Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017 | 11:52 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Petza914 is spot on again!!!

It's not whether you save $10. At nearly 25K miles a year I'm changing my oil every 75 days. I pull into the garage from work. Then I spend 5 minutes jacking, pulling the drain plug, and swapping the filter. Up the stairs for dinner. Another 10 minutes filling and recycling the oil. Sure beats spending a Saturday morning at the dealer (who charges $300 for the same service).

And I know the job was done right.

And every third change I spend some extra time doing full inspections.
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Sure beats spending a Saturday morning at the dealer
Good point, I can get the done way faster than dealing with a dealer.

FYI: Autozone takes your spent oil for free. So does my local Sunoco station... they all sell it, yes they make money on this. This spent oil is not disposed of, it is resold and reused (think mostly it is burnt for firing industrial plants).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:12 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

I pull into the garage from work. Then I spend 5 minutes jacking, pulling the drain plug, and swapping the filter.
Jeez, way too much info man....
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:15 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

As far as saving more money and going to Wal mart...ugh, my skin crawls walking into that place, would rather order on Amazon. I seriously hate wal mart.

And if I paid the dealership $xxx I would probably get bored, look at some cars, then probably start looking at trading in or leasing something new, that's dangerous.
Old 08-12-2017 | 10:41 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

And I know the job was done right.
^ That. I don't trust the low-paid inexperienced hires they give oil changes to. Tbh I don't trust the shop to use the oil I ask for, and most of them seem to resent it if you bring your own. They want to use what they buy in bulk at a discount and sell at retail.
Old 08-12-2017 | 11:33 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

having a hard time believing I'm reading all this belly-aching. buy a toyota and get an oil change for $20!
Old 08-13-2017 | 11:42 PM
Baron.Eggelbert
Advanced

Originally Posted by keinmitleid
This will be the only time I'll change the oil in my 997.2, I will be getting rid of the car long before it's due for it's next change.

So far I had to buy:
-36mm socket, $20
-Disposable gloves, $10 (I only have cloth mechanic gloves)
-Filter, $20 (going to get oem from dealer nearby)
-Funnel, $2
-Oil, $45
-Oil collector/container, $40
-Gas spent driving around everywhere getting these parts, $10

So I'm basically at $150.
Having just paid $395 at the dealer, still seems like a decent saving.
Old 08-14-2017 | 05:41 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fined
having a hard time believing I'm reading all this belly-aching. buy a toyota and get an oil change for $20!
pes·si·mis·tic
ˌpesəˈmistik/
adjective
adjective: pessimistic
tending to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.
"he was pessimistic about the prospects"
synonyms:
gloomy, negative, defeatist, downbeat, cynical, bleak, fatalistic, dark, black, despairing, despondent, depressed, hopeless
Old 08-14-2017 | 05:46 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Update:

The oil filter/washer/ring was actually $44 at the dealership.

I lost my hex wrench set, so I had to buy a new set at Home Depot which cost $25 (I bought sockets too since I didn't have those either).

So that ups my total oil change cost to $196. The oil change itself was braindead easy, so that was nice.

What a great adventure it has been.
Old 08-14-2017 | 06:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

At $196 you're already ahead by over $150 compared to my local dealer. And you've got drone new tools in the deal. A win all around.
Old 08-15-2017 | 07:46 AM
ilikeyourmom
Rennlist Member

damn! My indy charges $280...I just don't have the time and don't want to screw with the old oil...worth the $$ to me.
Old 08-15-2017 | 09:18 AM
door2416
Instructor

I buy my oil on sale, get the rebate and can do an oil change in thirty minutes for under $30 bucks. That includes cleaning the engine bay while I'm waiting for the oil to drain. No jacking required (optional). This is the easiest car to change oil .
Old 08-15-2017 | 10:31 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Complaining about having to buy new tools is a completely foreign concept to me. Doing so puts your man-card at risk. You have been warned.

It is standard operating procedure to NOT count the cost of new tools in the overall cost of a particular job. Having to buy necessary tools when you tackle a new job should be looked at as a benefit, not a cost.

I believe this is approved in GAAP. If it's not, it should be.

I am building a tree house for my kids. A few weeks ago I bought a very nice magnesium worm-drive Skillsaw. I needed it. Not buying that saw would have put my children's safety at risk. The purchase of that saw helped ease tensions between the US and North Korea. It HAD to be purchased. It will not be reported to the wife as part of the total cost of the job.
Old 08-15-2017 | 01:57 PM
96Tiger
Rennlist Member

So my car is due for an oil change and I would like to do it myself. Suncoast sells an oil filter kit and a drain plug for the 997.2. However if I'm going to do it myself I'd like to add a magnetic plug. Anybody have a source for one? I agree that accumulating new tools is a benefit of DIY work and not a negative.
Old 08-15-2017 | 02:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
So my car is due for an oil change and I would like to do it myself. Suncoast sells an oil filter kit and a drain plug for the 997.2. However if I'm going to do it myself I'd like to add a magnetic plug. Anybody have a source for one? I agree that accumulating new tools is a benefit of DIY work and not a negative.
If the .2 uses the same plug as the .1, then LN Engineering is your source. Also, buy the set of 5 washers so you can use a new one with each oil change.

Quick Reply: Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...