987 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

ROFL at comment about tracking 997's

I tracked my 997.2 - Was a GREAT CAR.

Never overheats - never had brake fade to extent of any real concern - limiting factor always been the tires and me as a driver .

I've moved on to the 991.1 - Far superior platform all around.

The 997 platform is still good (far more forgiving than a c6 corvette z06).

BS comment about advance track days -
See 997 thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rack-days.html
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think the .2 cars are better if you want an automatic transmission. PDK is a huge improvement over Tiptronic. If you want a 6MT, then the .1 cars are worthy of serious consideration.
I completely agree with you on that. This was something I discovered early on when I was buying my 996TT. The automatic was very disappointing compared to the later PDK's in the 997.2 turbo's. Although PDK would be nice, I think manual is what I'm looking at for the most part.

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
When I was shopping for a P-car, I was facing the same issue. HOWEVER, I thought if I bought the Cayman I may have had an occasional 'should I have got the 911?' question in my head.

I bought the 911, and I've never asked myself 'Should I have got the Cayman instead?'

Happy hunting!
BINGO! That's exactly what it boils down to, "sure, the Cayman is a well balanced car, but the 911 is....well, a 911"

Hands down that will be me :/

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
cayman platform is easily superior to the 911. Additionally, if you intend on really beating the car or tracking it, I'd much rather have a 987.2 cayman vs. a 997.1 911. The m96/m97 is junk from top to bottom.

I have 2 911s and 1 early boxster, and I'm convinced that the boxster is the better performance car platform.
The 987 platform sure is more balanced, but are the DFI motors really that much more superior/sophisticated? I don't intend on tracking the car, I have a Caterham for track days that works when it feels like it

Originally Posted by kisik
"cayman platform is easily superior to the 911. Additionally, if you intend on really beating the car or tracking it, I'd much rather have a 987.2 cayman vs. a 997.1 911. The m96/m97 is junk from top to bottom"

He is not going to track his car. Also please be careful with slogan. I would'n call M97 with more then 250 track days without a single glitch a junk. Cayman R is easier to drive then 997 but this is not the point. Some people like more engaging and problem solving/tuning.
I agree, that was the whole point of owning an old air-cooled Porsche like my '82 SC. Such a finicky car and I loved that about it. Same with my '02 M5. Something always sets off the SES light and it's a riot trying to go after the culprit...but thats partly why you like the car in the first place.

And no tracking for the Porsche, as mentioned above I have a Caterham I track occasionally, whenever it feels like working properly.

Originally Posted by 3Series
If you have to ask, go for the 911. The 911 has a better motor and back seats. Even if you don't use the back seats, it makes the car more "airy" and less claustrophobic.

I'm not sure what you mean, but there are plenty of 997's at "advanced" track events.
Especially having owned two past 911's, I think you're absolutely correct. Back seats in both my SC and my 996TT were very handy as you could toss your briefcase and coat in there and still not have to access the frunk/take up your front passenger seat.

Originally Posted by JABowders
I'm also new to Porsche ownership, mine being my 6th entry to my four wheel stable. I'm a pedals over paddles guy. Yea, I see the numbers and the newest PDK can shift faster and the ultimate 0 - 100 is quicker than with the manual transmission. I just prefer the overall driving experience from my antiquated old school clutch and gated shifter (years ago I REALLY wanted a 911 with the sequential transmission). I really like my '05 997 C2. Sure it has some things I would rather not have things like a sunroof and I have always felt that electric seats were a waste of money, plus adds unnecessary weight to the car, and it lacks a AUX connector that will cost about $150 to put in.

I'm very happy with my choice and enjoy driving it.

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting it out on track for a HPDE event soon.

Mien Stuttgart Reinauto
Pedals over paddles, I like that!! Good luck with your C2

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
The 911 will always be the classic, to me anyways.
Nope, I agree...the 911 will always be the classic. The Cayman COULD have been a classic if Porsche stuck to a mid-engine layout since the 914.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:25 PM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snake eyes
ROFL at comment about tracking 997's

I tracked my 997.2 - Was a GREAT CAR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tApRniuGUw

Never overheats - never had brake fade to extent of any real concern - limiting factor always been the tires and me as a driver .

I've moved on to the 991.1 - Far superior platform all around.

The 997 platform is still good (far more forgiving than a c6 corvette z06).

BS comment about advance track days -
See 997 thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rack-days.html
Awesome vid! I've been to Hallet once about a year ago with my buddy's ZR1. Great track. Wish we had something similar closer to me.

