Sponsored by:

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVEW3765
Hi all. So, My car has been at the dealership for the past week. I had them do compression. Scope for bore scoring and changed out the plugs, right bank o2 sensor. Then finally they checked the cats. Up to the cats everything is great with the car. oil consumption was misdiagnosed by none other than me! She gonna be bad when i get her back!
Another 'the sky is falling thread'. People will search this one for years, read the 1st page and cry foul, missing the 3rd page where finally it is unveiled that all was for naught.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 PM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Another 'the sky is falling thread'. People will search this one for years, read the 1st page and cry foul, missing the 3rd page where finally it is unveiled that all was for naught.
Preach it Rev! if i was in with a MOD i would tell them to delete this thread. I realize I have cost time to whom ever commented here. Please except my apologies. As, I am sure I will blow up the forum with more BS. at a later date...Maybe keep the pics. Those are always cool...
Old 09-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Ascetic
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait, so it was a bad oil level sensor?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep an eye on it. I went through all of this. Search my name and find my consumption thread. They changed my AOS and I still had high consumption. They finally scoped and found cylinder 1 was scored.

I got a new engine as I was still under CPO. With they new engine, it has been a year and have put no oil in other than an oil change after burn in.

Hope this all works out for you.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
Keep an eye on it. I went through all of this. Search my name and find my consumption thread. They changed my AOS and I still had high consumption. They finally scoped and found cylinder 1 was scored.

I got a new engine as I was still under CPO. With they new engine, it has been a year and have put no oil in other than an oil change after burn in.

Hope this all works out for you.
As I predicted, this thread of a non-existing issue has a life of its own.

GOPIRATES: see post #45 above.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi all. So, My car has been at the dealership for the past week. I had them do compression. Scope for bore scoring and changed out the plugs, right bank o2 sensor. Then finally they checked the cats. Up to the cats everything is great with the car. oil consumption was misdiagnosed by none other than me! She gonna be bad when i get her back!
Ok , how did you mis diagnose top level to bottom level in 300 miles? Did you take initial and final readings at different car angles and only one time? You are suppose to be level and you should take then in the same place location so that tye angle is the same. I have seen a 1 bar difference on different inclines but not full high to low change. Your mamma should spank you lol
Old 09-24-2017, 11:38 AM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's start another oil thread. See where it goes...
Old 09-24-2017, 03:15 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 894 Posts

Let's start another oil thread. See where it goes...
Use olive oil, it works the best!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 PM
minion
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Long time listener, first time poster here.

I think this thread makes a decent point. I'm new to the whole 997 scene, recently bought an 05 3.6 Carrera and I'm getting used to it. On the surface it seems that i'm having a similar issue- second guessing the oil level.

According to the first 4 ticks on the digital scale my car will go from 1 notch below max to the last "blinking" notch in about 450km. Seems like a very high consumption rate to me.

After reading over this thread i decided to let the oil sit at the lowest level before topping off until some sort of low oil warning was given to me. Thus far I've covered another 500km and its been still sitting steady at this lowest level. Does this make sense to anyone? has my "high" consumption magically stopped? The car pulls strong, idles well, no awful ticking or clattering noises. it does smoke like champ in the mornings for about 2-3 seconds from the LHS exhaust. (much worse if I park on my driveway nose up, much less if I park nose down). Both exhausts are nicely carboned up. FWIW its currently filled with 5W-40.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by minion
Long time listener, first time poster here.

I think this thread makes a decent point. I'm new to the whole 997 scene, recently bought an 05 3.6 Carrera and I'm getting used to it. On the surface it seems that i'm having a similar issue- second guessing the oil level.

According to the first 4 ticks on the digital scale my car will go from 1 notch below max to the last "blinking" notch in about 450km. Seems like a very high consumption rate to me.

After reading over this thread i decided to let the oil sit at the lowest level before topping off until some sort of low oil warning was given to me. Thus far I've covered another 500km and its been still sitting steady at this lowest level. Does this make sense to anyone? has my "high" consumption magically stopped? The car pulls strong, idles well, no awful ticking or clattering noises. it does smoke like champ in the mornings for about 2-3 seconds from the LHS exhaust. (much worse if I park on my driveway nose up, much less if I park nose down). Both exhausts are nicely carboned up. FWIW its currently filled with 5W-40.
Rather than ignoring the blinking low oil warning you're getting and continuing to drive the car, possibly with significant risk of damaging your motor from it being low on oil, if you're getting erroneous readings from the gauge, you really should do a drain of the oil and measure the volume you get out to know weather the gauge is acting up or if you're truly low on oil, especially since you're seeing smoking on start-up, which neither of my cars do. Assuming 1/2 qt remains in the filter, if you're close to full, you should get about 8 measurable quarts out (listed capacity is higher, but you can't get it all drained for various reasons).

Prior to installing the 1.2L deep sump onto one of my cars, both of them would require exactly 8.5 quarts during an oil change with filter replacement I do use a metal canister filter though with the LN spin-on oil filter adapter). I would fill with 8 quarts then over the next few mornings, check the level with the gauge, adding no more than 1/4 quart each day until I got 2 days in a row at the full arrow, which always turned out to be an extra 1/2 quart. You might need to adjust these volumes by 1/4 quart since I don't think the OEM plastic filter housing holds the same capacity as the spin on M1-107 or K&N 1007 filters.

Using this information, you should get about 7 3/4 quarts out of the car if you leave the filter alone. If you get way less than this, you're gauge is reasonably accurate and you have an engine issue. If you get about this amount your oil level sender needs to be replaced. You might also want to send a sample of the oil you drain out to someone for a used oil analysis to see what kind of metals and at what levels it contains.

If the oil was changed in the last 3,000 miles or sooner, you can just put back in what you drain out after measuring it, assuming your catch containers are good and clean, otherwise change the filter too, adjust the volumes to include the amount in the filter and refill with new.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 270 Posts

Switch to Motul. You won't burn a drop.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption