Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will definitely get a dme report. Will be curious how the insurance co responds if it's been over revved but no obvious sign of damage right now. Or what about damaged syncros? Or feathered tires?

I'll send updated posts as this wraps up.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM
TMats
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Glad they found it. Hoping for the best. 🤞🏼
Old 08-20-2017, 09:01 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ervin881
Will definitely get a dme report. Will be curious how the insurance co responds if it's been over revved but no obvious sign of damage right now. Or what about damaged syncros? Or feathered tires?

I'll send updated posts as this wraps up.
Just me but I would probably flatbed the car to whoever will do the inspection with the mileage noted and witnessed when they pick it up.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:42 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice sandwedge. I didn't think of that, but going to do it.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:04 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Lexus SUV stolen once and it was recovered. They took some of my personal stuff, and the car had a lot of trash in it and some drug paraphernalia, but still in ok shape. I still have it and was very fortunate.

Now, my 997 lives in my garage along with most of yours. I installed a camera called Arlo (no affiliation) in my garage. It has a sound and motion detector and it immediately notifies me by email or push notification. It is very slick. I also have it on my front door, back door and in several other places. There is no fee for 7 day storage in the cloud.

Anyway, it is not a perfect solution but better than nothing, and i am going to fix my garage door release tomorrow because of this thread. Very appreciative of your willingness to help us all out.

I am hoping the good Karma works in your favor and nothing is wrong with your vehicle.

Best of luckl
Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I will reiterate what someone else said earlier--open houses do not sell homes. They attract people who have nothing better to do and who like to look at houses--and the occasional thief. In fact, the efficacy of open houses is inversely proportional to the cost of the house. The higher the price, the less likely that a real buyer will go to the open house and the more likely that the place will be filled with looky-loos and people with malicious intent.

Anyone who is interested in looking at an expensive house will make an appointment and see it on their own time, with a realtor.
Really depends on the market...down here in Orange County, CA open houses definitely help to sell homes. That's how I've been able to double end almost 10 listings in the past 3 years.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Really depends on the market...down here in Orange County, CA open houses definitely help to sell homes. That's how I've been able to double end almost 10 listings in the past 3 years.
Was gonna mention same thing. Definitely market dependent. My neighbor had an open house this weekend and got 23 offers.

But this thread has shown I will definitely be taking my car keys with me if we ever sell. Should I take the good art down and hide the stereo, I'll worry about that one later.

Glad the op gets his car back. Hope it's all a-ok.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm not sure if that's good news or not. I'd definitely pull an overrev report as part of the condition assessment. Good luck and I hope all is OK.
Congrats and, or, Im sorry.

Yea, pull an over rev report and do a full PPI If possible.

At the end of the day, glad they caught the scumbag.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You missed the post, two above yours, by one hour. Car was found.
Yep. Missed that. Frankly I'm surprised. The theft read like a professional job and generally the cars don't remain around in the area. Especially if the theft is near a major shipping port.

Hope the OP finds all that is wrong is the fuel tank is low of fuel and he can put this behind him.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:03 AM
extanker
Banned

if the adjuster doesn't fall for the old syncros/feathered tires/over rev/ims/ leather wrapped sun visors try the mona lisa in the trunk claim .......he could use a laugh
Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

Get the car thoroughly searched, chances are drugs could be in it still. Under the seat or caught in a crevice. I would get the police to get a drug dog to give a sniffer test. Could be weapons stashed in it too.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:13 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DC911S
Get the car thoroughly searched, chances are drugs could be in it still. Under the seat or caught in a crevice. I would get the police to get a drug dog to give a sniffer test. Could be weapons stashed in it too.
Thats a really good idea. I can see it now, "I swear officer, I have no idea how that meth ended up under my seat!"

The thief wasnt a pro. A pro would have let the car sit for a few days and see if a lojack alerted police. If no heat, then pick it up, strip it and move on to the next one.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Would this theft history show up in Carfax even if nothing was damaged? If yes, then I would take a ton of picture, video, and police report, to prove to the next potential buyer that the car came back without being in a wreck or gutted for parts.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

interesting

I would have thought it would never turn up again

or only in parts
Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Definitely take it to a 3rd party for inspection. If they find drug residue, this will save your bacon later if you get pulled over and popped for drugs. If this were to occur, you are facing Civil Asset Forfeiture and more.

I would even consider getting the dealer inspection notarized as it may be your get of jail free card sometime.

Quick Reply: Car stolen