Sponsored by:

Tiptronic S on 997.1 - Excellent transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:41 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Porsche's official numbers in the attached image, just for reference...

• 0 to 62 mph
  • 0 to 99 mph
  • 62 to 99 mph
  • 0 to ¼ mile
  • 0 to 1,000 meters
  • ¼ mile to 1,000 meters
Great times of Tiptronic S compared to PDK!
And, All these tests are performed in D mode with professional drivers
Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
Probably you never drove on tip s..
interesting. All engineers are wrong. Porsche, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Chevy ..
Most of them are not turbo and yet the transmission system works great.
The combination of the tiptronic s in the carrera s and the carrera turbo is wonderful. (As of those times)
PDK - even better.
But you can not compare carrera S to carrera Turbo!
Lol, been a nationally certified driving instructor for Porsche since 90s, if that's what we used to call it back then, and I instructed at Barber for their Porsche Driving Experience/School and drove just about every version of what they had in Barber and Road Atlanta at one time or another up to about 2008. I have driven tiptronic cars on track and off ranging from 964s through 997tts.

Since tiptronics have been around, I have purchased new an 89 turbo, 91 turbo, 94 3.6 turbo, 2 993 tts, 3 996 tts, 997.1 tt and a 997.2 tt, most of which were special ordered and not one of them were a tiptronic, but the .2 was pdk.

I have also had a dozen or so NA 911s, none of which were tiptronic, but the vast majority of my post 09 cars have been pdk including wife's Macan S.

The only Porsches I have owned with a tiptronic were Cayennes. I would not personally buy any 911 with a tiptronic, but I like the pdk.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:58 PM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, been a nationally certified driving instructor for Porsche since 90s, if that's what we used to call it back then, and I instructed at Barber for their Porsche Driving Experience/School and drove just about every version of what they had in Barber and Road Atlanta at one time or another up to about 2008. I have driven tiptronic cars on track and off ranging from 964s through 997tts.

Since tiptronics have been around, I have purchased new an 89 turbo, 91 turbo, 94 3.6 turbo, 2 993 tts, 3 996 tts, 997.1 tt and a 997.2 tt, most of which were special ordered and not one of them were a tiptronic, but the .2 was pdk.

I have also had a dozen or so NA 911s, none of which were tiptronic, but the vast majority of my post 09 cars have been pdk including wife's Macan S.

The only Porsches I have owned with a tiptronic were Cayennes. I would not personally buy any 911 with a tiptronic, but I like the pdk.

An impressive track record !! Nice to meet you
But also tiptronic has undergone evolution with the years ...
Also the tiptronic's computer has changed ..
Right. This is personal preference. Like those who prefer PDK over a manual transmission system.
But you can not say better or worse..

By the way, you are registering that you prefer PDK than tiptronic s on 911.

Clear! This is a new and faster transmission system.

If I had the option, I would also buy GTS 2011 PDK or GT3 991.1 PDK.

But, the idea remains the same idea (two hands on the steering wheel, 2 pedals, control is the steering wheel, no gear shaft, the focus on driving and Also, both have D and M modes).

(True, mechanically, there is a difference. But it has to do with the technology of the years)

In terms of track times, there are no differences between the tiptronic s and the manual transmission system.
In the end. It depends on the driver!

Last edited by f911; 09-19-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TECNO
Not sure why you feel the need to chime in and bash the tip - it appears you used to have one and used to love it..

"*I have a C2S Tip and I love it.* Yes, it's slower and less engaging than a manual but after a long day at the office and heavy traffic, I am grateful that its an automatic and I can blast the cold A/C and turn on some jazz music on the Bose High End Sound System. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter which transmission you opted for. Everyone uses these cars for different reasons and applications. Automatic or not, these cars haul *** down the freeway and can take corners like no other car can.

Ideally yes, you should get a manual when buying these cars. I would have considered getting a manual myself but I already have a 2011 Mini Cooper S manual and it scratches the itch for me already.

The Tiptronic transmission is highly reliable and if maintained properly will perform for years to come.
I was not bashing the Tiptronic... I meant everything I wrote about the Tiptronic and to be fair I wrote those things not really knowing how the PDK would perform on a daily basis. Now that I own a PDK Cayman (2.7 liter), I can basically confirm that the Tiptronic transmission limits the performance capabilities of the 3.8 litter flat six. Now that I know both sides of the spectrum, I can make a clear and educated assessment on the subject.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:06 PM
f911
Racer

Congratulations frankyluis23

The PDK is installed in newer DFI engines. More efficient engines. Therefore, it is impossible to compare PDK and TIPTRONIC S in terms of "performance capabilities".
Clearly PDK is faster and stronger. Also the DFI 3.8 engine is stronger.
In terms of "performance capabilities" there is no difference at all between 997.1 tiptronic s and 997.1 manual
About times - Differences of tenths of a second, see what I wrote above.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:34 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I was not bashing the Tiptronic... I meant everything I wrote about the Tiptronic and to be fair I wrote those things not really knowing how the PDK would perform on a daily basis. Now that I own a PDK Cayman (2.7 liter), I can basically confirm that the Tiptronic transmission limits the performance capabilities of the 3.8 litter flat six. Now that I know both sides of the spectrum, I can make a clear and educated assessment on the subject.

I understand where you are coming from Franky. I removed my comments as they may have not been fair and for sure didnt add any substance to this thread.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:17 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry brother. This is not exact .. :/
I'm talking about Carrera S 997.1 (not turbo)...
Let me correct my poorly stated reply (way back at the beginning of thread ). My understanding is the Tip on a 997.1 C2S is about half a second slower 0-60. On the turbo not the case I understood.

That really was my only point, just wasn't very clear. As for all the other goodies you mention, all fun conversation. I would drive either, right now I'm restricted to Tip, physical reasons...but I do enjoy two hands on the wheel. When tracking my Boxsters I never got very good at heal-toe, just never took the time to learn.

Tip on and prosper!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,548 Likes on 4,165 Posts

Porsche's official numbers in the attached image, just for reference...

• 0 to 62 mph
  • 0 to 99 mph
  • 62 to 99 mph
  • 0 to ¼ mile
  • 0 to 1,000 meters
  • ¼ mile to 1,000 meters
Yup, this thread went just where the last one did, with f911 singing the praises and defending his Tip to the ends of the earth, and pretty much ignoring the quantitative data provided by anyone else.

Thanks for posting the actual statistics for the non S and S cars of both 997 generations - they show an even greater disparity than I recalled of more like half a second and that's more like what my Cayenne shift speed feels like even when controlling it manually.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Congratulations frankyluis23

The PDK is installed in newer DFI engines. More efficient engines. Therefore, it is impossible to compare PDK and TIPTRONIC S in terms of "performance capabilities".
Clearly PDK is faster and stronger. Also the DFI 3.8 engine is stronger.
In terms of "performance capabilities" there is no difference at all between 997.1 tiptronic s and 997.1 manual
About times - Differences of tenths of a second, see what I wrote above.
Lol, hp is hp and torque is torque whether the engine is DFI or M96/97.

Tiptronic has a torque converter and suffers from limitations inherent with torque converters such as some power bleeding and some hesitation in shifting. Some of this can be made up in gearing.

If tiptronic was faster than manual, Porsche would have installed them in the GT3s. Normally aspirated Tiptronic cars have always felt lethargic to me.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, hp is hp and torque is torque whether the engine is DFI or M96/97.

Tiptronic has a torque converter and suffers from limitations inherent with torque converters such as some power bleeding and some hesitation in shifting. Some of this can be made up in gearing.

If tiptronic was faster than manual, Porsche would have installed them in the GT3s. Normally aspirated Tiptronic cars have always felt lethargic to me.
In the past, before pdk, did not discredit the system of gears tip s. Although even then, there was a 997s tip s and a manual transmission system.
A little respect. Still - 911 - and Porsche knows what they are doing.

Read the post:
​​​​
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/173405-tiptronic-in-gt3-can-it-be-done.html
Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

In absolute terms, the 355 HP 3.8L Carrera S w/Tiptronic is a fast car - no question about that.

However, per Porsche, that car is slower than a 321 HP 3.6L base Carrera with a 6MT:

• Both time-to-speed and time-to-distance measurements
  • And intermediate times (e.g. 100 kph to 160 kph)

So in terms of straight line accelerative grunt, including a Tiptronic transmission effectively removes 35-40 hp from that 3.8L engine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 09-19-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 AM
f911
Racer

In absolute terms, the 355 HP 3.8L Carrera S w/Tiptronic is a fast car - no question about that.

However, per Porsche, that car is slower than a 321 HP 3.6L base Carrera with a 6MT:
  • Both time-to-speed and time-to-distance measurements
  • And intermediate times (e.g. 100 kph to 160 kph)

So in terms of straight line accelerative grunt, including a Tiptronic transmission effectively removes 35-40 hp from that 3.8L engine.

Right. But, take a look at the other side. 997.2 pdk is more powerful (30 hp) more technologically advanced and more lightweight and the difference is not significant.
In other words: in terms of Porsche, Tiptronic s 997.1 is considered to be fast in relation to time 2005-2008.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Discussed many times. Don't expect many replies, generally folks on here prefer Manual, and they even value them higher though the market on general does not.

I have had to buy one because of pain from pushing clutch issues. I do also enjoy having hands on wheel. You won't want to left foot brake though, if you do don't touch the accelerator, it will kill the throttle.

I have enjoyed both equally. Each has positives and negatives. It really is about personal choice. I wouldn't mind having one of each. There really isn't a right or wrong, or a better or worse.

Glad you are enjoying it. Drive long and prosper!!
Im going to disagree with you on one point. Used MT cars are carrying a higher ask price than Tip cars.

Tip VS MT is a personal choice depending on what your needs, wants are.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Im going to disagree with you on one point. Used MT cars are carrying a higher ask price than Tip cars.

Tip VS MT is a personal choice depending on what your needs, wants are.
Maybe not...not sure if you saw this thread I did. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...be-a-myth.html
Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Maybe not...not sure if you saw this thread I did. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...be-a-myth.html
yeah..I totally agree on your analysis. I pretty much think people who are not interested in purchasing Tip is mostly on this forum. Lots of people would only buy Tiptronic or ODK Porsche..

Quick Reply: Tiptronic S on 997.1 - Excellent transmission