Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...

This will be the only time I'll change the oil in my 997.2, I will be getting rid of the car long before it's due for it's next change.

So far I had to buy:
-36mm socket, $20
-Disposable gloves, $10 (I only have cloth mechanic gloves)
-Filter, $20 (going to get oem from dealer nearby)
-Funnel, $2
-Oil, $45
-Oil collector/container, $40
-Gas spent driving around everywhere getting these parts, $10

So I'm basically at $150.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Just got mine done for $160 at an independent
Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by keinmitleid
This will be the only time I'll change the oil in my 997.2, I will be getting rid of the car long before it's due for it's next change.

So far I had to buy:
-36mm socket, $20
-Funnel, $2
-Oil, $45

You should be able to source a catch pan for at least half that..... but, I recommend you not take on this job. I am sensing a bad attitude.

To tackle these DIY jobs, you need to attack the task with reckless, hedonistic, abandon..... Look forward to spilling blood from gnashed knuckles.... taking way to much time and having your spouse angry for days.... drinking too much beer before, during, and after the procedure.... and better than all, bragging to your friends and anyone who will listen how you drained seven point nine.... yep seven point nine hot, burning, quarts of fiery hell from a precision German instrument.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You should be able to source a catch pan for at least half that..... but, I recommend you not take on this job. I am sensing a bad attitude.

To tackle these DIY jobs, you need to attack the task with reckless, hedonistic, abandon..... Look forward to spilling blood from gnashed knuckles.... taking way to much time and having your spouse angry for days.... drinking too much beer before, during, and after the procedure.... and better than all, bragging to your friends and anyone who will listen how you drained seven point nine.... yep seven point nine hot, burning, quarts of fiery hell from a precision German instrument.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
haha. I am a very pessimistic person by nature, so there's that.

I managed to remove the mufflers and install a center pipe last time with zero knuckle damage *pats self on back*.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

What are the gloves for?

And the funnel? The oil filler tube pulls out..

As for the pan, you don't need one. Just drain into your local green peace chapter parking lot.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:30 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by keinmitleid

So far I had to buy:
-36mm socket, $20
-Funnel, $2
-Oil, $45

FWIW, most of that is reusable for any car's oil change, so the only things that are really "cost" are the oil and the filter (and maybe gas, but Amazon with free shipping would have covered that, so I see it as elective).

So you are out ~$65 bucks in actual cost for an oil change, and the rest is sunk / investment. I still think you are in the black overall - and will continue to be in the black every oil change after this one.

Just my $0.02

-td
Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Misshe11
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't get this?

I paid like $80 at a local valvoline shop (synthetic was more but I had a $10 off coupon!), got the filter at an auto zone for $8...

Sure the dealership is nice and you can get yourself a nice free espresso and bottled water but really?

Am I missing some special thing they do here besides drain out the old oil and put new oil back in there?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:33 PM
SLVRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Misshe11
I don't get this?

I paid like $80 at a local valvoline shop (synthetic was more but I had a $10 off coupon!), got the filter at an auto zone for $8...

Sure the dealership is nice and you can get yourself a nice free espresso and bottled water but really?

Am I missing some special thing they do here besides drain out the old oil and put new oil back in there?
Of course you are not factoring in the 'value' of bonding with your car when you change your own oil
Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
FWIW, most of that is reusable for any car's oil change, so the only things that are really "cost" are the oil and the filter (and maybe gas, but Amazon with free shipping would have covered that, so I see it as elective).

So you are out ~$65 bucks in actual cost for an oil change, and the rest is sunk / investment. I still think you are in the black overall - and will continue to be in the black every oil change after this one.

Just my $0.02

-td
Agreed, oil changes only cost me $50 in oil (2 5qt jugs at Wallmart of Mobile 1 synthetic) + $10 filter (buy online).

$60 because I already had everything else I needed.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I buy my Mobil 1's whenever they have a $12 rebate (on 5 quart). So here is my cost:

8 QT catch pan at Dollar tree = $1.08 (including tax).
36 mm socket rented from Autozone = $0
Filter from Ebay: $14
10 Quarts of Mobil 1 at Walmart [$24.8 x 2]-$12 x 2 rebates = $25.60
Oil Funnel, I cut the top portion of an ordinary 2 liter soda bottle = $0
Oil Container. I got mine free from the city when you turn in used oil = $0
No stinking glove needed, I have grass in my yard= $0
I dump the oil and rent the socket (Autozone) on my way to work so no extra gas is needed.

Total: $39.60 the first time or $38.52 there after.
Total time spent: 30 Min of which 20 minutes is spent waiting for the oil to drain. i don't even have to lift the car up.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I forgot to mention that the $12 Mobil 1 rebate is currently back on. Time to grab some more.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Rotor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all the tools because I worked on my own cars for years. I get the consumables online, Motul for the 911 and Mobil 1 for the others from Wal-Mart.com and filters from FCP Euro or Autohaus AZ. I used to take my cars to an indy here whom I trusted and thought the prices were OK. He retired and sold to another shop. Their prices are not OK. I've started do much of my own maintenance again. My dislike of being ripped off overrode my laziness.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Misshe11
I don't get this?

Yes, you're missing a good bit.

Most of the neighborhood quick change oil places don't actually drain your oil - they suck it out without pulling the drain plug. On the plus side that means they won't strip the threads in your aluminum oil pan, but they also won't get out even close to all the old oil. Even if they pull the plug and drain it, they don't let it drain long enough. Then there's the oil brand and weight that they use to refill it that doesn't have enough Zinc or Phosphorous to properly protect these engines, nor do they likely know the procedure for properly measuring the oil level in a 997 which means you're probably overfull, which can damage your AOS, or not full enough which can actually damage the motor.

I have difficulty understanding how some people who drive $100,000 cars worry about an extra $50 to have a service like an oil change done properly with the right parts, fluids, and procedures vs. cheaply and quickly, but to each their own.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

I have difficulty understanding how some people who drive $100,000 cars worry about an extra $50 to have a service like an oil change done properly with the right parts, fluids, and procedures vs. cheaply and quickly, but to each their own.
+1

Yves
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM
KeepItTidy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Just got mine done for $160 at an independent

I lol'd.
I Hope OP is doing the work hismelf for the love of it and not for the $10 saving

Quick Reply: Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...