Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:29 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jll1011
Can someone explain the reason for the price range on MOST HUR devices? I am seeing a range from $99 (ebay device used by bhvrdr) up to $600. Should I expect a quality difference or will these boxes all work similarly?
Also, can I really do this myself? A bit concerned about the wiring piece and getting the hot wire to the fuse box.

Jack

The bottom end would be the Seicane - 70-129 - depending on where you find it. Simple install - Keeps Bose - you lose the CanBus
Next is the Axxess (can find it at Crutchfield) - 300-400 range - can keep CanBus - loses fader
Next is NavTV - as high as $650 - Same as the Axxess - but was first - so most people are familiar with it -

I went with the Seicane - I have an 06 C2S - works fine - I just don't get the radio read out on the Spedo cluster - (not worth 200-400 more to get that and STILL lose the fader).
Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jll1011
Also, can I really do this myself? A bit concerned about the wiring piece and getting the hot wire to the fuse box.
Jack
Hi Jack,

actually if you read my summary, you don't have to hot wire the fuse box, there's is switched ACC much closer in the center console
But honestly I don't know how much of a DIY person you are. If you buy the pre-wired harness it should be easy, if you want to make your own harness (as I did) it gets a little dicier
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Skidly
AutoX

Did anyone have a recommendaton for a MOST adaptor for a HUR that will also interface with the 997.1's steering wheel controls at a good price.

So far these this is the best option I have seen, although the kit looks fairly expensive....

I think both of the following may be the same part.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/P...tem/CTSPO005.2

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120PO9...Interface.html

Last edited by Skidly; 07-16-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts
Red face

Let me save you folks a lot of time and frustration..

As far as I've searched around and spoken to Tech Support reps from various companies.. there are only 3 options to retain steering wheel controls on a 997:

1. NavTV MOST HUR => this module apparently retains steering wheel controls for some head units only (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine I think.. but need to confirm).
Also, I don't know what buttons it retains but their Tech Support is pretty responsive. You know the price already.. pretty pricey This whole thread is about not using the NavTV box
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.html

2. Paser Unican Plus or Unico Dual => this module is the steering wheel interface box only. You'll need to source the MOST box elsewhere. I'm not sure if they make a MOST box themselves.
This module doesn't cover all functions as well = only volume and track skip will work. Their Tech Support is a bit slow, but they do respond with clear answers.
The steering wheel module alone runs $200 or so in the US. You might get them slightly cheaper from Italy directly.
https://automotive.paser.it/en-gb/St...81c62c342.html

3. Connects2 CTSPO005.2 => this is a full kit (MOST box + steering wheel module) and will retail all the controls. I ordered from eBay (dynamic sounds). You can order from their site as well.
The modules ship from the UK. I'll get mine this week and will report back on the results - this is my only ray of hope!
The kit runs $250 or so from various sources (eBay, vendor sites from the UK), just need to ensure that the vendor has it in stock and not back-ordered.
http://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSPO005.2

Axxess sucks big time. Their Tech Support is unresponsive and mislead you without any qualms The manual for the Axxess module happily even lists the wires to connect for 997 and 987!
I also spoke to the Tech Support from Scosche (regarding the Scosche PE02SR). Their staff were quite helpful and knowledgeable and they confirmed that their kit (MOST box + steering module) will not work for the 997.

Connects2 is the manufacturer for Axxess and Scosche modules (at least the 997 ones) and they confirmed what works and what doesn't work with the Axxess box. Connects2's support redirected me to an Axxess sales guy quite a while ago who is yet to respond to my ask for a price quote and shipping timeline! Complete waste of time.

Basically, the issue with all of these non-compatible modules is due to the click-wheels we have for volume and seek. Apparently it takes a bit more hardware and software to interface with these than plain buttons. The Cayenne has only buttons, so all of these modules work with it.. sadly 997 (and Audis) as well have click-wheels.

If the Connects2 module works, then I'll have my Seicane MOST box up for sale (and the stupid Axxess module, for non-997 folks obviously). Fingers crossed...

