Sponsored by:

Best short shifter(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Thanks for the continued help fellas.

Anyone have suggestions on the best/cheapest place selling the 997GT3 and/or 997 SSK?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I believe I got my 997 SSK from my dealer or from Suncoast parts.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:00 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anybody ever put a Shift-right solutions kit into their 997 ssk?

seems like you'd take one of the better SSK's and remove the plastic from it... could be really good

Link: http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution
Old 06-15-2016, 04:40 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Call Neil, Gina, Ryan or Greg at Sonnen Porsche 866.SONNEN1
Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by bugeyemilo
anybody ever put a Shift-right solutions kit into their 997 ssk?

seems like you'd take one of the better SSK's and remove the plastic from it... could be really good

Link: http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution
I installed these to my 997 SSK, works like a charm. Good cheap mod.
https://phenixengineering.com/shop/p...t-bushing-kit/
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
I hope everyone that has one loves it after spending that much coin!
I am a master at rationalization!

The 400 or so for the 997ssk which is still mostly a big hunk of plastic....I got a demo from numeric at a slight discount (600) seems fair to me. A stock 997 from eBay with the function first upgrade would be the best economy option o think.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Call Neil, Gina, Ryan or Greg at Sonnen Porsche 866.SONNEN1
Thanks Kevin...

Josh, Sonnen is across the bay in Marin, so you could pick it up at lunch ;-)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Josh, Sonnen is across the bay in Marin, so you could pick it up at lunch ;-) if that's the one you want.

There also seems to be some question as to which shifter I actually have:

Here are a few pics, perhaps you guys can help positively ID it? I bought it used on Sixspeed. The description reads "OEM Porsche Tequipment GT3 SSK Short Shifter 9X6, 9X7 models. From the Tequipment brochure: 25-33% shift throw reduction, precision needle main bearing, 416 heat treated billet stainless steel stick, 7075-T6 billet aluminum pivot carrier, counter-balanced to reduce shift effort, adjustable neutral stick position, bolt on installation. Exact same shifter used by Porsche on the GT3 Cup cars."

Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
Thanks Kevin...

Josh, Sonnen is across the bay in Marin, so you could pick it up at lunch ;-)
+3 or whatever on Sonnen, Gina and Neil have been a great help.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
Josh, Sonnen is across the bay in Marin, so you could pick it up at lunch ;-) if that's the one you want.

There also seems to be some question as to which shifter I actually have:

Here are a few pics, perhaps you guys can help positively ID it? I bought it used on Sixspeed. The description reads "OEM Porsche Tequipment GT3 SSK Short Shifter 9X6, 9X7 models. From the Tequipment brochure: 25-33% shift throw reduction, precision needle main bearing, 416 heat treated billet stainless steel stick, 7075-T6 billet aluminum pivot carrier, counter-balanced to reduce shift effort, adjustable neutral stick position, bolt on installation. Exact same shifter used by Porsche on the GT3 Cup cars."

That is the one I have installed in my turbo by the PO, He took it into the dealer and asked for the porsche SSK and that is what they installed. Looks like it is made by B&M not porsche,

http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...44-700-26-M543
Old 06-16-2016, 04:30 AM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Ruf shifter.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas42
Love my Ruf shifter.
A pic would be great if possible.
Where to buy?
Thank you.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I posted this info in its own thread a month or 2 ago, but this is probably a worthwhile read to understand what the OEM shifters are comprised of. And please note that the SHIFT-RIGHT kit will not reduce the shifter throw, since it re-uses your existing shift lever.

The Cup shifter came standard on all factory 996 GT3 Cup racecars. It is derived from, and nearly identical to, the street 996 shifter - the cradle, shift lever and housing, and shifter yoke are all carried over from the street unit.

(OEM Cup Car shifter)

The only upgraded components are the shifter bushings (that the shift lever housing rotates left-right within). The street unit utilizes rubber/plastic bushings:

(OEM 996 shifter bushings: plastic sleeve bearing > rubber insulator > plastic snap-in housing)

Whereas the Cup version replaces these with plastic-lined aluminum bushings:

(Cup shifter bushing: plastic sleeve bearing > aluminum threaded housing)

This one difference makes a big improvement over the street unit through increased durability and enhanced shifting precision by eliminating the flex that plagues the plastic bushings. A couple drawbacks, however, still remain with the Cup shifter:

EXCESS SHIFTER PLAY – The aluminum bushings eliminate flex in the shifter mechanism, but the bushings (sleeve/plain bearings) require axial and radial play to prevent binding. When shifting gears, the loads on the shifting mechanism are increased, which further exaggerates the loose tolerances, resulting in imprecise shifting action. Similarly, the shifter yoke rotates about a plain bearing with loose tolerances, so there’s a delay in actuating the shifter cable with side-side shifter motion. This plastic bearing continually degrades over time, resulting in further diminished performance.

(Cup shifter components: plastic yoke sleeve bearing, plastic yoke, and aluminum bushings)

LONG SHIFTER THROW – The throw of the 996 Cup transmission is shorter than on the street transmission - so with equivalent shifters, the throw will always be longer on the street car.
(fore-aft cable travel on the 996.2 Cup car is 38mm, whereas cable travel on a 997.1 Carrera S is 49.5mm)
Therefore, using the Cup shifter on your street car will yield noticeably longer shifter throws, especially when installed on a 997, since the 997 standard throw shifter already reduces shifter throw by 15% versus the 996 standard throw shifter.

In order to address the shortcomings with the OEM shifter, and those that remained with the Cup unit, Function-First Performance developed the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution as a comprehensive kit to transform your OEM shifter into an exacting instrument with which to control the transmission. The retrofit kit replaces the flexible and imprecise OEM pivot points (shifter bushings and yoke) with billet aluminum and heavy-duty ball bearing components, while retaining the factory shifter’s reliable parts (shifter cradle and lever) to ensure longevity under all driving conditions.

(Cup shifter with SHIFT-RIGHT Solution – now essentially a standard 996 shifter with SRS upgrade)

I’ll dissect the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution in an upcoming post to showcase its features and the decisions behind the design, but for now I thought the teardown of the OEM and Cup shifter units would provide some good insight into the inner workings of the factory shifters.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
3point4 (10-16-2023)
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up and explanation. Takes some of the mystery out of this topic.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:21 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Are any of the 3rd party shifters (with shift linkage options) any good? Worth asking because with vendor/reseller discounts they're a considerable amount cheaper!

EVOMS?
  1. http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_Billet_Sh...p/sskevb35.htm
  2. http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_Billet_Sh...e_p/ssl996.htm

Agency Power?
  1. https://www.agency-power.com/shop/bi...xster-996-997/
  2. https://www.agency-power.com/shop/sh...rsche-996-997/

Quick Reply: Best short shifter(s)?