Sponsored by:

Video Inside: Take a listen please

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Video Inside: Take a listen please

Hey guys - been quickly transforming my car into the dedicated track car it is in the below video for the past year now. Car has been phenomenal and sometime after going to straight pipes I have noticed the "noise" in the video that almost sounds like something from a rotating component.
I have new plugs torqued correctly, coils, exhaust gaskets (even fixed an exhaust leak this morning from a header flange), full boost leak tested, new tensioners pulleys, water pump, ps pump etc.
The secondary air pump is also deleted.
My question is does the noise in the video sound simply like a compression backfire due to the straight pipes? If not any other ideas for what it could be? Has been like this for the whole season so far and once again am having no issues with 8 days or so already completed.

My initial thought was exhaust leak but even fixing that didn't change any of the noise. This seems to only occur at idle also - if you listen to my other video of me catching the slide the noise is not present so more leaning me to idle compression or sticking valve, bad lifter?
Thanks - hopefully I am just over thinking it.

Last edited by Jferrante; 05-31-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Lazy chain tensioner? The "What the !!??@&$@ is the noise in my Mezgar engine noise?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ine-noise.html
Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
Lazy chain tensioner? The "What the !!??@&$@ is the noise in my Mezgar engine noise?
hoping something stupid like that. going to bring it in to my indy this weekend and we are hoping it's not a bent rod...could really be a variety of things.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

That doesn't sound good. In a way it sounds like an exhaust leak, but I can detect something metallic slapping around. I would not run it until you have your mechanic check it out.

Good luck, and I hope it is something benign like an exhaust gasket.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
That doesn't sound good. In a way it sounds like an exhaust leak, but I can detect something metallic slapping around. I would not run it until you have your mechanic check it out.

Good luck, and I hope it is something benign like an exhaust gasket.
I checked the exhaust yesterday and no leaks, actually fixed 2 as stated in the original post. we are leaning worse case with bent rod or head gasket. either way would suggest new rods.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

That's not healthy Joe. If it's a lifter you will be able to isolate it easily as it will be coming from one bank or the other and will be isolated to one side of the engine. Use a stethoscope. Good luck. If you end up splitting the engine to do rods, I would install a GT3 pump and crank for a track use engine. Much better than the turbo crank
Old 06-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
That's not healthy Joe. If it's a lifter you will be able to isolate it easily as it will be coming from one bank or the other and will be isolated to one side of the engine. Use a stethoscope. Good luck. If you end up splitting the engine to do rods, I would install a GT3 pump and crank for a track use engine. Much better than the turbo crank
thanks will keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

That sounds exactly like an exhaust leak to me. I know you said nothing's leaking, but that's what it sounds like to me. Like a puff of air out the side gasket of an exhaust manifold.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
That sounds exactly like an exhaust leak to me. I know you said nothing's leaking, but that's what it sounds like to me. Like a puff of air out the side gasket of an exhaust manifold.
Yep pressure tested it no leak from there - we think it may be head gasket - will know soon
Old 06-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Almost certainly not a head gasket leak. The CEL would be on with a misfire error code.

Sounds like a leak at a cylinder exhaust port either a gasket is bad there or a pipe is cracked.

Be sure you have replaced all the metal o-rings that are used to seal each turbo to its exhaust system. My tech sources tell me these should not be reused.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like exhaust leak at the flange at the head or a burnt exhaust valve. You could isolate which cylinder it was (if this is what it is) by using the durametric to turn each injector off and see if it stops. Nice car!!!!!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:38 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Are you running stock manifolds? Previous owner installed headers on my car and when I cracked a header primary tube it sounded like that...

If that isn't it, I agree with John's advice above.

edit: nevermind, I see you've already covered those bases... Good luck and keep us posted with what happens
Old 06-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Almost certainly not a head gasket leak. The CEL would be on with a misfire error code.

Sounds like a leak at a cylinder exhaust port either a gasket is bad there or a pipe is cracked.

Be sure you have replaced all the metal o-rings that are used to seal each turbo to its exhaust system. My tech sources tell me these should not be reused.
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Sounds like exhaust leak at the flange at the head or a burnt exhaust valve. You could isolate which cylinder it was (if this is what it is) by using the durametric to turn each injector off and see if it stops. Nice car!!!!!
Originally Posted by T10Chris
Are you running stock manifolds? Previous owner installed headers on my car and when I cracked a header primary tube it sounded like that...
I am with all you guys - I swore it was exhaust and thats the only reason why I continued to track it with no issue (I am also ruling out bent rods for this exact reason - the engine would be kaput if that were the issue since I have a few days on it since the noise) - I replaced all ring gaskets etc on turbos and what now. tested for leaks and found the header flange leaking and fixed it - noise still there. I am going to double check it again tonight on the lift and make sure no cracks or anything are present and report back.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Block off tail pipe to see if exhaust leak increase. sounds like a lifter to me
Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Well I just double checked everything and there is another exhaust leak - it is at the turbo and waste gate and it seems like a little waste gate shaft play but probably isn't causing it. See video. Also some other smaller leaks so i am going to try and fix them all tonight and see what happens

Quick Reply: Video Inside: Take a listen please