Thanks
Shyam
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

OK, back to my antenna problem. I hope that someone has an idea, but it's probably one of those electrical gremlins that we all hate so much....
If you read a bit above, it took me a while to figure out that the white wire from the Porsche harness needs to be powered to get juice to the antenna amp.
So I connected the white/blue wire from the radio to the white wire in the Porsche harness and all is good.
yeah, kind-a, here is when it gets weird:
If either the engine is running or I have the ignition key turned all the way so that all lamps on the dashboard are lit, I have radio reception, albeit pretty lousy
If I now turn the key to the left to the position where the engine is not running and I have no lights on the dashboard but still power to the radio, the radio reception is great

ideas?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Skidly
AutoX

Shyam really look forward to hearing how the Connect2 works for you.
Here is the steering wheel functionality from their installation instructions.

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Let me save you folks a lot of time and frustration..

As far as I've searched around and spoken to Tech Support reps from various companies.. there are only 3 options to retain steering wheel controls on a 997:

1. NavTV MOST HUR => this module apparently retains steering wheel controls for some head units only (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine I think.. but need to confirm).
Also, I don't know what buttons it retains but their Tech Support is pretty responsive. You know the price already.. pretty pricey This whole thread is about not using the NavTV box
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.html

2. Paser Unican Plus or Unico Dual => this module is the steering wheel interface box only. You'll need to source the MOST box elsewhere. I'm not sure if they make a MOST box themselves.
This module doesn't cover all functions as well = only volume and track skip will work. Their Tech Support is a bit slow, but they do respond with clear answers.
The steering wheel module alone runs $200 or so in the US. You might get them slightly cheaper from Italy directly.
https://automotive.paser.it/en-gb/St...81c62c342.html

3. Connects2 CTSPO005.2 => this is a full kit (MOST box + steering wheel module) and will retail all the controls. I ordered from eBay (dynamic sounds). You can order from their site as well.
The modules ship from the UK. I'll get mine this week and will report back on the results - this is my only ray of hope!
The kit runs $250 or so from various sources (eBay, vendor sites from the UK), just need to ensure that the vendor has it in stock and not back-ordered.
http://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSPO005.2

Axxess sucks big time. Their Tech Support is unresponsive and mislead you without any qualms The manual for the Axxess module happily even lists the wires to connect for 997 and 987!
I also spoke to the Tech Support from Scosche (regarding the Scosche PE02SR). Their staff were quite helpful and knowledgeable and they confirmed that their kit (MOST box + steering module) will not work for the 997.

Connects2 is the manufacturer for Axxess and Scosche modules (at least the 997 ones) and they confirmed what works and what doesn't work with the Axxess box. Connects2's support redirected me to an Axxess sales guy quite a while ago who is yet to respond to my ask for a price quote and shipping timeline! Complete waste of time.

Basically, the issue with all of these non-compatible modules is due to the click-wheels we have for volume and seek. Apparently it takes a bit more hardware and software to interface with these than plain buttons. The Cayenne has only buttons, so all of these modules work with it.. sadly 997 (and Audis) as well have click-wheels.

If the Connects2 module works, then I'll have my Seicane MOST box up for sale (and the stupid Axxess module, for non-997 folks obviously). Fingers crossed...

Thanks
Shyam

Last edited by Skidly; 07-17-2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added image
Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 AM
Allcarlover
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Hello All,

I recently purchased my 2007 997S and one little annoyance has been the 1990s style head unit that it came equipped with. That said, I did like the sound from the Bose speakers and amp.

After looking at the laughable prices some of the vendors were charging for doing a MOST HUR ... a head unit replacement while retaining factory Bose amplifier and speakers... I decided to see what other options were out there.

First I selected a head unit that had to meet my criteria. This is up to individual preference so feel free to skip to the next step. For me I wanted a HU that...

1. Play DVDs because I still have some that I like
2. Play SD cards because I am an android guy and I have a ton of movies and songs on SD cards that I also like copying from disk to disk in different cars I have.
3. Bluetooth phone integration
4. Must have a ****! Lol I hate pushing buttons for volume control.

