997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Did the same focal upgrade as Petza in my old 997.1 using ryanm's speaker upgrade thread on 6speedonline. That thread touches upon the SPP models and how they are the same speaker wise except for the rear subwoofers which are missing in non BOSE. The thread on 6speed discusses how the speakers are powered, which is a mix of head unit and the AMP. Can't recall off the top of my head.

Currently upgrading my non Bose 997.2 C4S. Did the rear speakers which are the same as outlined above and over on 6 speed. Found information on the SPP which I attached showing speaker sizes. Monday will likely replace the door and dash speakers/tweeters. Went with Focal as recommended in 6 speed and also what I used last time. May replace the amp but that would be down the line.
In the 997.1 Bose cars, everything but the rear sub box is powered by the Bose amp up front. The rear sub box gets a low level output and has an integrated amp in the box between the low level input and the actual subwoofers. I upgraded the amp to a higher power Alpine and used Focal Utopia speakers in the box.

My DIY and impressions write-up is attached.
Attached Images
Old 01-18-2019, 02:15 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
In the 997.1 Bose cars, everything but the rear sub box is powered by the Bose amp up front. The rear sub box gets a low level output and has an integrated amp in the box between the low level input and the actual subwoofers. I upgraded the amp to a higher power Alpine and used Focal Utopia speakers in the box.

My DIY and impressions write-up is attached.
Yes. I meant to say on the sound package plus its a mix. Late night in hospital. Will amend my previous post.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:09 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes. I meant to say on the sound package plus its a mix. Late night in hospital. Will amend my previous post.
I actually have a 991, but I figured the systems were similar when I first started researching. I was wrong. In the 991 with SPP, all of the speakers are powered by the ASK amp. Go figure!
I'm going to drop some Focal IS-8 and Focal ISN-100's in the doors & up front for the tweeters & see how it goes. That's $450 bucks, and everything I want to do with an amp replacement approaches $3k really quickly...

Last edited by flgfish; 05-21-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

This is awesome. I love how much time and love you put into all of your cars. Any considering this type of upgrades should also consider scan speak drivers. Amazing drivers for all budgets including those they demand the best regardless of price.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flgfish
I actually have a 991, but I figured the systems were similar when I first started researching. I was wrong. In the 991 with SPP, all of the speakers are powered by the ASK amp. Go figure!
I'm going to drop some Focal IS-8 and Focal ISN-100's in the doors & up front for the tweeters & see how it goes. That's $450 bucks, and everything I want to do with an amp replacement approaches $3k really quickly...
Same here. Replacing speakers and we shall see how it sounds. May pick up a BOSE rear sub to use as a box for some speakers if I get the bug later.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:08 AM
flgfish
Pro

Same here. Replacing speakers and we shall see how it sounds. May pick up a BOSE rear sub to use as a box for some speakers if I get the bug later.
I actually ordered a Helix V Eight DSP amp, and sent most of the speakers back without installng. I did upgrade the tweeters to some Dayton Audio tweeters, which sound much, much better than the stock ones. I was so impressed with the DA tweeter upgrade, I ordered some DA 4" drivers, the ISS-200 8" woofers, some larger DA tweeters, and some 4" DA coaxials for the rear (for rear fill). I'll leave the center unhooked, and the 8-channel Helix amp with DSP will give me a ton of flexibility to tune & play with the setup. It should fun!

At this point, the long tent in the pole is waiting on the Burmester grills to show up from Suncoast (they're coming from Germany, apparently). So i'm just amassing gear & twiddling my thumbs!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:48 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flgfish
I actually ordered a Helix V Eight DSP amp, and sent most of the speakers back without installng. I did upgrade the tweeters to some Dayton Audio tweeters, which sound much, much better than the stock ones. I was so impressed with the DA tweeter upgrade, I ordered some DA 4" drivers, the ISS-200 8" woofers, some larger DA tweeters, and some 4" DA coaxials for the rear (for rear fill). I'll leave the center unhooked, and the 8-channel Helix amp with DSP will give me a ton of flexibility to tune & play with the setup. It should fun!

