997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sonax Wheel Cleaner

Old 09-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

For those of you who have tried both Plus and Full Effect, is Plus really "30% stronger & faster than Full Effect," as Sonax claims? If so, what would be the benefit of buying Full Effect over Plus? Just price?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So is Sonax so good you really don't need to touch the wheels? I watched their youtube video where the guy sprayed it on some Audi wheels and he used a pressure washer to get it off and still looked like they could have used some wiping down.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
So is Sonax so good you really don't need to touch the wheels? I watched their youtube video where the guy sprayed it on some Audi wheels and he used a pressure washer to get it off and still looked like they could have used some wiping down.
If you want your wheels to be truly clean you always will need to agitate them a bit with a brush, sponge/mitt, etc. The folks that are able to get away with just cleaner+pressure washer are not as picky, especially in the barrels.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx
If you want your wheels to be truly clean you always will need to agitate them a bit with a brush, sponge/mitt, etc. The folks that are able to get away with just cleaner+pressure washer are not as picky, especially in the barrels.
Agree. Works well for me but still need to hit up the nooks and crannies.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
If you have a good coating on the wheels, yeah you can just use a pressure washer no problem:

Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc66
I had read on this forum about how good Sonax wheel cleaner is. I ordered
a bottle from Amazon. Today, used it on my wheels for the first time and was amazed at the results. I let it set for five minutes and then hose it off. Wheels were 90 clean and only required a little touch up. I highly recommend this product. (I have no affiliation with this company.)
Do you know how long does the bottle last? or for how many cleans cant i be used?

I have used it couple of times, I spray all over the wheel but I don't see it as clean as you guys say. I have to still use a clean wipes to remove all dust. Am I missing something?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is the easiest out there. Started to use Chemical guys Diablo as well which did work very well, but felt needed to do a bit more of extra scrubbing than the Sonax. Although the smell of the CG is much nicer and doesn't make me feel like I am breathing in some exotic caustic chemical. But I will take the chemical smell for how it cleans the wheels, particularly the non -997 cars (which all suck so bad to get clean).

Keep an eye on Amazon. Got 1.3gal full effect for $58+tax.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
Do you know how long does the bottle last? or for how many cleans cant i be used?

I have used it couple of times, I spray all over the wheel but I don't see it as clean as you guys say. I have to still use a clean wipes to remove all dust. Am I missing something?
I feel I get 6 or so washes (24 tires or so) per bottle. Don't think I over do it. But it probably takes a dozen sprays for me to get the wheels, inner wheel and lug bolt holes coated.

Agree with the amazon recommendation. Can pick up a gallon for a good price intermittently.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:18 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
For those of you who have tried both Plus and Full Effect, is Plus really "30% stronger & faster than Full Effect," as Sonax claims? If so, what would be the benefit of buying Full Effect over Plus? Just price?
Was wondering the same and asked the shop that recently did some paint correction on my 911. They felt the Plus wasn't worth the extra cost when they used it compared to the regular Sonax.

As someone else mentioned, watch Amazon and you can pick up a big 169 oz jug for relatively cheap compared to the $15-20 per 16.9 oz bottles.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
I've used both on an Audi for years that saw street and track duty. Street wheels were uncoated paint. Track wheels were clear coated paint.
I mostly used Full Effect, because the Plus required scrubbing, which kind of defeated the purpose of having a spray cleaner.
Long term use of the Full Effect on the uncoated paint street wheels seemed to dull the paint just a tad. No issues with the track wheels.
The bigger problem was that it rusted/corroded the heck out of my Alcon brake bleeder nipples.
So be careful. The Full Effect is strong!!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
I've used both on an Audi for years that saw street and track duty. Street wheels were uncoated paint. Track wheels were clear coated paint.
I mostly used Full Effect, because the Plus required scrubbing, which kind of defeated the purpose of having a spray cleaner.
Long term use of the Full Effect on the uncoated paint street wheels seemed to dull the paint just a tad. No issues with the track wheels.
The bigger problem was that it rusted/corroded the heck out of my Alcon brake bleeder nipples.
So be careful. The Full Effect is strong!!
The paint fading and caliper parts corrosion is what I heard before and posted above...
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's wrong with car-soap and water, with a nice soft sponge or mitt?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sonax Wheel Cleaner