Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHECK IT OUT!!! (Sequential Shifter)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:28 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHECK IT OUT!!! (Sequential Shifter)

You are looking a sequential system designed for the 996 Turbo. FVD was kind enough to allow me to post the first pictures of it on here for you guys to see!!!!! There are 2 versions of the shifter, the first is manual and the other is electromagnetic. Both kits come with a gear display gauge and are VERY COOL. I saw this kit in person last week, so yes it does exist (saw both types). I do not know a ton about it, but I can tell you what I do know:
-Clutch is used for all gears
-Shifter is pushed forward to shift up
-Shifter is pulled back to down shift
-Electromagnetic shifter requires A LOT less force
Well here are the pics(sent to me from FVD)!!!

I do know pricing, but because FVD are not sponsers, I will not advertising pricing on here, please call them for that.
Well I figured you guys would appreciate me showing you this phat new product!!!
Regards,
Evan
(Don't me responsible if i messed somthin up, trying to remember how it was explained to me!!)

Last edited by AMG ETR; 10-28-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Where is the rest of it? You need more than just the shifter to make it work.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are all ready sequential units for the GT3RSR cars, but the biggest difference is the tranny is different as well (straight cut gears)
Can't see a true sequential as an aftermarket unit since you still have to use the clutch, since thats the case, the shifts won't be any faster since you vill have to clutch between each gear change?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:39 PM
cobra06
Pro

It look remarkably similar to the unit made by cartronic, selling for $3600.00

From their description

"Driving a 996 equipped with SQS first needs getting used to but is a real amazing experience then. Shifting is no longer done by the "big H", but simply by pressing forth (one gear down) or pulling back (one up).
The reverse gear is reached over the first one by pulling the block-ring under the **** of the shifter and pressing forth. The digital gear indicator can be mounted anywhere on the dashboard. Cartronic-SQS consists of high-quality material only and is to be mounted easily replacing the original shifter-box. "

Cartronic
Old 10-28-2003, 10:54 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since there's probably a bajillion questions coming about this, I'll try and shed some light on the matter...

It's not a true sequential, all it does is take individual gear selection out of your hands by forcing you to select each gear between the one you're currently in and the one you want to engage (you can't go from 5th to 2nd for instance, you need to go 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd.....or 3 taps forward)..........it seems like this item will do nothing but hinder gear selection.

A true sequential only needs the clutch when coming to and pulling away from a dead stop and is a lot more than just a shifter. The transmission needs to have straight cut gears (which make a very loud whining sound and are not used on the street) along with numerous internal parts strengthened to deal with the stress of literally banging gears.

An electrohydraulic clutch setup like the ones found in BMW's SMG-II and Ferrari's F1 transmissions are "sequential" too, but use a different / inferior system to a true sequential.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:02 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks cool, but I bet I would break the tranny
Old 10-29-2003, 01:16 AM
offroadr35
Instructor

Zamirz did a good job of starting to clear things up but i thought i'd help...

Before a bunch of people start spouting off untrue things let me define a couple types of gearboxes and shifter setups:

Auto: torque converter, planetary gears

Normal manual: usually helical cut gears, shifted in an H-pattern, can shift from 1st-4th or any other combination. Has a clutch that is operated by depressing a pedal.

True Sequential gearbox: almost always straight cut gears. gears have to be selected by going up one or down one: 1-2-3-4-5-6 and back down. There is no clutch needed to change gears although without some other provision you do need a clutch to start off. Most motorcycle gearboxes are sequential boxes. The disadvantages in a street car are that they are very difficult (expensive) to make so that they can deal with lots of torque, also the straight cut gears are very loud and not smooth.

This FVD shifter: Everything is the same as the normal manual but it shifts through the gears sequentially. So there is still the same need for a clutch, just instead of changing the gear from 4-5 going through neutral you will just press up on the shifter. The benefit of this is that it is it eliminates the possibility of selecting the wrong gear, something which has already taken out one Carrera GT.

SMG/F1 style tranny: Basically the same as a normal box with this FVD shifter except the clutch is controlled by a computer.

This is just the basics but hopefully it helps clear up some confusion.

-Steve
Old 10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting that FVD would choose forward for up shifting and back for down shifting. I've really never understood why every manufacturer of auto shift boxes choose this patter when a true race car is back/up and forward/down which only makes sense if you think about the physics involved. When accelerating you are being pushed back, so up shifting by pulling back would be logical and the reverse is true.

I'm not a big car engineer, but I think everyone missed the boat on this one, including FVD with this shifter. However, I would love to have a proper sequential style shifter in my car with or without the clutch, I dont' care.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
GuyR
Racer

True sequential gearboxes do not have to have straight cut gears, they can be helical or semi-helical as well (I have driven various types myself in Skyline GTRs). What they do need is to have dog gearsets that will engage without the use of synchros or clutch. The reason most sequential gearboxes are straight cut is that this loses the least in friction and whilst noisier this is not important since most applications are for race cars.

There are many street driven GTRs in the UK running Holinger (Australian) or OS Giken (Japanese) sequential helical boxes. They are much quieter than the straight cut boxes.

They are great to use and cut a lot of time from quarter-miles times, benefiting turbo cars most by maintaining full boost between shifts (without the need for anti-lag systems). However you have to remember to downshift through every gear whilst slowing. It's no fun when you come to a halt and realise you are still in 6th, since you cannot easily get out of it.

Without the clutchless gearchanges (ie a proper sequential gearbox), I do not see the point of a sequential gearstick alone.

Guy
Old 10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
PN
Instructor

Holinger makes one for the TT/GT2 and it cost about $16000USD parts only
Old 10-29-2003, 04:07 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Originally posted by PN
Holinger makes one for the TT/GT2 and it cost about $16000USD parts only
at that price i can only assume you are talking about a real sequential gearbox.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by offroadr35
at that price i can only assume you are talking about a real sequential gearbox.
And I don't think that includes the shifter which costs about $7k from PMNA.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:15 AM
PN
Instructor

That is what I think the real sequential, the call it "dogbox". No clutch needed when on the move only when engaging first to move. I am not sure what else is needed, but that price is for the complete kit ready to go w/o labor. I assume the shifter is included ?

PN
Old 07-21-2018, 03:56 PM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to revive the really old thread

does anyone have one of these SQS "sequential shifter installed in either a street car or track car? what was the longevity of the system and what were the negatives during ownership ( if any)?
did anyone notice wear to the syncros or other transmission wear?
once installed was there ever any maintenance? what about water and the electrical/ mechanical elements on the system?

any info in appreciated.

also can the system be used with an Electrical auto blip system or does it have to be used with a mechanical one?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Every sequential shifter system that I have ever worked with required a ton of maintenance and repair. They eat syncros. They are really for serious track use only.

Quick Reply: CHECK IT OUT!!! (Sequential Shifter)