Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tiptronic S on 997.1 - Excellent transmission

Hello friends,

I'll try to make it short ..
Open to discussion for anyone who likes Porsche (in any configuration)

I own a 997.1 (997.1 2005 Carrera S Tiptronic S + Chrono Sport).

After quite a few doubts given the fact that over the years, all the cars I had were with manual transmission. For the first time, I purchased the 911 (childhood dream) with control from the steering wheel (TIPTRONIC S).

The reason I chose TIPTRONIC S was due to several considerations:

1. Control the steering wheel.
2. More focus on driving.
3. Left foot on the brake, especially track
4. It is about very reliable transmission gears. Transmission system in its latest development.
5. Improved version of TIPTRONIC S with Chrono Sport (I think it is very necessary for those who drive "track driving")

** Actually, today, all races, including F1. It is steering control and two pedals (no matter if it is tiptronic s, E GEAR, F1, or PDK). The idea in all of them is to control the gears through the steering wheel + 2 pedals + option for D mode (option D is a bonus for me).

For those who do not know, the same technology of TIPTRONIC S Torque Converter, there are also shared cars such as aston martin DB9 .., Corvette .., AMG and more ..

Unfortunately, many people (especially later on the keyboard) denigrate the TIPTRONIC S. without even having once handled TIPTRONIC S.

From my personal experience and daily driving on the vehicle, today, I can say with full confidence that you need to know to drive the TIPTRONIC S (manual mode - M). I have to admit that it took me a while to learn the gear system.

But, after learning to drive TIPTRONIC S, the story changes completely and driving becomes very fun and aggressive. The transmission system is strong and very effective. Responds quickly! (Not like the PDK but faster than manual and many transmission systems I know), especially when a Chrono Sport system is installed in the car that changes the brain of the transmission system and makes the TIPTRONIC S much more responsive and quick.

Knowing to drive in TIPTRONIC S. It's only from experience.
The bottom line: You have to learn when to lower or gear up? (Braking, acceleration or before turning). In addition, you should be very attentive to the gear system and the engine revs. As you do manually control the steering wheel! In fact, like driving a sports car.

In conclusion:

With the TIPTRONIC S it is possible to be very fast and enjoy almost like the PDK (the next generation of Porsche technology)
So, if you're looking for 997.1 (2005-2008) with steering wheel control, TIPTRONIC S is an excellent choice!

Manual - always fun (on all models).
TIPTRONIC S - recommended in 997.1 (latest version + Chrono Sport).
PDK - an amazing technology that is still growing.
The following users liked this post:
turb0 (01-20-2021)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Discussed many times. Don't expect many replies, generally folks on here prefer Manual, and they even value them higher though the market on general does not.

I have had to buy one because of pain from pushing clutch issues. I do also enjoy having hands on wheel. You won't want to left foot brake though, if you do don't touch the accelerator, it will kill the throttle.

I have enjoyed both equally. Each has positives and negatives. It really is about personal choice. I wouldn't mind having one of each. There really isn't a right or wrong, or a better or worse.

Glad you are enjoying it. Drive long and prosper!!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Discussed many times. Don't expect many replies, generally folks on here prefer Manual, and they even value them higher though the market on general does not.

I have had to buy one because of pain from pushing clutch issues. I do also enjoy having hands on wheel. You won't want to left foot brake though, if you do don't touch the accelerator, it will kill the throttle.

I have enjoyed both equally. Each has positives and negatives. It really is about personal choice. I wouldn't mind having one of each. There really isn't a right or wrong, or a better or worse.

Glad you are enjoying it. Drive long and prosper!!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:32 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the Tip in my SLK55 AMG that I modded with a Kleeman Supercharger. That car would absolutely scream. Except two things kept it from being a monster at the track....

1. The traction control even when off is soooooo intrusive.
2. The Tip is just too slow...I can do much better with a manual.

So out with the AMG, in with the 997, much happier.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2017, 04:47 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anytime I see a thread about the Tiptronic transmission, I have to chime in...

First of all, yes, it is an extremely reliable transmission. However, when you mate this transmission to a 3.8 liter engine, the 0-60 time is slower when compared to a manual transmission. Porsche built a wonderful engine when they built the 3.8 liter flat six (with the exception of the IMS/RMS), but the Tip takes that wonderful engine and castrates it to no end.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Tip Fastest Porsche I have ever owned.

Last edited by TECNO; 09-18-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
turb0 (01-20-2021)
Old 09-18-2017, 06:06 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TECNO
Not sure why you feel the need to chime in and bash the tip - it appears you used to have one and used to love it..
Funny I didn't take it as a bash. I thought he was very fair. The Tip on all 911s except the Turbo does significantly reduce 0 to 60 times.

