Sonax Wheel Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:55 PM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sonax Wheel Cleaner

I had read on this forum about how good Sonax wheel cleaner is. I ordered
a bottle from Amazon. Today, used it on my wheels for the first time and was amazed at the results. I let it set for five minutes and then hose it off. Wheels were 90 clean and only required a little touch up. I highly recommend this product. (I have no affiliation with this company.)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:05 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always used Sonax till I tried this DUB stuff in link below. It is at Walmart and it is the exact same stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DUB-Devel...eaner/33080657
Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by millertimefl
I always used Sonax till I tried this DUB stuff in link below. It is at Walmart and it is the exact same stuff.

it is NOT the exact same stuff. Use your words.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Sonax works great. Used for years. Also have used Adams Wheel Cleaner, 1Z Einszett which is now known as Nextzett, and many others. P21S is also a great option on wheels where you are more concerned with the finish, like older wheels.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sonax is very good. There are many brake cleaning products nowadays that have the same "iron removal" capabilities and color change as Sonax, so select away. Are they identical -- no, but there are many that are so close (performance, safe for all wheel finishes, etc.) that price and availability might be the only important factors.

Me personally, I coated my wheels with Opti-Gloss so I never need anything besides water and carwash soap or rinseless wash to get my wheels sparkling. However, I do keep Sonax on hand for just in case scenarios.

PS: what in the world is "Pina Caliente" scent - LOL (from the DUB description)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by millertimefl

NOT the same stuff. This DUB branded cleaner doesn't state it's specifically PH Neutral which is one of the most important parts for a wheel cleaner. These wheel cleaners you can find at Autozone have acidic compounds which over time will cause your wheels to look like they're faded, but PH Neutral cleaners like the SONAX product cause no harm to the wheel finish.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:39 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
NOT the same stuff. This DUB branded cleaner doesn't state it's specifically PH Neutral which is one of the most important parts for a wheel cleaner. These wheel cleaners you can find at Autozone have acidic compounds which over time will cause your wheels to look like they're faded, but PH Neutral cleaners like the SONAX product cause no harm to the wheel finish.
While I've never used the DUB cleaner (like I mentioned, I use Sonax in the rare occasion I need a wheel cleaner), it is essentially pH neutral...7.36. Sonax is "7-8.5"

DUB MSDS http://www.meguiars.com/content/es/msds/U14%20SDS.pdf
Sonax MSDS http://www.servicebest.com/downloadable/1837512_EN.pdf

Just because it is sold in Autozone doesn't mean it is acidic or caustic, although many wheel cleaners are! So be an informed consumer especially if you have polished aluminum wheels or another sensitive finish.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TypeRx
While I've never used the DUB cleaner (like I mentioned, I use Sonax in the rare occasion I need a wheel cleaner), it is essentially pH neutral...7.36. Sonax is "7-8.5"

DUB MSDS http://www.meguiars.com/content/es/msds/U14%20SDS.pdf
Sonax MSDS http://www.servicebest.com/downloadable/1837512_EN.pdf
I stand corrected then!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
I stand corrected then!
Always better safe than sorry! Manufacturers are not very transparent on the chemicals they put in these cleaners, so have to seek it out at times.

But I tell you what, if I had a $5000+ set of wheels, you better believe I wouldn't cheap out on wheel cleaner. Sonax is good stuff. I am glad HRE educates their customers on proper wheel care. Best recommendation is to have the wheels coated (SiO2, "ceramic",etc. plenty of products out there) and they will always be easier to maintain.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:48 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Always better safe than sorry! Manufacturers are not very transparent on the chemicals they put in these cleaners, so have to seek it out at times.

But I tell you what, if I had a $5000+ set of wheels, you better believe I wouldn't cheap out on wheel cleaner. Sonax is good stuff. I am glad HRE educates their customers on proper wheel care. Best recommendation is to have the wheels coated (SiO2, "ceramic",etc. plenty of products out there) and they will always be easier to maintain.
Yeah I certainly agree, better safe than sorry. Since I'm not an expert myself I usually default to asking one of our dealers, Esoteric to see what the best of the best is, and they too recommended using protective coatings.

I have a bottle of Kamikaze Stance Rim Coat at home that I haven't used yet, but I've seen that stuff in action, and there's no doubt in my mind for any future wheel set I get, I'm putting that coating on. Makes life so much easier to maintain as you say, and that's a blessing especially considering wheel designs are getting more and more complex these days.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Someone said that Sonax and other iron removers do stain painted calipers over time...
Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Sounds like "fake news" to me!

Seriously, you can use it on your car paint with no damage - it will not damage painted calipers. I could see the potential for "staining" if used on very hot calipers and letting it dry, but that could happen with a myriad of chemicals.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:23 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

Love everything about sonax except the price! Always seems to go quick. Never had any staining problems with it personally, just spray on right before I get everything ready for cleaning, then wash it off when I do my rinse.

I did luck onto a gallon of it for $43 from Amazon shipped. Was a great deal. Should be good for a couple years between the two cars.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Sonax is the best and all I use.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

I use Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner mainly on my wife's Q5. It's the only cleaner that can get the very sticky Audi brake dust off the wheels. Marvelous stuff!

Quick Reply: Sonax Wheel Cleaner