Digging the black 997.1 in front of you. Tires are always the limiting factor on any track car. I occasionally take my M4 Competition Package to the track and currently run PS4's on it and so far no complaints. I have carbon brakes on the car so definitely no brake fade, but can't imagine the steelies on the 997 to fade out either.

Thanks for the thread link btw.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:19 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either car would be a great choice, but it boils down to this.... Will you be happy with a Cayman or will you always be thinking that what you really wanted was a 911.

You posted this question on a 911 forum so you can probably guess how most people here would answer the question.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

No one should get a 911 when searching for the best balanced car. Get a mid-engine if you seek that. For the 911 fan it's its quirky dynamics that make it unique; either you understand and like that, or not. Driven properly, the 911 is perfectly balanced - emphasis on properly driven - and do not take my word for it, listen to the 911 master:

The following users liked this post:
SyG21 (06-02-2024)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Gfxbt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 2006 Boxster S in April 2015. I really wanted a 911, but didn't want to spend the money. The 987 was awesome - manual sport seats, sport shifter, sport chrono, PASM, sport steering wheel (basically everything but PSE). Great car.

The problem was is that I bought it because I didn't want to spend the money required to get a 911.

I sold the 987 in April 2016. I bought a 2006 C2S in July 2016 (took awhile to find a good, clean, Guards Red car with the right options).

Long story short, don't buy the 987 if it feels like you're settling. You'll always be disappointed, and that's not a great way to feel about your Porsche.

However, if I could buy my Boxster back I would. I'd love to have a mid-engined roadster and the 911 in the garage. Boxster was an awesome car. I wouldn't say the 911 is better. Different, but not necessarily better.
The following users liked this post:
Hillsberger (05-17-2023)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Owned at least 20+, perhaps 30ish, 911s throughout the years of all types and varieties. Even purchased a CGT new, but have never owned a Boxter or a Cayman. Driven plenty of them, but never once purchased one or got serious about purchasing one.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by braymond52
Either car would be a great choice, but it boils down to this.... Will you be happy with a Cayman or will you always be thinking that what you really wanted was a 911.

You posted this question on a 911 forum so you can probably guess how most people here would answer the question.
Exactly why I posted this on the 997 forum I know they're both great cars, but a 911 is always a 911. And thats why every time I get in it, until I'm able to have both in the garage, I'll be thinking that I really wanted a 911.

Originally Posted by ADias
No one should get a 911 when searching for the best balanced car. Get a mid-engine if you seek that. For the 911 fan it's its quirky dynamics that make it unique; either you understand and like that, or not. Driven properly, the 911 is perfectly balanced - emphasis on properly driven - and do not take my word for it, listen to the 911 master:

https://youtu.be/eb416XlcojU
This is exactly why I bought my '82 SC over a Boxter and my 996TT over a Cayman S a few years ago. Driving a 911 is an experience like no other.

Originally Posted by Gfxbt
I bought a 2006 Boxster S in April 2015. I really wanted a 911, but didn't want to spend the money. The 987 was awesome - manual sport seats, sport shifter, sport chrono, PASM, sport steering wheel (basically everything but PSE). Great car.

The problem was is that I bought it because I didn't want to spend the money required to get a 911.

I sold the 987 in April 2016. I bought a 2006 C2S in July 2016 (took awhile to find a good, clean, Guards Red car with the right options).

Long story short, don't buy the 987 if it feels like you're settling. You'll always be disappointed, and that's not a great way to feel about your Porsche.

However, if I could buy my Boxster back I would. I'd love to have a mid-engined roadster and the 911 in the garage. Boxster was an awesome car. I wouldn't say the 911 is better. Different, but not necessarily better.
Very good point. I think the 911 is the first buy, the Cayman will be second, especially when DFI prices will smooth out (maybe?)

I recently checked out an insanely specced 2008 Cayman S with 15k miles, now sold. But it had a $92k sticker price. Every option possible, aero kit, Sport Chrono, PASM, extended seats, guards red dials, chrono gauge, seat belts, painted trim/headlight washers, lobster wheels painted black, etc.. Car was listed at $38k. For that price I could be in a well sorted 997 C2S, not AS highly optioned, but still.

Originally Posted by Doug H
Owned at least 20+, perhaps 30ish, 911s throughout the years of all types and varieties. Even purchased a CGT new, but have never owned a Boxter or a Cayman. Driven plenty of them, but never once purchased one or got serious about purchasing one.
Wow! Take it from a CGT owner! In 2014 I bought an '07 LP640 with the gated manual, maybe 29 in the country if not worldwide...yet the Cayman was still an option
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Okay okay, so now that that's settled....C2 or C2S?

