Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:10 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

hmm.. if it is defective, then they should offer a replacement without any penalty.
Do you get the other functions from the CanBus box => reverse, parking brake etc?
If you get none of the functions, then it might be a defective unit.
Or.. you are yet to discover some blunder in the installation (I've done that before )

The only "secret" that the Connects2 told me after I opened a support ticket was that when you open up the CanBus box, there are dipswitches to set if it's a Sony HU.
For everything else, you can leave them as they are.
It's a bit disappointing that they don't have a microUSB or other port that you can run diagnostics on via some test app or so.

I really liked the minimalist design of the alpine, but sadly I'm an android-person.. so couldn't give that up.
And the one issue that I had with that alpine HU was that CarPlay is the only thing you can ever do => no BT, no Aux, no USB media.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:30 AM
ptam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
hmm.. if it is defective, then they should offer a replacement without any penalty.
Do you get the other functions from the CanBus box => reverse, parking brake etc?
If you get none of the functions, then it might be a defective unit.
Or.. you are yet to discover some blunder in the installation (I've done that before )

The only "secret" that the Connects2 told me after I opened a support ticket was that when you open up the CanBus box, there are dipswitches to set if it's a Sony HU.
For everything else, you can leave them as they are.
It's a bit disappointing that they don't have a microUSB or other port that you can run diagnostics on via some test app or so.

I really liked the minimalist design of the alpine, but sadly I'm an android-person.. so couldn't give that up.
And the one issue that I had with that alpine HU was that CarPlay is the only thing you can ever do => no BT, no Aux, no USB media.
No reverse or parking thru Canbus. The unit doesn't have any dipswitches. I believe it is a newer model. So no settings to change. AND it doesn't have any power light indicators either. Maybe it was dead on arrival but there is no way I can tell. I requested Connects2 to provide diagnostic instructions to check if the unit is good or defective but they offered no suggestion on how to perform that test.

The IXL-107 Alpine unit with carplay does have BT, and USB media. Works great.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 PM
oronymo
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow I need to spend some time really reading through this. I’m about to dive into this for my 997.1 Targa 4S...

Someone mentioned this unit from Crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120PO9...Interface.html

has anyone used this successfully? It’s half the price of the nav-tv unit, and being from Crutchfield I’m a little more inclined to trust it more than the Chinese knock-offs on Ali-express.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 AM
oronymo
Racer

I just had a local installer do this (also doing a backup cam so getting paid help was worth it) and I am pleased overall so far (ilx-107 with wireless carplay is awesome) but it’s going back in to get the parking brake connection done up properly to access advanced settings.

I read somewhere that you can actually split out the bose subwoofer and tie it directly to the head units subwoofer line. I suppose this would give you “.1” control over that, but wondering if anyone has done it and whether It’s worth it?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the process of doing this for my Cayman. I plan on running the two RCAs for the HU and one for the subwoofer through a noise isolator for ground loops, then feed the single RCA to the sub alone.

Not sure if I need to disconnect the Bose optical from the sub, or not. On another thread, it was pointed out that the Bose optical is a ring topology, so you need an optical repeater to not break the loop if you disconnect an item.

Also, FWIW, I have one of these Longate MOST adapters spare from my build. new, never installed. Vendor said I would have to send it back to china and they would only give me a portion of the cost back. $80 shipped CONUS if anyone wants to try one for a 20% savings.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:37 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Read over this thread and I'm still not clear on the viability of the Seicane MOST adapter.
In my case it's an 08' with Bose and without steering wheel controls.
--And here is a current link to a unit that's available and still reasonably priced (most of the other links were dead): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seic...846889436.html--

With this unit, I'd lose fader control front to rear? I never change this so as long as its set properly before removing the stock head unit I'll be ok?
My sound quality will not go down?
Is there a gen 2 of this unit in which the fader issue fixed?
Is there anything this unit won't do that others will?

Thanks for any help. Thinking about going to a Pioneer AVH W4400NEX.
I want wireless carplay and XM radio which apparently has very limited options at this point. Would prefer a volume **** but can't get that with the other two.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
Read over this thread and I'm still not clear on the viability of the Seicane MOST adapter.
In my case it's an 08' with Bose and without steering wheel controls.
--And here is a current link to a unit that's available and still reasonably priced (most of the other links were dead): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seic...846889436.html--

With this unit, I'd lose fader control front to rear? I never change this so as long as its set properly before removing the stock head unit I'll be ok?
My sound quality will not go down?
Is there a gen 2 of this unit in which the fader issue fixed?
Is there anything this unit won't do that others will?

Thanks for any help. Thinking about going to a Pioneer AVH W4400NEX.
I want wireless carplay and XM radio which apparently has very limited options at this point. Would prefer a volume **** but can't get that with the other two.
Hi, I have a MOST adapter that I can sell you for $80 shipped. I wanted steering controls as well, so was forced to buy a "full kit" that came with its own MOST box (read up the thread for my updates).

Even the NAV-TV module ($650 or so) does not support fader control - you'd need an adapter that can send fader info in MOST protocol for that.
There is a russian module someone mentioned in the forums that might do so - $250 or so, but noone has verified it works so far.
So long as you split R and L channels to pickup F and R, you would at least have fader and balance blended into one setup

If you don't expect audiophile quality, then you would be much happier with any of the MOST kits out there.
If you are really particular, then you should rip out the entire system and choose the exact setup you want. Some folks have done it and there are threads with a lot of details.

