Sponsored by:

997.2 C2 Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:43 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus2626
Also, does this Carfax raise any red flags?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AA29989S706097
I don't see any indication of pdk service and serpentine belt which are both overdue, 6 years or 60k miles. The pdk service may be a biggie if ever trying to get the pdk covered by an aftermarket warranty.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:55 AM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I don't see any indication of pdk service and serpentine belt which are both overdue, 6 years or 60k miles. The pdk service may be a biggie if ever trying to get the pdk covered by an aftermarket warranty.
The entry that says engine was removed is not something I should be worried about?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:09 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

The entry that says engine was removed is not something I should be worried about?
Call the dealership that performed the service and they will tell you what they did. Ask them questions if need to or are unsure.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doug H
Call the dealership that performed the service and they will tell you what they did. Ask them questions if need to or are unsure.
I gave them a call but they said they weren't able to give me any information unless the owner who took the car in approves. The individual who helped said it's common for the engine to come out for certain repairs. The CarFax also shows that spark plugs were changed, there was an engine compression check, and flywheel was replaced. I just don't know if this is something that should raise a red flag.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Is there any reason to go with Easycare's Power are (Powertrain) warranty over the Fidelity Powertrain warranty? My local dealer is trying to sell me the easycare warranty for 4.3k while I can get Fidelity from a 3rd party for 3k. Any reasons to pay the extra 1.3k? I was thinking I would be able to have the dealer help deal with the insurance company if I get from them since they said EVERYTHING related to the engine and transmission would be covered under the easycare warranty. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,023 Likes on 727 Posts

Is there any reason to go with Easycare's Power are (Powertrain) warranty over the Fidelity Powertrain warranty? My local dealer is trying to sell me the easycare warranty for 4.3k while I can get Fidelity from a 3rd party for 3k. Any reasons to pay the extra 1.3k? I was thinking I would be able to have the dealer help deal with the insurance company if I get from them since they said EVERYTHING related to the engine and transmission would be covered under the easycare warranty. Let me know what you guys think.
I have yet to see an extended warranty policy - exclusionary or non-exclusionary - where the word EVERYTHING appeared anywhere related to coverage. Take a good look before jumping in.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 AM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know whether the Fidelity Powertrain warranty covers the PDK transmission? If so, would you advise getting that for $3k (5yrs./60k miles)? I just feel like 9k is a hard pill to swallow if it's not needed. Realistically I'm going to put 12-15k miles a year on it and keep it for around 5 years. It already has 53k.
Did you get any info if Powertrain warranty covers PDK issues?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heatz
Did you get any info if Powertrain warranty covers PDK issues?
I gave them a call and they said all internal parts of the PDK transmission are covered (e.g., gears, clutches, etc.). However, the module that controls the transmission, the transmission mounts, and flywheel are not covered.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,023 Likes on 727 Posts

I gave them a call and they said all internal parts of the PDK transmission are covered (e.g., gears, clutches, etc.). However, the module that controls the transmission, the transmission mounts, and flywheel are not covered.
"The module that controls the transmission'? This sounds like it could cover a lot of territory. I say this since the PDK on my -09 C4S failed and had to be replaced. The codes the dealer managed to pull indicated "some kind of software problem rather than mechanical". I bet good money my replacement wouldn't have been covered with this "module" exclusion.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sandwedge
"The module that controls the transmission'? This sounds like it could cover a lot of territory. I say this since the PDK on my -09 C4S failed and had to be replaced. The codes the dealer managed to pull indicated "some kind of software problem rather than mechanical". I bet good money my replacement wouldn't have been covered with this "module" exclusion.
Anyone else have thoughts on this? I was looking at the easy care Powercare (Powertrain) warranty (which my Porsche dealer offers - 1.3k more than Fidelity) and that also seems to have the same transmission coverage. The main differences I see between easy care and Fidelity is that easycare also covers the flywheel, transmission mounts, and transmission oil pan, while Fidelity doesn't. However, Fidelity covers fuel pumps and easycare does not. I just don't know which protects best against issues faced most on this car. My car had the flywheel replaced at around 25k so it would be nice to have that added protection on that part, but I also hear that these cars have issues with the fuel pump. I'm torn.

Quick Reply: 997.2 C2 Extended Warranty Question