As you can see I really wasnt picky in what I need. As I was browsing Crutchfield I came about the Blaupunkt San Jose 120 for the oddly low price of $129.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_423SAN...g&awug=9012005

Its odd because I had been shopping in the $400 range for Pioneer and Kenwood units but they actually didnt play SD cards or USB sticks. So I took the plunge on it. You may have other particular interests such as having a HU that gives you CarPlay or AndroidAuto or built in navigation. Crutchfield is a great resource for browsing headunits.

Next I needed a MOST HUR device to grab the optical digital signal from the Bose amplifier. This is the important part. This is what allows you to retain the factory BOSE amplifier and speakers. I was pleased with the sound of the BOSE stereo and I am absolutely certain I do not want a shop hacking into the factory wiring, door panels, etc on such a nice vehicle.

The only MOST HUR devices I had read about though were several hundred dollars and this was just not acceptable to me. So a search on ebay revealed units in the $70 - $99 range. The device I purchased was found on ebay for $79....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-radio-St...72.m2749.l2649

Now all that was needed was a basic install kit for a double DIN head unit. This again was something I had seen advertised for a couple hundred dollars from some retailers. I ended up going with a $20 Metra one. I got mine from Crutchfield for 20 bucks and I see they are available separately from Best Buy for around $30...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-d...SABEgLodvD_BwE

I also splurged and paid Crutchfield 20 bucks for them to wire up a plug and play harness for the car stereos power wires so I can have easy non invasive removal when I sell the car and the stock head unit goes back in.

Installation was a breeze. I'm completely clueless when it comes to electronics. So here is what i did...

1. When removing my old head unit I followed the YouTube videos. I made sure to zero out the fader and put the volume around 50% when you disconnect the unit.

2. Plugged in the "plug and play"' harness from Crutchfield which was probably even an unnecessary splurge. The harness literally connects only the small power harness from the car that has all of 4 wires on it to the new aftermarket head unit. I believe they are a battery power wire, an ACC wire, and a ground. There may be one other.

3. Soldered the 3 following wires from the MOST HUR box into the corresponding harness wires.
-Black went to black for ground
-Red went to red for accessory power
-Yellow went to yellow for battery terminal power

4. Plugged the Bose digital optical (two orange optical cables on the same plug) from the car into the MOST HUR box.

5. Plugged the red and white composite audio cables (two of them - one L and one R) into the composite audio LF and RR jacks on the back of the aftermarket receiver.

6. Plugged the red wire from the harness that connected the ACC power from the stereo and the MOST HUR box into the fuse box of the car on an ignition controlled fuse. I used fuse B9 - telefon fuse.

PRESTO! done... and it actually works!!!

Sound is excellent and I now have a nice touch screen head unit with Bluetooth, the ability to play DVDs, media sticks, etc.

Thanks. Yes no issues at all. It's completely plug and play.

To be honest I've never messed around with my fader or balance controls but I'm sure that this unit is just like the nav TV version. Honestly I would not be surprised if they're built in the same Factory in China. I did make sure that when I disconnected my factory radio all the balance and fader settings were zeroed out and the volume was somewhere in the middle.

Mike
Hi Mike the link to the eBay MOST recorder is broken. Do you mind sharing the exact product and I can search again
Old 07-19-2018, 02:02 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
OK, back to my antenna problem. I hope that someone has an idea, but it's probably one of those electrical gremlins that we all hate so much....
If you read a bit above, it took me a while to figure out that the white wire from the Porsche harness needs to be powered to get juice to the antenna amp.
So I connected the white/blue wire from the radio to the white wire in the Porsche harness and all is good.
yeah, kind-a, here is when it gets weird:
If either the engine is running or I have the ignition key turned all the way so that all lamps on the dashboard are lit, I have radio reception, albeit pretty lousy
If I now turn the key to the left to the position where the engine is not running and I have no lights on the dashboard but still power to the radio, the radio reception is great

ideas?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.. but this steering-wheel-control-thing has been my pet gremlin for the last few weeks
Anyways, when you say bad reception.. is it some kind of noise in the audio or it is basically intermittent sound?
Does it also happen when using other sources for music (bluetooth or a USB)?
If it happens for all sources, then it might be an "alternator whine" and it means you have a bad ground.
You can either go into OCD and check all the connections and/or add a ground loop isolator to the circuit - I had to do this on an older 997 after I lost my mind
Old 07-19-2018, 02:53 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skidly
Shyam really look forward to hearing how the Connect2 works for you.
Short answer: The Connects2 module/kit really works

But the issue I have now, is mostly due to the buggy Sony XAV-AX100.
Default mode for the steering wheel controls only detects the volume wheel - so that was useless.
This head unit has a custom mode where you can set steering wheel controls to functions individually.
There seems to be a small 15-20 sec window where it registers things, and then it throws an error and forgets all the buttons!
And you can't edit a custom control-set.. you have to start afresh.

Several others with different cars and different steering interfaces had the same complaints about the Sony XAV-AX100.
It doesn't look like Sony gives a damn as some of them reached out to "Tier 2 support" and one guy even got to their engineering department.
Their code is open sourced, but I couldn't get head or tail out of it or understand how I could get it to build and then deploy onto my head unit.

It's a shame that custom controls don't work. Otherwise I would rate this to be a very good head unit that covers a lot of functionality.
There's no other way to get CarPlay and AndroidAuto at this price point It boots up pretty fast and has a bunch of cool features.
And the best part is.. only the front face is a double din size.. the actual head unit it a single din.. so you have a lot of space to stash your harnesses and modules!

For what it's worth, I tried several iterations of the custom controls to see if the Connects2 module can detect/use all of the buttons (2-3 per iteration)
e.g. I would try to use the right wheel for volume or use the "source" button for next track or phone buttons for mute etc.
From those experiments, I think the Connects2 module can detect all the controls (just need to double-check the "back" button).
I could even get the phone buttons to work (the Connects2 website says that it will work only for Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer and Zenec)

To summarize, I think the Connects2 module works really well for 997/987 But they don't sell this particular steering module as a standalone.
You have to buy the full kit (CTSPO005.2) unfortunately. I didn't have the courage or patience to buy one of their non-kit steering modules to see if it would still work.
I suspect one of their modules will definitely work - it doesn't make sense as a business to make a unicorn module that is sold only with a kit.

I'm exploring other head unit options currently and will mostly put my old seicane box, and the head unit stuff for sale soon.
I also have a TranzitBluHF kit that was on the car previously which I've since removed and will sell soon.
Hope my rant/discourse is helpful at least to a small degree

Thanks
Shyam
Old 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Shyamvenky - PM sent.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:20 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I see there are people out there trying to stick it to the porsche owners now charging $200 and more for this adapter that was being sold for $79 to others. Total bummer. Here is a $129 one I found...

https://www.seicane.com/2003-2012-po...converter-sc69
Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

bhvrdr, thanks for your answers to my questions and your support of this thread. Much appreciated.

Jack
Old 07-20-2018, 06:17 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BF951
Shyamvenky - PM sent.
PM replied to, sir

Originally Posted by Allcarlover
Hi Mike the link to the eBay MOST recorder is broken. Do you mind sharing the exact product and I can search again
I see there are people out there trying to stick it to the porsche owners now charging $200 and more for this adapter that was being sold for $79 to others. Total bummer. Here is a $129 one I found...

https://www.seicane.com/2003-2012-po...converter-sc69
Yes, I've seen the price from Seicane themselves oscillating..

That said.. since I bought a Connects2 kit that has it's own MOST box, my Seicane MOST box is up for sale (I have the subscription to post an ad up, but it might be quicker is someone can pick it up in this thread). I'll offer mine for $79 shipped within the US, since that's the best price Seicane would've offered. If you think that's reasonable, shoot me a PM or just update this thread and we can work out the other details
Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Risk3233
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm gong NAV TV. Will I lose my fader? Do I still have use of both front and rear speakers?

BTW I have Bose.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

NAV Tv's manual says that fader control is not supported. I don't think any MOST box for the 997 supports fader.
You will still be using all of the speakers in the car.
https://navtv.com/media/products_fil...manual_rb6.pdf

Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....