I still can't get out of 2nd gear without speeding myself...almost wish I had a Base 3.6 so I can wind it out more .
Old 09-19-2017, 05:00 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Funny I didn't take it as a bash. I thought he was very fair. The Tip on all 911s except the Turbo does significantly reduce 0 to 60 times.

I still can't get out of 2nd gear without speeding myself...almost wish I had a Base 3.6 so I can wind it out more .

Sorry brother. This is not exact .. :/
I'm talking about Carrera S 997.1 (not turbo)

Although on paper, 0-60, Tiptronic S "slow" from the manual transmission system in 0.4 seconds (in D mode) ..

**While the 997.1 Turbo is faster than manual (also in D mode).

In practice, in track times, in tiptronic s (M mode in carrera s), you are not slower than manual.

On the contrary, the average driver and many drivers driving the track, are unable to transmit gears as fast as tiptronic s.
Moreover, in lane driving, with high-speed rotations, tiptronic s response in M ​​mode (with chono sport) is faster than a manual transmission system. (And takes out excellent track times)

Attached is a link to the video: A racing driver, and the car is not chrono sport!

Again, many people just do not know how to drive on tiptronic s.

I agree that in D mode the tiptronic transmission system is disappointing.
Unlike a pdk transmission system that works great even when it is in D mode.

But, in M ​​mode - it is different (The gear system's responses are faster and smoother and more responsive to the engine).

You also need to know which RPM to shift gear and lower gear. Just like manual gear.

I say all this from experience. It took me time to learn too.

Everything is written here too, with many more explanations:

"Porsche 997 2004-2012: Porsche Excellence - The Essential Companion: Adrian Streather"

Last edited by f911; 09-19-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
Hello friends,

I'll try to make it short ..
Open to discussion for anyone who likes Porsche (in any configuration)

I own a 997.1 (997.1 2005 Carrera S Tiptronic S + Chrono Sport).

After quite a few doubts given the fact that over the years, all the cars I had were with manual transmission. For the first time, I purchased the 911 (childhood dream) with control from the steering wheel (TIPTRONIC S).

The reason I chose TIPTRONIC S was due to several considerations:

1. Control the steering wheel.
2. More focus on driving.
3. Left foot on the brake, especially track
4. It is about very reliable transmission gears. Transmission system in its latest development.
5. Improved version of TIPTRONIC S with Chrono Sport (I think it is very necessary for those who drive "track driving")

** Actually, today, all races, including F1. It is steering control and two pedals (no matter if it is tiptronic s, E GEAR, F1, or PDK). The idea in all of them is to control the gears through the steering wheel + 2 pedals + option for D mode (option D is a bonus for me).

For those who do not know, the same technology of TIPTRONIC S Torque Converter, there are also shared cars such as aston martin DB9 .., Corvette .., AMG and more ..

Unfortunately, many people (especially later on the keyboard) denigrate the TIPTRONIC S. without even having once handled TIPTRONIC S.

From my personal experience and daily driving on the vehicle, today, I can say with full confidence that you need to know to drive the TIPTRONIC S (manual mode - M). I have to admit that it took me a while to learn the gear system.

But, after learning to drive TIPTRONIC S, the story changes completely and driving becomes very fun and aggressive. The transmission system is strong and very effective. Responds quickly! (Not like the PDK but faster than manual and many transmission systems I know), especially when a Chrono Sport system is installed in the car that changes the brain of the transmission system and makes the TIPTRONIC S much more responsive and quick.

Knowing to drive in TIPTRONIC S. It's only from experience.
The bottom line: You have to learn when to lower or gear up? (Braking, acceleration or before turning). In addition, you should be very attentive to the gear system and the engine revs. As you do manually control the steering wheel! In fact, like driving a sports car.

In conclusion:

With the TIPTRONIC S it is possible to be very fast and enjoy almost like the PDK (the next generation of Porsche technology)
So, if you're looking for 997.1 (2005-2008) with steering wheel control, TIPTRONIC S is an excellent choice!

Manual - always fun (on all models).
TIPTRONIC S - recommended in 997.1 (latest version + Chrono Sport).
PDK - an amazing technology that is still growing.
You truly love tiptronic. :-)

I'm okay with it on turbos. Not a huge fan elsewhere, but clearly there was/is a market for them!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
You truly love tiptronic. :-)

I'm okay with it on turbos. Not a huge fan elsewhere, but clearly there was/is a market for them!
TNX )
Mostly I love the Porsche 911
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Glad you're happy with your choice of a Tip, and I think this is your second thread on how much you love your Tip-equipped 911, but your facts just aren't correct about specs and shifting speed of the transmission.

Only in the Turbo is the Tip faster than the manual since the engine can stay on boost during the shift. In a NA car, the Tip is 0.1 to 0.2 seconds slower than an identical car equipped with a manual, depending on which road test you read. Back in the .1 days even excellence magazine used to make a point of listing different times for the MT vs Tip equipped cars in their road tests.

