Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Lawrencejuliano
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I managed to trip an air bag warning a week ago. Fortunately I've got a good friend who was willing to lend me his Durametric Pro. The reset turns out to be very easy. Shouldn't be a big deal at a dealer or an Indie to fix this.
Ok good to know, thank you!
Old 06-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

The Navone Engineering units finally arrived! I'd almost given up hope, nightmares of lost in the mail, so ordered comparable units off eBay just yesterday. I guess I'll have some surplus now.

I'm going to try installing tonight or tomorrow and will report back on results.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Chrisw83
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
The Navone Engineering units finally arrived! I'd almost given up hope, nightmares of lost in the mail, so ordered comparable units off eBay just yesterday. I guess I'll have some surplus now.

I'm going to try installing tonight or tomorrow and will report back on results.
You sound a lot like me, buy tons of gadgets and test them all out!

Seems our weather will be cooling down this weekend so I will be trying out the PAC gadgets I bought. Will also report back!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Lawrencejuliano
Rennlist Member

Alright, so my wiring should be disregarded in my previous post. I had 12v tapped into the fuse box, but it’s ignition controlled and I didn’t have a constant.

Looking back at what I’ve done, I essentially have two 12v switched wires: one running from the factory harness (red wire) to the accessory on the radio and MOST-HUR, and then another from the fuse box at C6 to the head unit 12v & MOST-HURT 12v.

I thought a quick remedy would be to just move the fuse tap to a constant source, so I moved to C8. This allowed constant 12v - but for some reason there is no change with ignition. The red wire from the factory harness seems to be giving no signal for ignition position.

EDIT: Figured it out, I had it wired backwards because of wire colour confusion. Red from the Metra harness (Green / Red from the Porsche) is 12v constant. Switched that around and hooked my accessory lines up to the switched fuse tap and it’s working perfectly. Also discovered that the cheap Metra double din kit is tough to remove but doesn’t take much effort (JUST MAKE SURE TO BREAK OFF THE TWO TOP TABS. Thank god to CAI and everyone for that recommendation. This would have made things 100% harder / impossible.)

Last edited by Lawrencejuliano; 06-13-2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
Chrisw83 (07-11-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Damnit, test fitted the Navone Engineering module and still getting the pop! I’ll try to actually hardwire it in and see what’s what.

The included instructions did say I could run the input from the power on lead from the amp, but also from switched 12v. Maybe I’ll try thr switched 12v for input.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:41 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisw83
I have always been told to avoid the tap connectors as they dont make very secure connections. This weekend I will be fiddling with my system again to try to and figure out how to get rid of the pop and whine.

@ilovemaui over all I will say its easy to install once you fully understand the way it needs to be wired! I dont know which hardware kit you have for mounting the system, but I would say take some test drives to make sure you dont have the alternator whine and the speaker pop before putting the radio in place. With the hardware kit I have, its a PITA to get the radio back out.
Finished my install and everything appears to be working just fine. No pop or static. Rear view camera is working as well. The CAI prewired harness is the way to go.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:45 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

double post

Last edited by ilovemaui; 06-18-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:11 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Pics of the installed Kenwood DNX997XR. Still need to push the radio in another 1/4". Lots of finger prints. Love the wireless Carplay.

Chrisw83 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM
Chrisw83
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Damnit, test fitted the Navone Engineering module and still getting the pop! I’ll try to actually hardwire it in and see what’s what.

The included instructions did say I could run the input from the power on lead from the amp, but also from switched 12v. Maybe I’ll try thr switched 12v for input.
The noise isolator from PAC did not get rid of the alternator whine for me! This is frustrating, but I also dont think my wiring is right. I am going through the wiring diagrams of everything and it just doesnt look right. I will be posting pictures in a new thread eventually.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Lawrencejuliano
Rennlist Member

I don’t know if it’s because of the different unit or wiring, but I’m getting no pop or any issues with the chinese MOST-HUR adapter from Amazon. For $100 with the ability to easily return it, may be worth a try...
Chrisw83 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 07:35 PM
Chrisw83
Advanced

Hey guys I started my own thread over in the Cayman sub but figured this might help you @Saaboteur and possibly @shyamvenky will know the answer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post16728975
Saaboteur (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:45 AM
fazelanvari
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Just joined the club recently (well I've had a Macan since last August, but I just got an 2008 911 S Cab) and signed up after following this thread from the beginning. I started out with the Seicane MOST adapter, but ended up sending it back to buy Crutchfield's adapter for ease of use. Anyway, I've only got everything test wired right now, and the stereo works ok. Couple of problems, and these might go away, but I wanted input.
  1. When I first turn on the key, I get a bunch of errors. PASM, PSM, PCM, and maybe something else. My understanding is that these will go away once I drive a bit
  2. My antenna reception is really weak. Now I'm in my garage, so that could be part of it. If I wiggle my antenna adapter connection a bit, the signal will come in. I've got it wired with P. Cont and Ant. Cont to the blue/white wire on the Crutchfield harness. I think that's right, but on the Axxess instructions it says to connect the blue and the blue/white to the amp turn on wire on the Kenwood harness. But the Axxess harness doesn't have blue and blue/white, just blue/white. Not sure if this is affecting the antenna amplifier or not, but I thought I'd bring it up. I may call Crutchfield's support for answers.
  3. This is the big one for me. Along with the errors in my first point, it acts like it can't measure my oil. Is this anything to do with my replacement, or is it because the battery was disconnected and I haven't started the engine yet?
Thanks anyone for help.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:12 PM
kobe1136
3rd Gear

I have been following these page for awhile now and I finally upgraded to an Alpine unit on my 987. Thanks everyone who provided information on the wiring and troublshooting. It was really helpful. I got no pop and noise after the installation.

P.S I got an extra Chinese MOST decoder for sale. Giving back to the community I will sell for $20+shipping. PM me first come first serve I only got one. Cheers guys
Old 06-27-2020, 11:25 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I dunno if you have access to PMs with such low post count. But I’ll take the MOST adaptor if it’s not spoken for yet!
Old 06-28-2020, 05:09 PM
kobe1136
3rd Gear

ahh you are right. It's yours. Send an email to me with your shipping info. kobe1136@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....