Thanks
Shyam
Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 AM
rubenalsina
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question on CanBus and Seicane

Originally Posted by BallVice
The bottom end would be the Seicane - 70-129 - depending on where you find it. Simple install - Keeps Bose - you lose the CanBus
Next is the Axxess (can find it at Crutchfield) - 300-400 range - can keep CanBus - loses fader
Next is NavTV - as high as $650 - Same as the Axxess - but was first - so most people are familiar with it -

I went with the Seicane - I have an 06 C2S - works fine - I just don't get the radio read out on the Spedo cluster - (not worth 200-400 more to get that and STILL lose the fader).
Hi
I have a question on your comparison above, I don't know pretty much what does the CanBus does or is for and what I would loose if use the Seicane. Does loosing the CanBus will affect any function on the car or OBDII functions?.
Thank you in advance for your help, if I move forward I will bother you a lot..hehe
The following users liked this post:
Saaboteur (05-14-2020)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:44 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

A member on the Cayenne 955 forum had another workaround for the F/R fader issue. He essentially "half-ditched" the MOST/Bose system. He did the following:

1) Kept the MOST (connected to the front RCAs on the headunit) adapter for the front channels
2) Used the rear RCA outs on the headunit to feed a small amp that was then wired to conventionally drive the rear speakers [and sub?].

That may be interesting to some.
The following users liked this post:
stantaur (04-07-2023)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 105 Posts

I would not worry about HD Radio... still only normal FM freq range...not a better quality
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 PM
oronymo
Racer

FYI, for what it's worth, I used the official NAV TV unit ($$$) and ended up with some high frequency hiss / alternator whine that just wouldn't go away. I added ferrite bead filters on the power and ground wires and the noise went away. Just as a tip for anyone who's getting line noise. In fact, I have some leftover if anyone wants some (just pay shipping).
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenalsina
Hi
I have a question on your comparison above, I don't know pretty much what does the CanBus does or is for and what I would loose if use the Seicane. Does loosing the CanBus will affect any function on the car or OBDII functions?.
Thank you in advance for your help, if I move forward I will bother you a lot..hehe
I'm sorry about the late reply - Bought an R8 and have been living on those forms - (still have my C2S) ;-)

i have had Z E R O issues with this

I don't get the display on the dash for the radio station - little things that don't matter.

I went with the Pioneer 4400W --- it's wireless/wired Carplay and I AB SO LUTE LY love it -

I am trying to find all of the piece to do this in the V10 R8 - I can't live without CarPlay!!!

The Porsche was SUPER easy - BUT - DO NOT test fit the unit - you'll end up by taking 1/2 the front dash apart to get it back out - It says that in the manual.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:41 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I am replacing both the HU and Bose AMP in my 997.1S What I can't tell is what harnesses should be used. Some were listed in older threads but those EBay auctions or part numbers are no longer valid.

Looking for:
1. Harness to connect Sony HU to factory wiring. (HU to AMP is a no brainer).
2. Harness to connect aftermarket AMP to factory speaker wiring.

Please let me know what you used and if it required modification or was plug-n-play.

TIA Brian
Old 03-23-2019, 11:50 AM
oronymo
Racer

Originally Posted by BallVice
I'm sorry about the late reply - Bought an R8 and have been living on those forms - (still have my C2S) ;-)

i have had Z E R O issues with this

I don't get the display on the dash for the radio station - little things that don't matter.

I went with the Pioneer 4400W --- it's wireless/wired Carplay and I AB SO LUTE LY love it -

I am trying to find all of the piece to do this in the V10 R8 - I can't live without CarPlay!!!

The Porsche was SUPER easy - BUT - DO NOT test fit the unit - you'll end up by taking 1/2 the front dash apart to get it back out - It says that in the manual.
The official nav tv most unit also doesn’t give you in dash display (unless it’s supposed to and I hooked up something wrong? It’s an alpine head unit).

Honestly the official unit works fine, but it is definitely WAY over priced. When asked about whether there should always a subtle hiss when the unit is on but not playing they said yes that’s normal. And there’s no fader or direct subwoofer control. For a $100 adapter I’d be ok with those compromises, but for a $600 part that’s been specifically engineered for my car I’d expect more polish.

edit: I understand the Bose unit is strange (I’m pretty sure it’s doing Dolby style surround sound processing with the center and rear channels) but you’d still think this could be adapted correctly.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

I just installed a Kenwood HU and used the Crutchfield wire harness and the Axxess MOST adaptor (350). The pre-done wire harness makes it much easier to install. I have no hiss at all. I dont believe that is "normal" other than it being normal that they prob dont want to do any more work on it!The only thing i cant get working is the volume click wheel on the steering wheel. All the other button work except for vol which is the only one i really wanted. And btw i cut all the lock tabs off the face plate mount. Its not going anywhere and will be relatively easy to remove if need be.

I dont think the sound is as good as the oem unit. You are going from a 4.1 system to a 2 channel system. I need to play around with the EQ more but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of volume out of the 3 speakers in the dash ie the 2 tweeters and the centre channel. The 2 front door speaker (ie the 4" and 8" driver i believe) are much lower in vol than they were before. Is it possible to just cut the centre channel? Would that effect anything else?

If anyone has a recommendation for a proper tuning, would love to hear it

Cheers

Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....