To be honest that's probably the biggest dilemma for me...I've driven both, they're both great. Any reason to lean towards the non-S over the S? (or vice versa)

Options matter over miles for me. Ideally it would have Sport Chrono, PASM, extended seats, and nicer wheels.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
"cayman platform is easily superior to the 911. Additionally, if you intend on really beating the car or tracking it, I'd much rather have a 987.2 cayman vs. a 997.1 911. The m96/m97 is junk from top to bottom"

He is not going to track his car. Also please be careful with slogan. I would'n call M97 with more then 250 track days without a single glitch a junk. Cayman R is easier to drive then 997 but this is not the point. Some people like more engaging and problem solving/tuning.
Firstly, while your motor may not have dumped its contents on the track, its merely an anecdote compared to the statistics of failure on this terrible design. 29 freaking modes of failure. stupid aos, terrible thermostat location, etc etc. is just crap.

2ndly, the 911 is not more engaging, its just harder to drive well. most people arent good enough to maximize the 987 chassis, much less a 911
Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AfroThunder

Wow! Take it from a CGT owner! In 2014 I bought an '07 LP640 with the gated manual, maybe 29 in the country if not worldwide...yet the Cayman was still an option
I am just a 911 guy to the core. Love my Italians as well, but nothing beats a 911 as an all around car.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had my current 997.1 for just over a year and love it. Prior to this, I had a Cayman S for 1.5 years. Unlike the majority of the people in this forum, I preferred driving the Cayman over the 911.

Drive both and try not to let those "it has to be a 911 or it's not a real Porsche" people influence your decision.

Good luck
Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

987 nice. I started looking there but wound up in 997 as it roomier, more interesting to drive and looked better. At 6"4 a cayman was too tight.

911 is a fine track car too.

I
Old 08-30-2017, 10:29 PM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffm
I've had my current 997.1 for just over a year and love it. Prior to this, I had a Cayman S for 1.5 years. Unlike the majority of the people in this forum, I preferred driving the Cayman over the 911.

Drive both and try not to let those "it has to be a 911 or it's not a real Porsche" people influence your decision.

Good luck
Jeff, thanks for your input! Definitely agree - I hate the stigma of "if it's not a 911 it's not a Porsche" myself, which I experienced firsthand with my very first Porsche, a 1974 914...probably the second most knocked on Porsche next to the 924

I'm curious though, why do you say you enjoy the Cayman S over the 997? I've driven countless variants of the 997 as well as both gens of the Cayman (both the 2.7 and 3.4) and can't really get out of the car saying "boy, I'd rather drive this over the other". The 911 definitely has it's legacy and looks, and the Cayman has it's balance and unique mid-engine layout (which I love, I've owned an Elise and an Evora...both of which were nightmares)

Speaking of which....WHY on earth is the Cayman so relatively inexpensive compared to the dinky Elise?? I can call it dinky because I've owned one and experienced the horror of it firsthand
Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AfroThunder
Jeff, thanks for your input! Definitely agree - I hate the stigma of "if it's not a 911 it's not a Porsche" myself, which I experienced firsthand with my very first Porsche, a 1974 914...probably the second most knocked on Porsche next to the 924

I'm curious though, why do you say you enjoy the Cayman S over the 997? I've driven countless variants of the 997 as well as both gens of the Cayman (both the 2.7 and 3.4) and can't really get out of the car saying "boy, I'd rather drive this over the other". The 911 definitely has it's legacy and looks, and the Cayman has it's balance and unique mid-engine layout (which I love, I've owned an Elise and an Evora...both of which were nightmares)

Speaking of which....WHY on earth is the Cayman so relatively inexpensive compared to the dinky Elise?? I can call it dinky because I've owned one and experienced the horror of it firsthand
Elise? I bought a new Elise for instructing from 2006 through 2009 as my track/cup cars did not have second seats. The Elise was an absolute joy to drive although I did drop another 180 pounds off with lexan window, carbon fibre clam, not cats, titanium Stage II exhaust, super light weight wheels and rotors had Ohlins and ran it on slicks . . .I could run circles around guys in 911s in that thing.

I killed 3 transmissions (2nd gear synchros) and blew the heck out of an engine on the highway. The Lotus rep in Atlanta with the Australian sounding accent, cannot remember his name, hated me.

The 911 has plenty and handles just fine for the street. Cannot imagine most would be approaching or can even drive at or near the limits of either car on track, much less the street. I teethed on club racing 911 SCs back in the mid 80s so the modern day 911s drive like a dream to me as does any car that you don't have to trail brake like a demon to get the fronts to turn in.

Last edited by Doug H; 08-31-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 987 vs 997