Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:12 PM
aelgen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and new Porsche owner. I realize I'm in the wrong part of the forum since my car is a Cayman S (2008), however this is the biggest thread about this unit so figured I would post here anyway. I hope that is alright.
Anyway, my car has the PCM 2.1 base (non-Bose) system , from what I've been able to deduce, with navigation and phone but no CD changer. Has anyone managed to get the device working on a non-Bose system? Surely the MOST ring is active even on a non-Bose system when I have nav and phone?
I installed a similar device in my previous Audi R8, but there I had a working CD-changer that I could just unplug and replace with the BT device.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:30 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Some have reported it working out of the box or the CD changer option will need to be enabled.
Compatible Porsche Models

911 (996 MK2/997) 2003 - 2011
Boxster 2003 - 2010
Cayman 2003 - 2010
Cayenne 2003 - 2010

Compatible Head Units
PCM 2.0
PCM 2.1
CDR 23
CDR 24
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM
aelgen
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jayi836
Compatible Porsche Models
911 (996 MK2/997) 2003 - 2011
Boxster 2003 - 2010
Cayman 2003 - 2010
Cayenne 2003 - 2010

Compatible Head Units
PCM 2.0
PCM 2.1
CDR 23
CDR 24
Thanks, I've seen that list. However from looking at the posts in this thread the majority of people who've been having trouble have had the non-Bose stereo. So I'm just looking to see if someone with a non-Bose stereo have actually managed to get it working properly?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 AM
v6matt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aelgen
Thanks, I've seen that list. However from looking at the posts in this thread the majority of people who've been having trouble have had the non-Bose stereo. So I'm just looking to see if someone with a non-Bose stereo have actually managed to get it working properly?
Double update: The answer = yes myself and I think others before me.

For those following my woes, I found out I made a fundamental error....I didn't turn the ignition on! I thought the box would power on in the same way as the PCM but seemingly it doesn't. My power is drawn from the PCM fuse piggy back solution.

I am just heading out to get some cable ties or velcro to secure it, then it can go back together. Hurrah.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM
aelgen
5th Gear

Originally Posted by v6matt
Double update: The answer = yes myself and I think others before me.

For those following my woes, I found out I made a fundamental error....I didn't turn the ignition on! I thought the box would power on in the same way as the PCM but seemingly it doesn't. My power is drawn from the PCM fuse piggy back solution.

I am just heading out to get some cable ties or velcro to secure it, then it can go back together. Hurrah.
Awesome, thanks!
Glad to hear yours is working !
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

So my install was for a 2008 last of the Gen 1's with Telephone/Nav/PCM 2.1, but no BOSE and no CD changer

My build may be slightly differently to others as I....

1) Used the fuse jump lead, keeping the 10amp for the PCM and a 5amp for the Bluetooth module. I will be buying some extra wire as currently I have it running from the fuse under the carpet and into the unit....simply because the cable is only just long enough for that.
2) Used the latest MR12VOLT kit with different leads, the tip here is that the longest training connector on the most lead is the one that goes to the bluetooth module
3) The latest kit comes with a LOOP connector to block off either the CD changer or the Telephone, mine works perfectly on the telephone module. I still get that quick message pop up saying telephone module not available but that is it
4) The PCM spat its dummy out after the loop connector went in, but I simply turned the car off, pulled the fuse and reinserted (which also took power from the bluetooth module) and it popped up with my phones name. Hurrah.
5) Placement, the new MOST cable is very long. Given these shouldnt be bent too far I wasn't happy putting it directly behind the PCM. It felt happier to me in the gap below that and I cable tied it to some wires. If it rattles I will wrap it in something.
6) Oh and the earth, there is a screw with a washer just above that first fluffy panel you pull off, I screwed it into that. Again I like proper jobs, so will be buying a ring terminal and fitting it properly.

Personally I found this very faffy/frustrating with the most cable limiting access/placement, the tight crevices e.t.c but hey ...it is all worth it !
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (07-28-2020)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:42 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice work Matt! thanks for sharing your install.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayi836
Nice work Matt! thanks for sharing your install.
No problem,

In hindsight for those with RHD cars with the telephone module it would probably be much easier to

1) Disconnect the MOST lead from the telephone and plug straight into the bluetooth module
2) Then run the power from the fuse jump lead
3) Then connect the ground cable to one of the seat bolts.