Here's one article and there are plenty more available via search.

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...mission-386454

exerpt: An interesting fact is that in a test using two Porsche 997 Turbos, the car equipped with a Tiptronic gearbox were just as fast on the sprint 0-60 mph as the car equipped with a manual gearbox. Both cars tested did the sprint 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds. So the Tiptronic gearbox is definitely shifting gears very fast. However, on the Carrera models, the Tiptronic equipped cars are a tenth of a second slower than the manual transmission.

I have a Tip in my Cayenne Turbo S and in that platform it's fine - almost bought a GTS in order to get a 6-speed manual, but for the way we use that car for family road trips and not spirited mounting driving or track work, the 550 HP of the Turbo S with a Tip outweighed the 400 HP of the GTS with a Manual for us. For me, it's not the right transmission for a sports car - you're consciously waiting for the gear change to occur after you push the button, completely unlike the PDK, which is a fine alternative in a sports car for someone that doesn't want a MT.

For someone who can't or doesn't want to drive an MT (health, traffic, etc) but wants a 911 as a DD, or uses their car more as a GT type, it's totally fine. For anyone else with a NA motor, it's simply a compromise between not wanting to pony up the extra money for a .2 with PDK.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Glad you're happy with your choice of a Tip, and I think this is your second thread on how much you love your Tip-equipped 911, but your facts just aren't correct about specs and shifting speed of the transmission.

Only in the Turbo is the Tip faster than the manual since the engine can stay on boost during the shift. In a NA car, the Tip is 0.1 to 0.2 seconds slower than an identical car equipped with a manual, depending on which road test you read. Back in the .1 days even excellence magazine used to make a point of listing different times for the MT vs Tip equipped cars in their road tests.

exerpt: An interesting fact is that in a test using two Porsche 997 Turbos, the car equipped with a Tiptronic gearbox were just as fast on the sprint 0-60 mph as the car equipped with a manual gearbox. Both cars tested did the sprint 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds. So the Tiptronic gearbox is definitely shifting gears very fast. However, on the Carrera models, the Tiptronic equipped cars are a tenth of a second slower than the manual transmission.

I have a Tip in my Cayenne Turbo S and in that platform it's fine - almost bought a GTS in order to get a 6-speed manual, but for the way we use that car for family road trips and not spirited mounting driving or track work, the 550 HP of the Turbo S with a Tip outweighed the 400 HP of the GTS with a Manual for us. For me, it's not the right transmission for a sports car - you're consciously waiting for the gear change to occur after you push the button, completely unlike the PDK, which is a fine alternative in a sports car for someone that doesn't want a MT.

For someone who can't or doesn't want to drive an MT (health, traffic, etc) but wants a 911 as a DD, or uses their car more as a GT type, it's totally fine. For anyone else with a NA motor, it's simply a compromise between not wanting to pony up the extra money for a .2 with PDK.
This is kind of funny, but do all of these uber intelligent folks writing about tip versus manual shifting capabilities in the 997 turbo mention the drastically different gearing in the manual versus the tiptronic????? Perhaps the tiptronics gearing is better suited for the turbo torque curve and hold gears longer to stay on boost better at specific ranges. Lol at trying to conclude anything about shifting speed for short acceleration burst when the transmissions being compared are not geared the same.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914

Thanks,

I agree if everything you say.
I'll add:
The reason for the 0.1 / 0.2 gap between tiptronic s M mode and manual transmission is due to the fact that tiptronic s is heavier at 70 pounds.
On the track. I do not think there is a difference between tiptronic s and manual transmission.

The tiptronic s is not a "less sporty" gearbox (each gearbox has advantages and disadvantages). This gearbox is the latest version with control wheel control right at those times.

Right. This is my second post. In recent months I have been able to learn better TIP S.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug H
This is kind of funny, but do all of these uber intelligent folks writing about tip versus manual shifting capabilities in the 997 turbo mention the drastically different gearing in the manual versus the tiptronic????? Perhaps the tiptronics gearing is better suited for the turbo torque curve and hold gears longer to stay on boost better at specific ranges. Lol at trying to conclude anything about shifting speed for short acceleration burst when the transmissions being compared are not geared the same.
Probably you never drove on tip s..
interesting. All engineers are wrong. Porsche, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Chevy ..
Most of them are not turbo and yet the transmission system works great.
The combination of the tiptronic s in the carrera s and the carrera turbo is wonderful. (As of those times)
PDK - even better.
But you can not compare carrera S to carrera Turbo!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 315 Posts

Porsche's official numbers in the attached image, just for reference...

• 0 to 62 mph
  • 0 to 99 mph
  • 62 to 99 mph
  • 0 to ¼ mile
  • 0 to 1,000 meters
  • ¼ mile to 1,000 meters
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tiptronic S on 997.1 - Excellent transmission