Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 12:17 PM
Daffy113
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
These 21 pages of replies and remedies is exactly why my oem head unit will remain until Porsche Classic if ever comes out with a compatible unit for the 997 or I die first . I know many have successfully installed aftermarket units but I am not prepared to loose any head unit or steering wheel functions.
Ha! I get that! Though it was a good challenge, learned a bunch and, in the end, the sound is incredible by comparison.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:30 PM
juvenescence
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
As far as installation goes - they are all around the same effort if you start from scratch.
If you source the 2 channel cheaper MOST box from a supplier like Crutchfield in the US, they can pre-wire a harness if you give them the HU make/model etc.
Otherwise you'll have to make a harness yourself - that is what this thread is helpful for.
Any idea on how to do this? I tried asking Crutchfield and all they seem to have is the AXXESS product for $350, which is nice, but I don't need the steering wheel controls
Old 12-08-2022, 03:17 PM
Chrisw83
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by juvenescence
Any idea on how to do this? I tried asking Crutchfield and all they seem to have is the AXXESS product for $350, which is nice, but I don't need the steering wheel controls
The harness itself is easy enough, we have pictures and stuff posted here -> https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...av-ax5000.html

My bose amp just died and I replaced that with a new one so I have a spare adapter if you are interested, I actually have 2 because I thought the adapter was screwing up so I bought a new one as well lol
Old 12-09-2022, 12:00 AM
juvenescence
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chrisw83
The harness itself is easy enough, we have pictures and stuff posted here -> https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...av-ax5000.html

My bose amp just died and I replaced that with a new one so I have a spare adapter if you are interested, I actually have 2 because I thought the adapter was screwing up so I bought a new one as well lol
Sweet. I sent you a PM
Old 12-15-2022, 08:36 PM
juvenescence
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daffy113
2. Loud amp pops – it is recommended that the red lead of the optical converter (MOST) be connected to the new head unit’s blue amp-controller/antenna power lead. This may leave the MOST adaptor powered on when no audio signal is present. Power cutoff is dependent on the timing of the new head unit that has constant power from the battery lead. I don’t know if it’s a capacitance issue of the $100 MOST, but connecting the red lead along with the yellow lead of the MOST to ACC immediately kills the MOST adaptor (and audio input to the amp) when the car is turned off and the amp goes off gracefully moments later.

I have added an updated wire diagram with some notes to address some questions that still remained unclear to me with prior write-ups.
So you're saying you skipped having to wire the most box to a fuse by doing this? It's interesting to see the different approaches here to get power to these aftermarket solutions.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:55 PM
Daffy113
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by juvenescence
So you're saying you skipped having to wire the most box to a fuse by doing this? It's interesting to see the different approaches here to get power to these aftermarket solutions.
No. Both leads of the MOST are powered to the cord behind the HVAC, which is fused and goes hot on ACC.
The following users liked this post:
juvenescence (12-16-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 07:44 PM
juvenescence
Advanced

Just got my HU installed today, thanks to everyone and all the info posted in this thread. Special shout-out to @Chrisw83 (for the MOST adapter) and @Daffy113 (Wiring Diagram).

Total cost came in at just over $300 for everything. A little higher than OP, but I get wireless Carplay/Android Auto at this price-point
Cost breakdown -
$170(headunit)
$100(MOST)
$20(Metra faceplate
$16(harness adapters)
$5(taps+connectors)

Longer write up with some pictures will come some time later.

Last edited by juvenescence; 12-21-2022 at 07:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by juvenescence:
Chrisw83 (12-22-2022), Daffy113 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 12:29 PM
juvenescence
Advanced

Originally Posted by bob87654
I've a 997 with Bose. My PCM 2.1 has packed in so looking at aftermarket.

Reading through the posts I see I need a MOST/CAN kit, something like the NAVTV unit.

This looks a reasonable easy install. (i hope). However the thing that worried me most was the fader!!! Is it right this is lost on any aftermarket unit?

This would be a HUGE issue got me, as in my car I need to set fader to be 80% to rear to get decent use. I did try to get an aftermarket installed a few years ago by Halfords (UK based fitter) but after I only seems to have sound from the front area. This was obviously because of the fader issue (I don't know this at the time). Anyway, it was no use like that so had it removed and the PCM put back in.

1. What is the current state regarding fader?
2. What's the best kit to go for (features, ease of install)
3. Is there anything i need to ensure the new hard unit has, for things to work properly?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think any reasonable replacement that fits your needs would end up costing, with labor, pretty close to the cost of just getting the PCCM+, which is plug and play.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Hello Rennlisters! Some help if possible..

I have the MOST HUR adapter for my 997.1 with the following wiring.. but it’s not powering on. Any of you gurus with tips to check for? Thank you in advanced..Green/red from OEM goes to Yellow 12v to head unit

Brown OEM goes to black ground into head unit

Yellow most HUR turns into red and goes to fuse C7.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:18 AM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Nevermind, I got the power on. Realized the yellow and black weren't spliced to both the MOST and HU.

As an aside, still no audio just powers on. I have two Fiber Optic Cables from the original wiring, is that normal?? I only have one input for the MOST.

Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....