Considerably easier than doing all that for the phone then pulling apart the PCM and associated trim. The microphone cable is also really long, so I bet that would reach also. Easy to check by just laying the path it will take to the steering wheel cowl.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:09 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

No problem,

In hindsight for those with RHD cars with the telephone module it would probably be much easier to

1) Disconnect the MOST lead from the telephone and plug straight into the bluetooth module
2) Then run the power from the fuse jump lead
3) Then connect the ground cable to one of the seat bolts.

Considerably easier than doing all that for the phone then pulling apart the PCM and associated trim. The microphone cable is also really long, so I bet that would reach also. Easy to check by just laying the path it will take to the steering wheel cowl.
Nice work on the install.

Ive installed a MoBridge tapping on the PCM and installed a V1 radar tapping on the fuse below on my first 997.

With this LABT, why do a fuse install when you can tap the power and ground behind the PCM? Just curious why you choose this route.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:23 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Nice work on the install.

Ive installed a MoBridge tapping on the PCM and installed a V1 radar tapping on the fuse below on my first 997.

With this LABT, why do a fuse install when you can tap the power and ground behind the PCM? Just curious why you choose this route.
I just like leaving the original cables untouched, also the taps are rarely perfect and I remember wiring up rear parking sensors to my sister Alfa Mito ...basically the taps provided a temperamental connection and I vowed never to use them again!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I just like leaving the original cables untouched, also the taps are rarely perfect and I remember wiring up rear parking sensors to my sister Alfa Mito ...basically the taps provided a temperamental connection and I vowed never to use them again!
I see. I remember there is a small screw beside the fuse box that I used for the ground on my V1. Both ways maybe an option.
Honestly, I did not use a tap but I skinned the wire then attached the wires for thesame reason that taps are temperamental sometimes.

Ill probably do this Mod next month.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:37 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
I see. I remember there is a small screw beside the fuse box that I used for the ground on my V1. Both ways maybe an option.
Honestly, I did not use a tap but I skinned the wire then attached the wires for thesame reason that taps are temperamental sometimes.

Ill probably do this Mod next month.
There are screws holding the fuse box on, I just didnt want it to be visible or trailing where possible. So I found one just above/behind that little carpeted trim you pull off to access the PCM. That will be getting a fresh ring connector to be more durable/professional.

Semi tempted to remove and refit by the telephone module under the drivers seat (RHD) but I bet that will cause some new unknown issue I havent thought of.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:27 PM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my unit on Friday evening, installed Saturday afternoon w/o a hitch...mostly. I can get music(in a very hacky way), but no phone. PCM still wants to connect to Tooki. "Tooki searching..." where my phone's name should be, zero bars. Music plays if I restart the PCM but will not otherwise. This means that every time I get in the car I'd have to reset the PCM in order to hear anything. My hunch is that the MR12 volt/lapower and Tooki Units are competing for the PCM's attention. Once music comes through it has that whine some folks are talking about and seem solvable.

I'm hunting down the Tooki unit and the only evidence I found of the system is in my center console, there's an old 30pin ipod connector that runs on top of the tunnel and goes below the carpet with all the other wiring. I'm in the process of locating the unit, I've removed the plastics in the frunk, learned I have an XM radio unit, I then removed the glovebox, nothing there either. It's also not behind the PCM by the panel on the passenger footwell where the 12volt supply is. Next step is to remove the console and see if it reveals where everything goes.

Are there standard places the NAV TV Tooki units are installed? Would be under the center console? or even the storage slot below the hvac?

Tearing through my interior panels has at least been educational. I may even paint my center console while it's out.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On cars that had the phone module, it’s located under the passenger seat. There is a floor plate that the phone module mounts under. Since the MOST ring and power are both available at that location maybe the phone module was removed and the Nav TV unit was installed there? That’s where I put my LaPower unit.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:03 PM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffblak
On cars that had the phone module, it’s located under the passenger seat. There is a floor plate that the phone module mounts under. Since the MOST ring and power are both available at that location maybe the phone module was removed and the Nav TV unit was installed there? That’s where I put my LaPower unit.
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?