At this point, the long tent in the pole is waiting on the Burmester grills to show up from Suncoast (they're coming from Germany, apparently). So i'm just amassing gear & twiddling my thumbs!
I bought a focal tweeter pair to put one in the center channel. Have an extra one if you want to put in the center channel.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:04 AM
flgfish
Pro

I bought a focal tweeter pair to put one in the center channel. Have an extra one if you want to put in the center channel.
Thanks!
I am actually going to be out of amp channels. 8 channels, and 8 planned speakers at this point. Nothing to drive the center with at this point.
(I'll have 2 unused Focal tweeters that came with my ISS-200s though, in case you can do something with three tweeters )
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Would love to do a speaker upgrade in my 997.2 Cabriolet with BOSE. But, my sub is in the passenger footwell and I don't know where to start with the rest. Does anyone have information on upgrading a cabriolet? Picture is my car, but it's just for attention.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Would love to do a speaker upgrade in my 997.2 Cabriolet with BOSE. But, my sub is in the passenger footwell and I don't know where to start with the rest. Does anyone have information on upgrading a cabriolet? Picture is my car, but it's just for attention.

That's a really pretty car.

To change the speakers, you don't need to replace the primary Bose amp, just replace the speakers and if the Sub is a problem where it's located, just leave the stock sub in place. Where is the amp for the sub located in a cab and what does the sub actually look like - is it a box where you can find a compact sub to replace what's in the box after also upgrading the amp with one of the small alpine units? In a coupe, the subs aren't driven by the main bose amp - they get a regular signal and have their own compact amp in the sub enclosure, but I don't know what the cab setup looks like.

Might find something of interest here too - https://www.billjehle.com/PORSCHE/index.html
Old 06-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's a really pretty car.

To change the speakers, you don't need to replace the primary Bose amp, just replace the speakers and if the Sub is a problem where it's located, just leave the stock sub in place. Where is the amp for the sub located in a cab and what does the sub actually look like - is it a box where you can find a compact sub to replace what's in the box after also upgrading the amp with one of the small alpine units? In a coupe, the subs aren't driven by the main bose amp - they get a regular signal and have their own compact amp in the sub enclosure, but I don't know what the cab setup looks like.
Thanks, I think so, too. The sub enclosure is in the passenger footwell, under the dash, adjoining the center tunnel. I can only guess until I take it apart, but I think that there is one sub with an integrated amp. I've been wrong before, but it's not that big an enclosure. I will probably start with stock-sized speakers for the doors, rear seats, and dash.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:01 PM
Nathan Jackson
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum gave me a lot of good tips while upgrading my sound system. I went with the focal ISS 8" component set and Focal RCX 4" auditors front/rear. I also put in a new jvc/kenwood double din head unit with wireless android auto/carplay. took me about 17 hours straight, start to finish in one day. Also added a backup camera. My car doesn't have a factory subwoofer so i thought i would spend extra on the 8" woofers. the sound is very balanced with a surprising amount of bass. Even on relatively low bass settings. Dont waste your time/money with the Boom Mat. It basically creates a vacuum behind the speaker and the cone cant move to produce the bass. I tried it on the first door i worked on and there was literally no bass. I could see the woofer wasn't moving at all. I loosened the speaker screws a bit to let air in and the woofer then worked as it should. In my install, every lined wire was the negative. I tested this based how the factory speakers were hooked up with a 9v battery to see which way the cone would pop.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you use any spacers or other mounting components for the 8" drivers in the doors?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM
Nathan Jackson
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BF951
Did you use any spacers or other mounting components for the 8" drivers in the doors?
Yes. I used 3/4 MDF. I traced the factory mount out and cut it with a scroll saw. Then I put a quick coat of black spray paint on there. The MDF was only $5 at home Depot for 12" x 48". The ISS 200 component set came with in line crossovers. I used those for the tweeters, but not the woofers. Additionally I soldered all speakers. I don't like plugs.
​​​​​
Old 05-24-2020, 11:08 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

How different is a 7.2S with Bose? I know the PCM to be different. All I want is a speaker, maybe amp, upgrade. But now with all the goodies out there, and my limitations with the PCM in regards to Apple/Android compatibility I'm thinking head unit.....down the line. Camaro' s in for upholstery ($$$) and still have wheel issues...but planning.

Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade