Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I finally got it installed. The wiring took some trial and error. No noticeable background noise, and I think it sounds a better than before.
Overall, I am satisfied with the results. My biggest disappointment is in android auto. It is very limited in features, buggy with it's safety features, and the UI is very inefficient with screen space.
And for some reason, the radio clock is running slow... wtf? Maybe there's a software update.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:55 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the review.

My Blaupunkt San Jose with the ebay MOST-HUR is still going strong. No issues with any background noise.

The only small annoyances I have had is related to the HU. If a phone is connected via BT connection and I walk away from the car with the phone (such as at a car detailing shop) while the car is running the radio will sometimes freeze completely and I have to do a hard reset. Now I just turn the radio off completely off when I go for a detailing and that avoids the issue.

mike
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Mikerx80
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bhvrdr I want to thank you so much for the information. Finally got around installing a 7" double din Alpine navigation with Alpine rear view camera and also decided to install a custom radar mute button in my ashtray. I did get it professionally installed, printed out your instructions and clarified the need to connect MOST HUR box to ACC. There is absolutely no pops when turning off the car, the sound is crystal clear, and it sounds like I have changed out my speakers and amp. It sounds so great. Although I did lose my capability of using the chrono (I had never used it in the past), the upgrade in technology was well worth it. The shop did take over 4 hours installing due to the customization of the ashtray and the installation of the rear view camera.

The Fiber Optic MOST HUR you recommended was what truly sold me on this system upgrade. Thanks again for sharing the information.

-Mike
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
bhvrdr I want to thank you so much for the information. Finally got around installing a 7" double din Alpine navigation with Alpine rear view camera and also decided to install a custom radar mute button in my ashtray. I did get it professionally installed, printed out your instructions and clarified the need to connect MOST HUR box to ACC. There is absolutely no pops when turning off the car, the sound is crystal clear, and it sounds like I have changed out my speakers and amp. It sounds so great. Although I did lose my capability of using the chrono (I had never used it in the past), the upgrade in technology was well worth it. The shop did take over 4 hours installing due to the customization of the ashtray and the installation of the rear view camera.

The Fiber Optic MOST HUR you recommended was what truly sold me on this system upgrade. Thanks again for sharing the information.

-Mike
Hey thanks very much for the positive feedback i'm glad it worked out for you and saved you some coin!

I actually can still control my lap timer / Chrono from the steering column stalk but of course you dont get the running lap times up on the HU display anymore. Just the one lap at a time. I'm like you though. If I was into lap times Id spend the cheap amount of money on a real lap timer or use Harrys Laptimer.

I like the plug and play nature of this setup. When I do sell this car I can slide the factory head unit back in all of 20 minutes and I'll have a completely unmolested appearing car.

Mike
Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Saj m
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. When removing my old head unit I followed the YouTube videos. I made sure to zero out the fader and put the volume around 50% when you disconnect the unit.

What do you mean? Can you post the link to the video? I think that's why I have no sound in my one!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:59 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Saj m
1. When removing my old head unit I followed the YouTube videos. I made sure to zero out the fader and put the volume around 50% when you disconnect the unit.

What do you mean? Can you post the link to the video? I think that's why I have no sound in my one!

The videos were just for install of a headunit. As far as actually installing the MOST HUR device you are just supposed to make sure that before you remove your head unit you have the fader and balance set to the middle so all speakers are on. Then put the volume around 50%. Then remove your head unit. If you did that just check your connections.

Mike
Old 12-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Saj m
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
The videos were just for install of a headunit. As far as actually installing the MOST HUR device you are just supposed to make sure that before you remove your head unit you have the fader and balance set to the middle so all speakers are on. Then put the volume around 50%. Then remove your head unit. If you did that just check your connections.

Mike
Thanks buddy, I didn't do that maybe that's why I can't hear anything at all!

Fingers crossed will have a go when I get back from work. The connects2 cable looks identical to your wiring box that you used!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Saj m
Cruisin'

Didn't work, no idea what's going on!

Everything else works steering control etc. No sound!
Old 12-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Saj m
Cruisin'

YAY got it working, now where the hell do I hide all these wires? I can barely push this in!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 PM
SamEllie1631
1st Gear

I really appreciate your post. I used the same MOST device to a Pioneer 4201NEX and also had the backup camera installed today. Although you lose the fader on the radio, all in all it's perfect.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 PM
markskyline
Track Day

Originally Posted by 911-997
how is your FM radio reception? I have very weak FM radio reception after installing the Metra adapter.

Anyone know how to fix it?
There is a White wire in the radio harness that needs 12V in order to turn on the factory antenna module. I connected it to 12V switched and I have great radio reception.
The following users liked this post:
stantaur (04-07-2023)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Great thread. May do the upgrades in mine as well. I've always like the Alpine units. Little more research and i'll be there.

List:
Alpine head unit (no nav)
MOST HUR unit
Alpine rear camera (where did u hike the wiring?)
Wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield, this is the part i'm a little confused on. They have great customer service, maybe i'll just call

Missing anything?

thanx, mike
Old 01-26-2018, 02:59 AM
Mikerx80
AutoX

Originally Posted by mikes70
Great thread. May do the upgrades in mine as well. I've always like the Alpine units. Little more research and i'll be there.

List:
Alpine head unit (no nav)
MOST HUR unit
Alpine rear camera (where did u hike the wiring?)
Wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield, this is the part i'm a little confused on. They have great customer service, maybe i'll just call

Missing anything?

thanx, mike
Mike, for your cam you need to go through the rear passenger light. This took absolutely the longest as the exhaust is right under the rear bumper where the wiring is. I got mine done at the shop. Here are the wires you would need and harness.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F261501805702

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302082174151

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162098061139

Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Fantastic, thank you for posting those links. I am gathering a parts list for my plan also.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:34 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerx80

Mike, for your cam you need to go through the rear passenger light. This took absolutely the longest as the exhaust is right under the rear bumper where the wiring is. I got mine done at the shop. Here are the wires you would need and harness.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F261501805702

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302082174151

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162098061139

Cool, thanx for the links, saved me some time. I love these forums, its why i pay to be here. Great info. Got all my suspension info, wheels info, duck tail etc etc from here.....thanx again, mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....