireless one.
I think this is a combination not seen before on this forum thread
Old 12-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
I would do this...
1. Remove or just disconnect the CD Changer and loop the MOST ring through using the splice connector provided with the new kit. The LaPower unit emulates the CDC so the programming for this device does not change.
2. Remove the factory phone module from under the seat and install the LaPower BT unit in that location. The power wiring and MOST loop are right there. You will need to identify the power wires in the harness with a voltage tester or the wiring diagram in the Service Manual. I had to get some slack in the fiber optic cable by unwrapping it from the bundle a few inches back. You can run the mic cable under the carpet over to the door sill, then under the door sill, then tucked behind the carpet top edge to the dash. You will have to unbolt the seat and tilt it back or remove it to get access. The LaPower unit will need to be mounted under the access plate where the phone module was in order to clear the seat frame. If you mount it on top of the plate the seat will hit it. The MOST ring is polar so make sure you get the in-out correct.
3. Once installed everything should work but you will get a "no phone module found" error. Have the dealer turn off the factory phone module option in the PCM and your are done.

I like this method because it essentially puts the new BT phone module back where the factory phone module was, which to me seems as OEM as possible. The hardest part about this mounting location is access under the seat. I unbolted and tilted my seat back, but to do it again I would remove the seat from the car. You also need some way to mount the LaPower unit under the floor plate where the phone module was. I made a bracket but you could also just Velcro it to the floor (under the access plate). You could also chose to mount the LaPower unit where the CD changer is, or any other location you like as long as you can access power and the MOST ring. If you don't mount the LaPower unit in the location of the old phone module, make sure you splice through the MOST ring at that location also. Lastly, whatever you do you have to disconnect the factory phone module and CDC, or the LaPower will not work correctly.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 AM
Bisk
5th Gear

Thanks Jeffblak for the fast and detailed response, I also like the idea of keeping the location as near as factory intended as possible, looks like my post Christmas project.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks
At this point, I would just unplug the CD changer and plug in the LaPower unit instead. Power should be available from the CD changer plug as well.
The wireless microphone should do the hands free job.

This should take ~15- 20 min install including success beer while testing of course.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:33 PM
jayreyes
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Zettinger
No problem with charging but I had an issue yesterday.

I started the car and the unit didn't power up correctly, causing the PCM to say no Amplifier/CD changer detected.
Turned the car back off and 10 seconds back on and all was good.

I went this weekend on a trip and the unit worked great, except the first morning start mentioned above, the whole time.
Sound quality is great and phone charging worked like a charm.
Every other day I get this System Error: Amplifier not found / No CD changer detected.

I have to restart car to get the PCM to detect the unit and sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not work.

I see some people have had this problem. Was anybody able to correct this problem?

Connected via wire tap connection for power from PCM and uses fiber optic splice connector.

I'm trying to figure out if it is a power issue or a fibre optic issue.

I notice newer kits come with the three plug MOST fibre optic connector.

Last edited by jayreyes; 12-23-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:12 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Originally Posted by jayreyes
Every other day I get this System Error: Amplifier not found / No CD changer detected.

I have to restart car to get the PCM to detect the unit and sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not work.

I see some people have had this problem. Was anybody able to correct this problem?

Connected via wire tap connection for power from PCM and uses fiber optic splice connector.

I'm trying to figure out if it is a power issue or a fibre optic issue.

I notice newer kits come with the three plug MOST fibre optic connector.
Two things come to mind:

1. Is the power to the BT unit constant hot or on the accessory switch? The LaPower unit goes to sleep when the MOST ring is inactive, and powers itself back up when it sees activity on the MOST ring. I'm guessing, but it seems like the PCM is polling the MOST ring before the units is fully active. I would think the LaPower unit probably works best if power is maintained to the unit so the wake up time is shorter. I would check to see if the power wire you spliced in to is still hot when the ignition is off.

2. The instructions say to install the LaPower unit as the last device in the MOST ring (just before the ring returns to the PCM). I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but the Electrical Systems Manual for the 997 shows the device order as PCM Out -Amplifier - CD Changer - Navigation Module - Phone Module - PCM In. This is one reason I selected the Phone Module location to install the LaPower unit.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Bisk
5th Gear

Default 987 UK Install Complete

Just an update to my install with the instructions provided by Jeffblat below and a couple of small deviations, and all working well.

You will be amused to learn that I unbolted the passenger seat to not be able to find the phone module, and then realised that of course it would be under my drivers seat, as we drive on the (correct) side of the road so any UK/Jap spec cars, think offside seat rather than passenger one ) of course!!

The La Power/Mr 12 Volt plugs directly into the MOST cable where your phone module was located.

