Sponsored by:

Tiptronic S on 997.1 - Excellent transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:13 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlessioGiorgio
Thanks for all these technical info about TIPTRONIC S.
I have just sold MY 996-4 TIPTRONIC , after 11 years of very nice GT use, and now I'm selling also my 993-4 manual, because I cannot push
any more the clutch, and I was thinking to search a 997.1 Turbo Tiptronic and I'm very happy to hear that the Tiptronic S works very well
on the 997.1 TT and so I wonder if it works very well also on the 996TT ??
Because I'm in the middle between 996TT or 997TT....
Here in Italy Tiptronic is not loved, the most part of guys go for a manual, so it is easier to search to buy a 911 with TiptronicS...
THANKS and Ciao !
These are different cars.

I have no experience with TIPTRONIC at 996 or 993..

In 993 the manufacturer was ZF, in the latest version (TIPTRONIC S) the manufacturer is MB (Mercedes with Porsche patent). The differences between the versions are significant..

The Tip s in its latest version (in 997) is very smart, fast, powerful and reliable. But, you have to learn to drive it.
It is very important to use gas, brakes, and gear in the steering wheel. Everything must work manually to take advantage of the gear system. This is unlike a PDK transmission system that also knows how to do it alone, including a Launch Control

The best impression is to drive.

So, in my personal opinion, driving in D mode in TIP is slow and boring. Unlike the PDK that does the job quickly in any situation (D or M).

[Both in 997 and 996 the TIP is based on the same torque converter platform. As is known, this platform exists, among others, in Aston Martin, Corvette, Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series and Porsche). In addition, there are two platforms, including two pedals, such as dual clutch (existing in 997.2, SMG, Ferrari), and single clutch (the old Ferrari F1). As we are dealing with different platforms, there is also an endless debate on this point.]

Each platform has advantages and disadvantages. Reliability, speed shifts, maintenance, power strength.
The common denominator of all of them is that they are automatic transmission systems with manual control.

I recommend driving the TIP S in manual mode, starting with the first gear (to combine the first with a complete stop) and I recommend looking for 997 only with Chrono Sport (this significantly improves the transmission ratios in TIP S and also the declarative response).

Personally, if you're looking for just 2 pedals and steering control, I would look for 997TT. A different vehicle in all respects from 996.

Good luck in searches
The following users liked this post:
turb0 (01-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Tiptronic S on 997.1 - Excellent transmission