I removed the phone module from its base plate housing fixing and then 3M velcroed the Mr 12 Volt to it so that it could have the same location (inside the housing not on top or your seat will hit it) making sure the connectors for auxiliary devices were accessible when the plate was replaced in position under the seat

The microphone I located on the steering column above the wiper blade stalk and ran the cable in a dash groove horizontally before tracing down trim of the door, along the door sill and under the carpet at the rear of the seat. There was more than enough cable to take the longest route, so I was happy there.

I used the red power cable connection of the LA Power or also known as Mr 12 volt, on the green and brown wire of the old wire loom for the phone module and grounded the black wire to an earth terminal which was also under the phone module on the chassis. This green and brown is live all the time, and this is what you need.

I found it easier to drop the roof of the Boxster and unbolt the whole seat as there is enough slack on the loom to place it on the floor without disconnecting it from the loom if you are careful, and of course it can cause errors if you disconnect it, so don't.

No error codes on the PCM when all hooked up, so no visit to the dealer. Glad to say it's working well, the microphone location seems good for being heard and not as obvious or noticeable as the above the instument cluster to my eyes.

Added bonus is the in dash CD still works, so although losing the CDC 6 disc player may scare some, you still can use your old CDs one at a time.

I know this is the wrong forum for 987's, but thanks for all of your expertise in the 997 forum that made this install possible.

Regards Nick

Originally Posted by Jeffblak
I would do this...
1. Remove or just disconnect the CD Changer and loop the MOST ring through using the splice connector provided with the new kit. The LaPower unit emulates the CDC so the programming for this device does not change.
2. Remove the factory phone module from under the seat and install the LaPower BT unit in that location. The power wiring and MOST loop are right there. You will need to identify the power wires in the harness with a voltage tester or the wiring diagram in the Service Manual. I had to get some slack in the fiber optic cable by unwrapping it from the bundle a few inches back. You can run the mic cable under the carpet over to the door sill, then under the door sill, then tucked behind the carpet top edge to the dash. You will have to unbolt the seat and tilt it back or remove it to get access. The LaPower unit will need to be mounted under the access plate where the phone module was in order to clear the seat frame. If you mount it on top of the plate the seat will hit it. The MOST ring is polar so make sure you get the in-out correct.
3. Once installed everything should work but you will get a "no phone module found" error. Have the dealer turn off the factory phone module option in the PCM and your are done.

I like this method because it essentially puts the new BT phone module back where the factory phone module was, which to me seems as OEM as possible. The hardest part about this mounting location is access under the seat. I unbolted and tilted my seat back, but to do it again I would remove the seat from the car. You also need some way to mount the LaPower unit under the floor plate where the phone module was. I made a bracket but you could also just Velcro it to the floor (under the access plate). You could also chose to mount the LaPower unit where the CD changer is, or any other location you like as long as you can access power and the MOST ring. If you don't mount the LaPower unit in the location of the old phone module, make sure you splice through the MOST ring at that location also. Lastly, whatever you do you have to disconnect the factory phone module and CDC, or the LaPower will not work correctly.

Last edited by Bisk; 12-25-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: talking nonsense in one part
Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

@Bisk That's good news. Never even thought about the left/right driver seat location but it makes sense Porsche would have just one phone module wiring harness for both. Not sure if "correct" accurately describes driving on the left side of the road, unless you are passing of course.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Can I enable my cars CD changer loop cable with my Durametric basic cable or my Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner? My car does not have a CD changer. My LaPower will be in on Monday.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Can I enable my cars CD changer loop cable with my Durametric basic cable or my Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner? My car does not have a CD changer. My LaPower will be in on Monday.
I think it requires the dealer programmer, but it might not need to be done. My car did not have the CD changer and it worked without any program changes. I realized later that my car had option “I689-prep for CD changer”. Not sure if that’s why it worked but it seems like it might be.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Help!!! I have an 05 C2S without the CD changer. My installer stopped the install because of it. Please share facts so I can pass them along so I can start enjoying like everybody else. I tried to tell him however I was not able to give him a clear direction so he could complete. Please help!!!!

thanks,
b
Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Help!!! I have an 05 C2S without the CD changer. My installer stopped the install because of it. Please share facts so I can pass them along so I can start enjoying like everybody else. I tried to tell him however I was not able to give him a clear direction so he could complete. Please help!!!!

thanks,
b
It's my understanding the CD changer has to be enabled finish the install and find a Durametric pro cable or try your Foxwell cable. Its under Gateway. Dealer should do for .5 hours of labor like a key program.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Do you have any of the options that require the MOST (fiber optic) loop : Bose amp, phone module or navigation module?

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?